Seitan

You all seem to be such proficient chefs. Well here is a place to share some of that cooking knowledge. Or do you have a cooking problem? Ask away. Jams and chutneys go here too.
hedgewitch
A selfsufficientish Regular

I've been wondering about baking this instead.
How long did you bake it for?
My Blog
My Website

Plant Seeds and sing songs.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

About 30-40mins (about 180oC). Just till it looked done. It probably could have stood a little longer in the oven - the middle was a bit soft when I cut it into ribs. I didn't bother though because it was being cooked again anyway, on the barbie.
Maggie
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

lucy.lists
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

I'm also struggling for vegetarian alternatives in France. Those pictures that Hedgewitch posted look yum!

just a few Qs: the first pics, of the slices, is that after cooking in the broth, or did you cook it again before cutting it up?

The particularly yummy-looking casserole: did you cook it in the broth, then cut it into chunks, then bung it straight in the casserole, or did you fry it or anything first?

has anyone tried making it into burger shapes or anything? At what stage do you 'shape' it?

Thanks in advance

Lucy

hedgewitch

The slices are after it's been cooked in the broth.
Leave it to cool then slice it up into chunks. Prepare your casserole veg like normal then add the seitan chunks and your stock and then put in the oven.

I've not tried making it into burgers but it's nice sliced into fillet shapes, coated in garlicky breadcrumbs and then fried or BBQ'd.

The shaping process takes place before the boiling but it's not easy to shape into anything apart from a dumpling shape.

Here's the casserole recipe for you anyway

Ingredients
200g Seitan
Olive oil
1 large carrot, peeled and sliced
2 rings green bell pepper, sliced
2 rings red bell pepper, sliced
1 small onion, thinly sliced
1 clove garlic, diced
8 medium mushrooms, quartered
1 pint vegetable broth
half teaspoon Italian Herbs
half teaspoon Marmite
1 Tblsp Bisto Gravy Granules
salt and pepper to taste

Method
Fry the peppers in the olive oil for 5 mins then add the sliced carrot. Cook for 10 mins stirring regularly.
Add the mushrooms and cook for another 10 mins stirring regularly. Add the onion and then the garlic cook for another 10 mins. Chop up the seitan into bite size chunks and add to the pan. Stir and cook for 5 mins. Add the broth, Marmite and herbs. Place the lid on the pan and simmer for a good half hour - stirring often. Take off the heat and stir in the gravy granules. Salt and pepper to taste.
Leave to marinade for an hour and just before serving, pour into a casserole dish and bake in the oven for 25-35 mins at 180 degrees. Cover with the lid after 10 mins.
My Blog
My Website

lucy.lists

Yummy, thanks for that recipe Hedgewitch.

Just one other Q (sorry!): reading the instructions it says to shape the uncooked dough into several thin cutlets ... looking at your pic of it cooking in the broth, is that one cutlet - it looks huge? Or did you put all the cutlets in the broth one after the other and they joined together. I'm just wondering what size pot I'd need to use!

Sorry if I'm being dense. :-)

hedgewitch

I didn't bother to shape it before cooking it in the broth, I just cooked it whole and then sliced it up afterwards.
My Blog
My Website

lucy.lists

hedgewitch wrote:I didn't bother to shape it before cooking it in the broth, I just cooked it whole and then sliced it up afterwards.
Ah! That explains it. I was envisaging ending up with several cooked 'cutlets' of that size, and wondering what I'd do with them all as well as where I'd find a pot big enough!

Thanks. Now just need to find out where I can buy the flour in France.

Lady Willow
Living the good life
Living the good life

I've had "Make Seitan" on my mental list of things to do for ages. But I can't buy gluten flour here (France) and it's soooo expensive to have shipped out.

To the original poster - how about making your own tofu (the stuff they sell in France is rank!). Is really easy, costs pennies and is a lot tastier than shop-bought stuff. Easier still if you have a soya milk maker.

I use TVP in chilli and an occasional stuffed courgette, but don't buy any processed veggie stuff... I've rarely found anything I like better than home cooked and it's always so high in salt and sugar.

hedgewitch

Forget that first recipe for seitan I posted. I have been experimenting with this for the last two weeks and I have found THE ULTIMATE seitan recipe.
This stuff is so seriously good you'll be amazed at how ridiculously easy it is.

I realise Cups is an actual proper measurement but for ease I just use a regular mug and use the same mug for all the ingredients - it works just fine.

Dry Ingredients
1.5 cups wheat gluten
1/4 cup nutritional yeast flakes
1 tsp garlic salt
2 tsps pepper (I used white)
1/4 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp rosemary

Liquid Ingredients

3/4 cup Bisto gravy (made really thick)
1 Tblsp Tamari
2 Tblsp Olive Oil
1/2 Tblsp Soy Sauce
1 Clove of garlic squeezed through a garlic mincer
2 Tblsp Water

Method

Mix dry ingredients in a bowl, really well. Mix liquid ingredients in a separate bowl then add to dry ingredients. Whisk well with a fork so as everything is incorporated and forms into a dough. Knead dough for a few mins.

Double wrap in lightly oiled tin foil. If you want to shape the dough into a sausage then do so, rolling the foil round tightly and then twisting the ends.
Bake in a pre heated oven at 200 degrees for 90 mins - turning over halfway through. Unwrap the seitan and leave to cool completely.

This is delicious sliced and used in sandwiches or in a salad. I cut half of mine into chunks and used in a casserole.

Seriously yum!!
My Blog
My Website

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Looks delicious!

Must make some...

What's the tofu recipe Aradia? I'd be interested in that too!

hedgewitch

Aradia wrote:I've had "Make Seitan" on my mental list of things to do for ages. But I can't buy gluten flour here (France) and it's soooo expensive to have shipped out.
I wouldn't mind posting you a bag Aradia. We could do an exchange if you like (what ya got?)

A 500g bag here costs me €2.95 - not expensive at all.
My Blog
My Website

Lady Willow
Living the good life
Living the good life

hedgewitch wrote: I wouldn't mind posting you a bag Aradia. We could do an exchange if you like (what ya got?)

A 500g bag here costs me €2.95 - not expensive at all.
Would you? :love4: That would be really kind.

Now, what to swap??? How about a selection of hand-made vegan chocolates? Couldn't make 'em and send 'em until later in the year though or they'll melt into a gloop.

(mmmm chocoalte gloop . mmmmmm)

titch7069
Tom Good
Tom Good

not being picky (i hope) but if a vegetarian why not eat veg, rather than meat substitute? we are 90% veggie here but eat fish, the rest is veg and pulses, i don't get why you you would want a flesh substitute?
Have sold up in the UK, now living on Mafia Island, in the middle of an old coconut plantation. We catch our fish, have chickens, grow fruit and veg. We are powered by solar and an ankur gasifier - no mains elec here!!
My blog is at www.travelblog.org/Bloggers/titch

Lady Willow
Living the good life
Living the good life

What meat subsitute? If you mean tofu/seitan, then I certainly don't consider them to be a meat subsitute.

And your diet is 90% veggie ... if you eat fish, then you're not veggie

Lady Willow
Living the good life
Living the good life

the.fee.fairy wrote:Looks delicious!

Must make some...

What's the tofu recipe Aradia? I'd be interested in that too!
The tofu recipe (Goan Tofu Curry) is on the second page of this thread .. .. I highly recommend it, it's very moreish!

http://www.selfsufficientish.com/forum/ ... c&start=15