Farmers Markets

If you know of a way to help save our planet, even just a small part of it put it here. Also if you want to ask how to help, or even if you want to promote your environmental organisation. All goes here.
Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Farmers Markets

Another way we can help is to give up on supermarkets, they dictate the size and shape of many of our fruits and veg. I don't frankly care if I have a funny shaped apple. It is far better to shop locally at a farmers market and get odd shaped foods than have produce flown in from the other side of the world. The stuff I grow myself is funny shaped at times and there is no way I would chuck any for looking odd.

Here in Bath we have a farmers market every Saturday and sometimes on a Wednesday. It is a good place to pick up organic fruit and veg. It is right under the nose of the local Sainsbury's too. We could do with a more regular one, but hey it does the job.
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

greenchi
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Hi Andy, I sell at a farmers market near me.
I think people like to meet the person that grew the food they feed their children and themselves with. Many of them have visited my property and seen where their salads, spuds and cauliflower grew...

Farmers Markets are new and unfamiliar here.... I'd love to visit a big well established one.

tell me about the one you visit..... how many sellers are there? Does the seller have to be the grower? Is it all organic? Certified?
It takes both sunshine and rain to make the garden bloom.

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

greenchi wrote:Hi Andy, I sell at a farmers market near me.
I think people like to meet the person that grew the food they feed their children and themselves with. Many of them have visited my property and seen where their salads, spuds and cauliflower grew...

Farmers Markets are new and unfamiliar here.... I'd love to visit a big well established one.

tell me about the one you visit..... how many sellers are there? Does the seller have to be the grower? Is it all organic? Certified?
Yes organic all certified by the soil association. Normally about 20 or so sellers, although you do get bigger farmers markets across the country. I think the biggest is in canterbury. Not sure if the seller is the grower too, I think more often thant not they are not. (at least not at the one I visit)
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

jordan

do you guys know of like a worldwide farmers market website for locating them or anything of that nature?
thanks

Jordan

Millymollymandy
A selfsufficientish Regular

What is a farmers' market? What's the difference between that and a normal market which sells fruit and veg?

cheap&cheerful
Tom Good
Tom Good

As far as I'm aware.

A farmers market is where the people that have grown it, sell it.

A market stall trader would probably of got his stock from a wholesaler.

I know where your question is coming from MMM. In France most market stalls are run by people who have grown or raised their own animals or produce. Aside possibly from the fish stalls.

Jill.. :flower:

Millymollymandy

It's more that everyone seems to be talking about 'Farmers Markets' whilst I remember there always being loads of markets (with fruit and veg amongst the tat) anyway, even when I lived in London they were thriving. So I wondered if there was a difference.

I used to work nr. Chancery Lane in London and Leather Lane market was very good - the best was when they had a stall selling just avocados or sweetcorn or globe artichokes - at really low prices (3 or 5 for a £) which I'd buy on the way home (they were always right by the tube station). That's the sort of thing I miss (but not the tube or London or working in an office!!!). :flower:

I suppose at Farmers Markets you don't get the nylon blouse and handbag tat stalls. That must be great!

ina

Hi MMM

Try this link:

http://www.farmersmarkets.net/

No nylon blouses, you are right. But there is a fish stall and some other produce on the markets that I visit that are not straight from tghe farmers - all very local, though. Homebaking, jams etc.

Ina

Millymollymandy

Thanks Ina, they sound great!

Wormella
Barbara Good
Barbara Good
latitude: 52.8045
longitude: -2.1154

There's some rule of thumb that all the produce has to come from a 100 mile radius of the market.

Ours is quite good but a bit limited.