Deodorant: The Experiment

Please keep your posts about natural health and beauty things! This is another popular demand section. So don't prove us wrong and fill it with posts about natural face masks, herbal medicine and anything else you think belongs here.
the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Deodorant: The Experiment

I said that i would test the stainles steel disk this weekend, so i'll be writing about it here.

I used it this morning (well, about 1pm when i finally got dressed...) and i've been shopping.
I dont think i smell,but i don't feel very fresh. Even when using a normal non-anti persirant, i feel fresher than this. Even pitrok makes me feel nicer. I'm not yet convinced, but i will use it til Sunday!

I'm going out tonight and i'll be getting close to my friend (i'm replacing her earrings) so i'll give it another swipe and see how it goes...

Super.Niki
Living the good life
Living the good life

*phew*.... sorry couldn't resist... :mrgreen:
If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants.

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Asyou can see from Nik's reaction, it wasn't successful. I admit it, i gave in. I took my top off earlier and gave i a sniff...and the disk failed me!!

Maybe you have to be stinky already - if a spoon takes away the smell of cooking, maybe the disk needs t have some smell to take away?

I'll give it a go tomorrow, but i don't hold out much hope.

I'm makng some of that natural deodorant tomorrow, so we'll see...

LSP
Tom Good
Tom Good

If I remember the bumpf correctly, you rub it into appropriate area when you uhm start smelling. I mean, you can't keep running to the bathroom to do that, can you, when you are at an important meeting, say?

Thanks for doing the experiment for us, though, and keep us updated. I really appreciate this.
the hanky lady at Organic-Ally and OrganicAlly.Blogspot

mrsflibble
A selfsufficientish Regular
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

much appreciation from me too.

and hey, if a cooking-smell remover works to an extent on sweaty pits... does that mean rubbing a slice of lemon around my armpits will work?! just a thought lol!
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!

QuakerBear

Thank you for experimenting Fee.
QuakerBear

wulf

Were there any positive side effects, like getting a double seat on public transport ;)

Wulf
:read2: Read my blog and check out my music

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

I tried the disc again, and it still failed.

I think that the problem with it is that you have to use it *when* you smell, rather than using it to prevent smells.

If you work alone, or you don't come into contact with others - or if you're happy with your own smell then i think it'd be fine.

I did make the natural deodorant too, and that's great!!! I had a problem the first day because i accidentally put too much Thyme oil in it, so i smelt like a pizza...but i remelted it and added more ingredients and more of the other oils to balance it out, ad i actually smell quite nice now!

So...to conclude:

Stainless Steel Disc: Useless at smell prevention.
Natural Deodorant: Great! Its a bit waxy (its the texture of a waxy lip balm) but it does a great job, just make sure that you soap before shaving (if you're a shaving of the underarms person) or it will clog the razor. It doesn't clog the skin though - you can still sweat.

I think we should make this into a series - get different ishers to try different stuff and review it here. We might be able to get a few companies interested too...

red

recipe for the homemade one?
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Natural Deodorants Recipe

25g Yellow Beeswax
15g Cocoa butter
15g Coconut oil
15 dps Thyme essential oil
15 dps Rosemary essential oil
25 dps Lavender essential oil
5ml Castor oil

Melt the beeswax, butters and oils in a double boiler. Allow to cool slightly then stir in the EO's. Pour into a twist up stick cylinder (like a large lip balm tube) and allow to set. One of the members suggested recycling old large 'Pritt Stick' like glue dispensers or old push up deodorant packaging.

You can get the sticks from www.baseformula.com They're pretty good, they have the essential oils there too.

The rest of the ingredients i got from www.fresholi.co.uk They don't do beeswax, but they do do Olive wax, which is the vegan alternative. Its a bit softer too, so will probably make the deodorant less waxy. I'm planning to use olive wax next time.

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Deodorant: The Experiment

Bumping to display recipe.

I still think we should get Ishers to review stuff...

lazyspice
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I've got most of the ingredients listed so I'll order the rest and give this a try :thumbright:

eccentric_emma

that looks good. thanks for suggesting a vegan alternative to beeswax as i've never heard of olive wax before, and a lot of natural beauty recipes contain beeswax and i wanted to know how i could veganise it!
Off grid retreats, rustic cottages, yoga holidays and more in the midst of nature in Central Portugal

http://www.pureportugalholidays.com

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

No problem. I haven't give it a go with the olive wax, so let me know if it makes a nice softish balmy texture.

Broad Bean
Tom Good
Tom Good

I use a crystal deoderant and have yet to find any disadvantages associated with it.