Mouses help !

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
Sue 47
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Mouses help !

Hi All ,
I have got a mouse in the house - well a lot more than one methinks - and they are driving me nuts ! They are into everything and I don't know how to get rid of them - nicely ! I hate traps as they don't always kill them - horrid . I have a humane trap but then I don't know what to do with the live mouses I catch . How far away should I take them ?! I just let one go outside our gate -( as I wasn't going further with me nightie on ) and it was back in the kitchen before I was ! I have two electronic plugged in things which are a waste of time and I heard that mice don't like mint so I stuffed a load of mint in a hole where they come out but they have just tramped all over it - arghh ! There MUST be some kind of herb or something that I could put down to deter them . I could probably do with a cat but my husband isn't a cat person.
Any ideas anyone ?!
Sue x

Lyds
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Hi! I had the same problem last autumn. This little lot were lodging under the floorboards of the understairs cupboard. I have a trap which never fails and is instant death. It may sound horrid but I got 6 over a couple of days. With the catch-em-and-let-em-go type you have to take the mice at least 2 miles away or they return. Go to a good ironmonger and ask for a trap called the Little Nipper, and forget the cheese, raisins are the best bait to use. Sorry if this sounds heartless but mice are vermin in the house and wildlife in the garden. :roll:

ina
A selfsufficientish Regular

If it's only one or a few holes they are coming through, can't you try and block them a bit more permanently than with mint? I had some kind of animal in my former flat - I think it was something rather larger than a mouse, but I never saw it - and as it chewed it's way through a wooden floor and a door, I had to use a solid plastic board and glass to block it off.

Or give your husband an ultimatum - either he gets rid of the mice, or you get yourself a cat... :wink:

I had best results in a trap with nuts, by the way. Managed to catch 10 mice once with just one hazelnut - they took one bite and it came down on them. Anything softer they ate without setting the trap off.

Ina

2steps

double posted by mistake :oops:
Last edited by 2steps on Sun Sep 04, 2005 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2steps

we had some mice last winter but they only stayed untill the weather warmed up. I could hear them sometimes in the celing and we saw a few - they were so tiny. I couldn't of killed them, other than chewing through a few cereal bags they did no harm and we soled that by using old baby milk tins from a friend to store it

I think lavender is suppose to deter mice

whitelegg1
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

For bait....we use chocolate smeared in peanut butter..Never fails.. Also we tried a humane trap, but had the no what? problem... So it was the trusty snap trap, if you restrict the access to the trap then you almost always get the neck...

For herbs, I read that the don't like peppermint.

Also you could try some well used cat litter....smell of cat= CAT in a mouse mind....

We also have a couple of the ultrasonic deterents in the garage, not sure if they work...

Good luck