does anyone have

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
mrsflibble
A selfsufficientish Regular
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

does anyone have

a memory foam mattress? are they good? TJHughes have one on offer that's within our new mattress budget... our sprung one is chronic after 3.5 years of being on a broken bed base. bed base is now fixed, but the mattress can't be :( neither of us are sleeping well and we've come to the conclusion that things like this are why we have an emergency credit card and a little money in savings lol!
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!

hedgewitch

Re: does anyone have

I would like to know this too as our mattress is completely bugguggered and I haven't had a decent nights sleep in months.
My Blog
My Website

Plant Seeds and sing songs.

old tree man
latitude: 54.5619 N
longitude: 0.9874 W
Facebook Name: Don't have one

Yes :cheers: :cheers: Jane and i could not do without our memory foam mattress, with janes condition it is the only thing that allows her to sleep comfortably also helps me too, you may find that you will sleep warmer as the mattress moulds around you, it also helps if one partner is heavier than the other as you do not get the roll in affect :oops: (as i am alot bigger than jane :lol: ) at fist the initial financial outlay was quite expencive but worth every penny in the long run. we love it.
all the best
Russ :flower:
Respect to all, be kind to all and you shall reap what you sow.
old tree man,
aka..... Russ

SarahJane
Living the good life
Living the good life

I recently bought a new bed base but then it came to looking for mattresses and I couldnt believe the prices! So for now I am stuck with the old mattress, but I think I will look into this memory mattress thing when I have saved up some money. :flower:

Big Al

I have had one for a few years now, well since 1999 to be honest. I bought the tempur pedic http://www.tempur.co.uk/tempurUK/ one which is the original one that was designed for the nasa space astronauts.

It was very exspensive at around £1500 but ours is a king size, 150mm deep of memory foam and as I said was the first one out. The prices have come now to around £1000 for the tempur but they do have a 60 day trial period where you can get your money back but you have to go to tempur direct for that offer.
Because it supports the body there is no roll together so if you are heavier / lighter than your partner you will both get a good sleep. Mine is coming up to 9 years old now and we are not light people so it gets some abuse from the weight but it springs back into shape instantly the moment you get up.

We had to save up over 4 years for the matress and saving maybe a couple of quid some weeks but it was a goal and we got there. After all how many matreses would you buy in 15 years and if the garuntee is for 15 years then it will probably last a good few extra.
Again I bought a pillow and that has helped the severe kneck pain and headaches. I'm well knackered and will be happy to make 60 before I check out but I can really recomend the tempur matreses and pillows.

HTH

Alan
Last edited by Big Al on Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Member of the Ishloss weight group 2013. starting weight 296.00 pounds on 01.01.2013. Now minus 0.20 pounds total THIS WEEK - 0.20 pounds Now over 320 pounds and couldn't give a fig...
Secret Asparagus binger

KellyB
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

We wanted to buy one but when we found out that they made you warmer we opted for a latex matress we have a relaxan one and it wasn't too expensive either. Saffie also has one in her cot and she loves it too I'd never ever buy a sprung mattress again.

rockchick
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I don't have one but we did get a new bed and mattress (sprung) about 18 months ago, it was worth every penny! I'm not saying get a sprung mattress, just don't feel bad about the expense it really is worth paying for a quality mattress. I now wonder why we spent soooo long sleeping on our old really cheap lumpy wonky donkey nightmare of a bed!

Big Al

rockchick wrote:I don't have one but we did get a new bed and mattress (sprung) about 18 months ago, it was worth every penny! I'm not saying get a sprung mattress, just don't feel bad about the expense it really is worth paying for a quality mattress. I now wonder why we spent soooo long sleeping on our old really cheap lumpy wonky donkey nightmare of a bed!
Talking of wonkey donkeys prior to the one prior to the tempur (??) I had a wind up bed.
It was from the victorian era and it was a large wooden frame with a tight chainmail spring that was attached to the top of the frame. At the bottom there were two large nuts and you could wind these in with a crank handle and the more you wound them in the harder the spring was. This gave you the choice of a soft or firm bed spring and on top of that I had a flock and horse hair matress which REALLY WAS LUMPY !!!
Member of the Ishloss weight group 2013. starting weight 296.00 pounds on 01.01.2013. Now minus 0.20 pounds total THIS WEEK - 0.20 pounds Now over 320 pounds and couldn't give a fig...
Secret Asparagus binger

Graye

No we haven't got a memory foam one but I bought us a new extra-firm mattress about 6 months ago which is sprung. It was very good value for money, I ordered it online and it was delivered NEXT DAY! We had the extra firm one because we both have back problems and this seems to suit us. We are both thinnish so no "roll together" problems but it's so firm I can't see that being a problem anyway. Ours is on a very basic pine slatted bedstead (£30 from the local auction) and it it just SO comfortable. I'll pm you the website if you are interested.
Growing old is much better then the alternative!

mrsflibble

well tj Hughes have a silent night memory foam one for £250 (ksize) atm so w're going to go to the loal silent night speialist and try one out lol!
i know it's sprung in the middle with a big wad of mem foam on the outside.

sorry for worse than usual typing; I'm sitting oss legged ion MAdam Cholet's livingroom floo and i'm sligh;ty drunk too. :drunken:
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very

Millymollymandy

We bought one of the special foam ones with the base that goes with it but in no time it was dipped and sagging. Not long after we had to buy a new bed (moved house and couldn't get a king sized bed base up the stairs!) and this time opted for individual sprung mattresses which are a million times more comfortable - in effect we have two custom sized single beds clipped together (to get up the stairs). So personally I don't like a bed that dips then 'remembers' that dipped shape as it just makes your back worse! :roll:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

QuakerBear

We have a lovely hard futon. Hard beds are good for humans. Prefer to sleap on the floor rather then an overly soft bed.
QuakerBear

mrsflibble

our ast mattress was an extra firm one with side supports, anti-roll (we're both a bit chunky) and it's been terrible since about a year after we bought it. We're going to go and lie on a few in bed shops, thenprobably try and order whichever one we like from the internet.