musical instruments - any trombone players on here?

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
Mr and Mrs luvpie
Living the good life
Living the good life

musical instruments - any trombone players on here?

Anyone on here play a trombone by any chance :icon_smile: our eldest has just got one through a council music programme, and has once weekly tutoring at school with it, this week he was finally able to bring it home, now neither of us are musical (love music but couldn't tell you what any of those squiggles on those lines mean) so we can't help him in any way, so was just wondering if there were any brass players that could guide us on where would be a good place to start.

He has been told of one book he needs to get, but I would like to get him a couple to keep his interest up as it has really caught his attention, and don't want the interest to wain, I'd also quiet like it if he learnt a few more notes as monday night we had an hour of trombone practice, all three notes, over and over and over and..... :pale: :pale: :pale:

So we either need to find something for him to read/practice to or buy ear plugs :lol:

Sarah
the ever growing luvpie household currently contains, 4 boys, 4 chickens, 2 cats, 2 rabbits, 4 fish, an empty tropical fish tank waiting new arrivals, now are we daft to look at our broody hen thinking, if we got some fertilised eggs........

mamos
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: musical instruments - any trombone players on here?

If you want him to learn to read music fast then check out this site.

http://www.musictheory.net/index.html

mamos
If you are interested in Self Reliance, Frugal Living, Gardening and becoming Debt Free, follow my Blog Tiny Allotment

Carltonian Man
A selfsufficientish Regular

Perhaps consider getting a mute for the trombone. They're specially made to reduce the decibel level whilst maintaining the pitch. Worked for my son's tuba.

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Aaaaaah!!! Don't try to encourage him to wander away from his repetitive practice - not yet, at least. It's crucially important with all instruments that this is done to develop the fine muscular control and physical memory - eventually, his arm will "remember" where it should be. So the mute is the way to go, complete with parental fortitude and paracetamol.

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

mamos
Living the good life
Living the good life

These are a little expensive but with Christmas coming up......

They are really cool. You plug in headphones and you can any time of the day oy night. It also has aux in so you can play along with tunes.

http://www.woodwindandbrass.co.uk/acata ... brass.html

I wish they had something like this for the saxophone

mamos
If you are interested in Self Reliance, Frugal Living, Gardening and becoming Debt Free, follow my Blog Tiny Allotment

Mr and Mrs luvpie
Living the good life
Living the good life

mamos wrote:These are a little expensive but with Christmas coming up......

They are really cool. You plug in headphones and you can any time of the day oy night. It also has aux in so you can play along with tunes.

http://www.woodwindandbrass.co.uk/acata ... brass.html

I wish they had something like this for the saxophone

mamos

God I like the look of those, just reluctant to buy something that costly unless I know he is definately going to keep playing it, we are at very early stages still, also love that music site, I wish I'd learnt to read music, so I think we will definately be using that, the middle boy is learning to play a keyboard (I really couldn't atand the thought of violin!) so I want them both to be able to read music properly, might even learn with them!

So, Mike I guess the ability to read the written music comes before the parents sanity I will sotck up on paracetamol and just keep :banghead: for the hour of practice on Thursday night! At least it means I will look forward to my break in hospital at christmas, crying babies or trombone learners I know which I'm going to prefer!

Sarahx
the ever growing luvpie household currently contains, 4 boys, 4 chickens, 2 cats, 2 rabbits, 4 fish, an empty tropical fish tank waiting new arrivals, now are we daft to look at our broody hen thinking, if we got some fertilised eggs........

mamos
Living the good life
Living the good life

The music theory site is really useful and easy to use. What I like about it is it is full customisable so you can learn three notes, then four note then five etc

Takes you up to quite a high grade as well

mamos

mrsflibble
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!

wulf

The silent brass series of mutes are excellent but rather pricey. A much cheaper solution would be a scrunched up bit of newspaper gently stuffed in the bell of the trombone!

I'm not entirely sure how well that would work but, if it was arranged so that it let some air out, it should reduced the volume. Unlike the Yamaha series, most mutes are physical devices that wedge in the bell and reduce or alter the sound. The Yamaha ones are pricey because they do bring the volume down to almost silent and also let the player listen with headphones, perhaps mixing in a practise CD or songs they are jamming on.

Another option might be if he does part of his practise just using the mouthpiece and catching / muting the sound in his hands. Getting a series of different notes just using the lips (and building their strength) is key for any brass player.

Wulf
:read2: Read my blog and check out my music

grannymags
Tom Good
Tom Good

Hmmmm.. Scrunched up newspaper could deaden the sound and interfere with the development of sound production.

The only alternative is the silent brass mute, but I know this is expensive when you don't know whether he will continue to play, or might get on better on a different instrument. It is very difficult but you may have to just put up with the practice until the sounds improve. You will be surprised how quickly this happens with regular practice.

I wish the did silent mutes for very large tubas. I could practice whilst hubby watches (or more realistically, falls asleep in front of) the TV.

What books has your son been recommended? It would probably be best to stick to one book to begin and then purchase new books as he progresses. How about the library? If a book is unsuitable then you can return it and choose another. Much cheaper that way and if he like a book particularly you could then buy one knowing it is money well spent. I started on 'Tune a Day' but very soon finished it and wanted more!

Is he learning in bass clef or treble clef? The theory website mentioned earlier is excellent but don't let him allow himself to be overwhelmed.

He is very lucky that you are supporting him in this. Wonderful!

Maggie x

Mr and Mrs luvpie
Living the good life
Living the good life

Maggie, I had no idea that there were different types of trombone, so have no idea what it is, it's just big (comes up to his arm pits when in its case, as he really is rather short for his age!) and loud. He has been advised to get the trombone version of team brass, which I was going to get him for christmas, but I think I'm waiting as although he is very keen, he is only allowed to do music lessons with his school if his behaviour is appropriate, and this is the third week out of his 6 week trial that he is on report for :roll: so he knows that there is the risk of him being stopped from learning it (is it really so hard for a kid to keep quiet through a lesson ? feel like we are :banghead: at the moment over this one!), we just don't have a spare minute in the day to fit music lessons in outside of school!

Sarahx

caithnesscrofter
Living the good life
Living the good life

yep, played trombone for years. Hm. Trick is learning where all the positions are then learning to use the lips to get the proper notes out. Warm it up b4 starting each playing session by blowing air through it. Mouthpiece should feel warm b4 you start playing. He could practice by trying to get the three easy notes out of position 1 and so on through each position. In the beginning just worry about positions 1 - 6. Position 7 is the position just past where you think you can't reach any further! Lol Your music books will tell you the notes he's hitting at each position. When he can move around these easily he's partly there. Keep it oiled and use the spit valve... Lots!