Rejuvenating old car batteries

Solar energy, wind turbines whatever it is then here is your place to talk about it.
mamos
Living the good life
Living the good life

Rejuvenating old car batteries

I read somewhere on the web that there was a way of rejuvenating old car batteries so you could get a few more year work out of them.

It involved a special kind of charger and a process called de-sulfinating or something.

I can't seem to find anything on it now

Anyone got any ideas

mamos
If you are interested in Self Reliance, Frugal Living, Gardening and becoming Debt Free, follow my Blog Tiny Allotment

mamos
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: Rejuvenating old car batteries

Thanks John

That is the sort of thing

The article I read was from a guy who made a living buying old batteries, rejuvenating them and selling them on

It is an idea for off grid living what with batteries being a large proportion of the investment.

You would need to love getting dirty in scrapyards and would need space but

mamos
If you are interested in Self Reliance, Frugal Living, Gardening and becoming Debt Free, follow my Blog Tiny Allotment

camillitech
Living the good life
Living the good life

Morning M,

don't waste your time with car/truck or so called 'marine' batteries even when new they are totally unsuitable for off grid or renewable type installations. They are designed for high load discharge over short periods, like when you use the starter motor. To do this they have many thin plates, deep cycle batteries like what you require on the other hand have much fewer but thicker plates. I have lived off grid since 1985 and it took me 15 years, allot of money and many so called heavy duty car type batteries to discover this. Had I had the internet then or bothered to dome some research I would have saved myself allot of time, effort and money and I wouldn't have a mountain of old batteries on my croft to dispose of :?

Good Luck, Paul
please bear in mind when reading this post that i'm a taurus so prone to talking bull.

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

mamos
Living the good life
Living the good life

Thanks Paul

I was thinking more of large traction batteries as used in forklift trucks etc

mamos

camillitech
Living the good life
Living the good life

mamos wrote:Thanks Paul

I was thinking more of large traction batteries as used in forklift trucks etc

mamos

AH Forklift truck batteries :cheers: now your talking :wink: That's just what I use.

Good Luck, Paul
please bear in mind when reading this post that i'm a taurus so prone to talking bull.

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

mamos
Living the good life
Living the good life

If you know a little about electronics check out this link and save thousands on batteries

http://home.comcast.net/~ddenhardt20126 ... fparts.htm

mamos