The Great Land Use Debate

Politics, news, current affairs and anything else that you think should be here goes here.
ina
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

The Great Land Use Debate

I think this may interest a few of you... It's part of the festival of social science/ natinoal science and engineering week.

"What is our rural land for and what do we expect from it? Should farmers be diversifying into energy crops or concentrating on feeding the nation? And is it reasonable to expect them to be competitive food businesses as well as managers and guardians of wildlife and landscapes? When floods overwhelm urban areas should that just be a problem for the individuals and businesses affected? Or should country dwellers be prepared to sacrifice rural land for flood storage?"

http://greatlandusedebate.wordpress.com/
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

9ball
Living the good life
Living the good life

From what I can tell everything the current government is doing is to turn the countryside into a playground for people in the cities - as far as they are concerned farmers are not there to produce food any more.
Tom