If the bees die, we are all dooooomed!

Politics, news, current affairs and anything else that you think should be here goes here.
Chickenlady
A selfsufficientish Regular

If the bees die, we are all dooooomed!

Article from the Ecologist online:

Scientists at Landau University in Germany have demonstrated that the electromagnetic radiation emitted by mobile phones and base stations can interfere with the bees' navigation systems, making them unable to find their way back to their hives.

In an experiment conducted by the researchers, bees refused to return to a hive when a mobile phone was placed nearby.

Although the study is not conclusive, it does offer one possible explanation for a worldwide decline in the bee population which no-one has so far been able to explain. Colony Collapse Disorder (CCD) has led to a massive 60 per cent decline in the number of commercially kept bees on America's West Coast, and a 70 per cent decline on the East Coast.

In the UK, one bee-keeper in London found over half of his hives mysteriously abandoned. There are also reports of CCD in Germany, Switzerland, Spain, Portugal, Italy and Greece.

The Department for the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) denies that CCD is occuring in the UK.

Bees are vital for human survival since they pollinate nearly all our crops. Albert Einstein famously said that if bees were to suddenly disappear, 'man would have only four years of life left'.

I had heard that about bees before. We are trying to get some mason bees into our garden to help with pollination. We have 5 mobile phones in our house. :pale:
Haste makes waste

hedgewitch

Hmmmm interesting.

I do know that the pesticides the town hall spray where I live don't help matters either.

Poor bees.
:cry:
My Blog
My Website

Plant Seeds and sing songs.

The Riff-Raff Element

Very, very interesting.

This is another arguement for me to trot out when I am next hassled about my reluctance to join the 21st century and get one of the infernal devices. I also makes me even keener to get a hive or two in the garden. We've have some very disappointing fruit yields (particularly of cherries) in the past couple of years, partly I believe, because there are fewer bees around here.

ina

Chickenlady - can you post the link to that article, please? The one I come up with on the Ecologist website (just a few days old) doesn't state this as fact yet, only as suspicion...

I would be most interested in hearing any proof, one way or another. Partly because I'm still hoping to get my own colonies this year (yes, I know, I've been talking about it for years :oops: ); partly because I hate blimming mobiles anyway, and it would be good to have another point to quote against them in arguments :mrgreen: - and also because I am seriously worried what will become of all those plants that depend on insect pollination (and us and other animals who depend on the plants for food) if we lose even more bees!
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

snapdragon
latitude: 51.253841
longitude: -1.612340

I heard about the bee problem on a radio programme, but they didn't mention this
I own mobiles but would willingly give them up if this is what happens - but the mobile companies will be fighting it I guess
Say what you mean and be who you are, Those who mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind
:happy6:

Chickenlady

[quote="ina"]Chickenlady - can you post the link to that article, please? The one I come up with on the Ecologist website (just a few days old) doesn't state this as fact yet, only as suspicion...

quote]

It came via the email newsletter - maybe you can only get to the links if you subscribe. Anyhow, here goes:
http://www.theecologist.org/archive_det ... ent_id=865

Hope it works. Also, it outlines a campaign to save the bees:
http://www.theecologist.org/archive_det ... nt_id=1171

It really is such a good magazine, really worth the money. Subscribe!!
Haste makes waste

contadina

There is still no definitive answer as to what causes CCD but I think that mobile phone use is a bit or a red herring.

As CCD has not troubled organic beekeepers nor wild bees it seems more likely that the cause is related to the pesticides that commercial beekeepers use to fumigate hives to eradicate varroa mites and the antibiotics that they feed their bees. These are hyper-bred bees and it seems that messing around with nature is at the heart of the problem.

http://www.celsias.com/2007/04/24/cell- ... -overhype/

ina

Chickenlady wrote: It really is such a good magazine, really worth the money. Subscribe!!
I get the paper version, and it's not in there!

Anyway, here I go - I'll give it a try.
Ina

ina

That article is from last year, that's why it's not in the current edition. Anyway, here is the latest article, and you'll see that the mobile phone is only suspected of being one of the possible causes...

http://www.theecologist.org/archive_det ... nt_id=1170

I did hear last year that the German research that was widely quoted had been wrongly translated - in Germany, mobiles are called handies, and they were actually talking about cordless phones... But I've never seen the original paper, so I have no idea whether that's just another rumour or truth!

Shame - I wish it was true; at least we'd know what's what.
Ina

QuakerBear

The wonderful chap who taught us beekeeping had his own theory on CCD (he's been keeping for centuries so is usually right on such things). He suggested that bees are falling victims to the parasites and virus's they've already got and have always had. As winters are becoming warmer and less harsh the weeker bees are not dying and the bee parasites and virus's are not being reduced to the low level that they once were. As a result of this hives are now going into spring with more weak, unhealthy bees to support and a higher level of parasites and virus's in the general population making all of the hive slightly less robust and thus more vulnerable to set backs that a small strong hive would usually be able to overcome.

In combination with this, one of the ways bees communicate is through smells, so if there are a lot of smelly chemicals around this might mask the bee smells and confuse them.

I'm not convinced on the mobile phone theory since I'm sure bees do allot of long range navigation using the position of the sun to work out directions, hence why the waggle dance works. For short distance navigation they usually use visual relative markers, which is why you can split colonies by using two hives. They may know they live in the hive on the left, but bee keepers have big strong arms so can switch which hive is on the left :lol: I wouldn't mind being proved wrong on this though.

Fascinating subject bees. Former govenor of the Bank of England kept bees on the roof of the Bank of England. Sherlock Holmes retired to Surrey to keep bees.
QuakerBear

ina

As far as I know, CCD involves the colonies more or less disappearing over night - if your chap was right, you'd see lots of dead bees lying around, but this doesn't happen!

But I agree, I also think it's a combination of factors.
Ina

QuakerBear

Good point Ina.

I wonder if they (the bees) realise that their colony is weak and they all fly off to start separate, small colonies with emergency queens. But then we'd see lots of tiny little wild hives wouldn't we.

Hhhmm :?
QuakerBear