bin diver and proud ;)

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
mrsflibble
A selfsufficientish Regular
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

bin diver and proud ;)

on the way home from the dentist this afternoon, little daughter and a toy elephant in tow, I got a small chest of black ash drawers which are currently in my garden having recieved a coat of paint :lol: left over cupboard paint from the kitchen, wootwoot.

the bloke who was putting his stuff out on the green with a sign saying "free" brought it nearly all the way home for me cos he lives just at the end of my road. it's going in my bedroom, probably under the cshelves as that's about the only place it'll fit. whatever, it's big enough for my t shirts and leggings lol!!

then when i got back from the corner shop after dropping off the drawers and picking up a bag for life, my neighbour Martin was chucking out some willow fencing he's only had up for about 4 months. I said "you getting rid of that?" he said "Yep, now we have the new [fence] pannels, we don't need it" I then said "do you mind if we have it?" he said "be my guest, want me to drag it in for you?" wootwoot!! i took 3 of his 4 rolls. i didnt want to seem overly greedy or pikie lol!!
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!

prison break fan

Re: bin diver and proud ;)

how exciting! I am just waiting for a neighbour to come home from work so that I can scrounge the old water tank he has put in his skip. It will be perfect down my allotment! I love something for nothing!! pbf.

MuddyWitch
latitude: 52.643985
longitude: -1.052939

Most of our neighbours check with us first before going to the tip! Our conservatory is partly built using 'Sharon Glass' (old d/g doors from friend's house) and 'Norman Door' (an other friend's old timber d/g front door.)

Norman's old seventies fireplace is also our rockery!

MW
If it isn't a Greyhound, it's just a dog!

Carltonian Man

It's a good way of recycling. I've come back this morning with a bundle of wood from a fly-tipped bed frame. It looks pretty decent timber but I'll have to let it dry out before deciding what it can be used for.

homegrown
Living the good life
Living the good life
Location: North Canterbury, NZ, somewhere between reality and heaven

That was a good find, i had some luck today was diving a couple weeks back for unwanted wood and got to talking with a local sales rep, he passed the word and this morning got a call from the neighbouring town about 40mins away saying they had 50 wodden freight pallets I could have.

Thats enough to build a shade house a shedd for the ride on lawn mower and finish the kids fort, he said they would likely have more in the future so I can even plan for a sty for some Kune Kune Pigs

Lucky me, just think of all the work that envolves :lol:
Our remote ancestors said to their mother Earth, "We are yours."
Modern humanity has said to Nature, "You are mine."
The Green Man has returned as the living face of the whole earth so that through his mouth we may say to the universe, "We are one."

Author Unknown

prison break fan

Homegrown, it will keep you out of mischief!! pbf.

mrsflibble
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

Well, after much discussion, jim has said don't put them in the bedroom 'cos aparently we're getting a "proper" chest of drawers (the one i bin dived is only about 18" tall, and about 2'6" wide with very shallow drawers) so the one I bin dived is now under my desk and is in the process of getting filled with sewing stuff.
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!

anarchistinslippers
Tom Good
Tom Good

I nicked something that was similar-ish-and-yet-not to this from work (after approval from the manager) that we used to keep our recycling in. Basically because I refuse to pay silly prices for recycling bins that are basically just normal plastic tubs, painted green with RECYCLE slapped on the side and 10 times the price.

It worked great til the damned thing broke, but hey.
"All I want is peace, to grow potatoes and to dream" Moomin (Tove Jansson)

mamos
Living the good life
Living the good life

When we moved into our cabin it didn't have a bathroom sink which didn't really bother us as we haven't had a bathroom let alone one with a sink in it for over eight years.

Anyway, Jules decided she wanted a sink so I went out to B&Q to see how much this was going to cost me. Crickey even the taps cost a small fortune so I thought a trip to the pub might be in order to mull over this problem with a pint of spesh.
On the way back from the pub I spied a china basin (the type that fits into a worktop) complete with mixer taps and a bunch of discarded plumbing in a skip so I dived right in.

We now have a lovely salmon pink bathroom sink built into a bespoke cabinet fed by the spring with the outlet going out into a planter for less than a lunch time spesh sesh

Sorted

There is something very satisfying about making something out of other peoples rubbish

mamos
If you are interested in Self Reliance, Frugal Living, Gardening and becoming Debt Free, follow my Blog Tiny Allotment

homegrown
Living the good life
Living the good life
Location: North Canterbury, NZ, somewhere between reality and heaven

Well done mamos

I picked a lovely salmon pink corner bath the other day from a bonfire pile, had it in mind for a herb garden then the OH thought it would make a good fish pond, but now it might become a small pool for the little ones for summer.

what annoys me the most is peoplechuck out such things without a thought.

There is a great comedy called Other people's money starring Danny deVito, maybe they should make a sequal called Other peoples rubbish, it could be about some rich family forced to become self-sufficient due to the world wide recession :lol:
Our remote ancestors said to their mother Earth, "We are yours."
Modern humanity has said to Nature, "You are mine."
The Green Man has returned as the living face of the whole earth so that through his mouth we may say to the universe, "We are one."

Author Unknown

Sally Jane
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Great finds, folks! Not much to be aquired up here as people tend to reuse and recycle rather than throw out!
By the way, I've seen the occasional post bemoaning the attitude of some Freecyclers, and maybe we are luckier than most where we live, but I just had to write a line to big up a lad called Carl, who not only replied to my hubby's plea for a bit of 10mm copper tube so he can plumb a radiator into our bathroom (to save breaking the ice in the bath when winter comes!) but even came out of way to deliver it to our door as he was on his way to a Fireworks party! What a star!
We all have two gifts we should try to use as much as possible - imagination and humour.
Imagination compensates us for what we are not.
A sense of humour consoles us for what we are.
And wisdom tells us not to worry about it!

anarchistinslippers
Tom Good
Tom Good

I love the Wombles' philosophy... You know, making good use of the things that we find.. things that the everyday folks leave behind..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZ2mJPSccvo

Altogether now!

I can remember an episode of Henry's Cat which had quite a profound effect on me as a child. He needed to raise money to buy a computer, so Sammy Snail suggested asking the computer how this could be done. He suggested taking peoples' junk and selling it to people who wanted it. "But why do people want rubbish?" asked Denise Duck. "That's a philosophical question and computers only know that they do" comes the reply.

Kids TV was so much deeper in the olden days, I tells ya.
"All I want is peace, to grow potatoes and to dream" Moomin (Tove Jansson)