raspberries - from lidls or homebase?

Want to talk about fruit and nuts? Got any problems? Here's your place to post.
barefootlinzi
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

raspberries - from lidls or homebase?

I was in homebase today and they are doing bare rooted raspberry canes or £1.99. I was going to get mine at lidls on saturday for £1.49 each but am wondering if it is better to pay 50p more and get them from homebase...would they be better/more likely not to fail? It would be false economy to get them cheap but they don't grow!What should I do?
There is no other organ like the uterus. If men had such an organ they would brag about it.

Earth mama to two beautiful boys

evelyn
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Re: raspberries - from lidls or homebase?

Being skint myself i would get the cheeper ones and give them a good feed of muck and in about two months a good feed of potash, then it is upto them to get on with it.

Good luck

Eve

MuddyWitch
A selfsufficientish Regular
latitude: 52.643985
longitude: -1.052939

They are probably the same stock ;)

So I'd say go for value & do as Evelyn suggests.

MW
If it isn't a Greyhound, it's just a dog!

Millymollymandy

Do they give you any information as to the variety and whether they are summer or autumn fruiting canes? I wouldn't buy any old cane just because it was cheap. You need to know how to prune it!
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

Rosendula

My immediate thoughts are that you should go for the Lidl ones, not just because they're cheaper. Neither Lidl or Homebase are particularly good at looking after plants in my experience of our local stores. However, Homebase has a lot of stock and the plants you see may have been there quite a while. Lidl has a fast stock turn-over which mean the plants haven't been hanging around getting neglected for several weeks.

Why not see if you can get the Lidl ones first? They might have sold out by the time you get there anyway, which means you can then nip across to Homebase and buy theirs. Examine the plants well to make sure they're healthy and undamaged.
Rosey xx

bodrighy
Tom Good
Tom Good

Rosendula wrote:My immediate thoughts are that you should go for the Lidl ones, not just because they're cheaper. Neither Lidl or Homebase are particularly good at looking after plants in my experience of our local stores. However, Homebase has a lot of stock and the plants you see may have been there quite a while. Lidl has a fast stock turn-over which mean the plants haven't been hanging around getting neglected for several weeks.

Why not see if you can get the Lidl ones first? They might have sold out by the time you get there anyway, which means you can then nip across to Homebase and buy theirs. Examine the plants well to make sure they're healthy and undamaged.
Lidl definitely have a quick turn over. Oyr two local ones in Falmouth and Helaston sold out of the fruit bushes within an hour of getting them on the shelves this morning apparently. :angryfire:

Pete
Mistakes are serendipity in disguise

http://www.bodrighy.co.uk

complete catalogue Includes naff stuff as well

barefootlinzi
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I got 4 from lidls this morning, there was only 1 raspbery left after that!
There is no other organ like the uterus. If men had such an organ they would brag about it.

Millymollymandy

I'll ask again.
Do they tell you the name of the variety of the raspberry and give you information on whether it is a summer or autumn fruiting variety? If you are a newbie to raspberries you MUST know these details before buying or you won't have a clue when to prune and could end up with no raspberries at all! Also some varieties are rubbish and others are very good and it is well worth spending some time researching before buying and then buying from a reputable place.

barefootlinzi
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

There is no need for the bold type. I usually have a little one hanging off me and as such I sometimes accidently miss a post.

And the answer is no to whether it is summer or autumn fruiting, but there are instructions for pruning.

EDITED TO SAY:

I have just looked at the packaging and they fruit in aug/sept which suggests to me that they are autumn fruiting raspberries

Millymollymandy

That's good then! I was asking cos I so often see fruit bushes in supermarkets which don't even tell you the variety.

MikeM
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

is that £1.99 for one cane? If so it seems expensive to me, especially for something you don't know the provenence of.
Hypocrite slayer for hire. So many hypocrites, so little time.

dave45

You could try Poundland or one of the pound shops - they often have small fruit bushes for a pound. Mine were hidden behind the toothpaste.

Rohen
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I find the best thing if you want things from Lidl is to get there at 8am on the dot when they open then you pick and choose

Just lately I went and got two sets of netting for 4,99 and got two packs because of the amount of cherry trees I have

Same when they were selling goose berry and red currant and blackcurrant and blue berry plants

I picked up a passiflora and peony yesterday aswell

I wanted a clematis but I couldnt reconcile that with my budget
Rohen the Dobermann owner