New to Veg

Anything to do with growing herbs and vegetables goes here.
zulu

New to Veg

Hi Folks
Firstly what a great and interesting site. Not new to gardening but have never tried veg apart from the odd tommy plants and tats. Got a front garden - full of flowers but absolutely no spare ground at the back for veg. Not going on holiday this year so will be at home to look after them. Thinking of pots. Would I be able to grow veg such as peas, beans, carrots and maybe even baby cobs, in large pots of which I have a plentiful supply?
I'm really excited this year to try these so I would be very grateful for any tips whatsoever from you good prople. Thanks.

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

G'Day Zulu, and welcome to the site!

Yep, you can grow all sorts of things in containers. Carrots need a deep container (for obvious reasons). When you grow legumes (peas, beans etc.) you need to be sure that the soil in the pots has the Rhyzobium bacteria which the legumes need to help them fix the nitrogen in the air. The bes way to do this is to "seed" the soil with some soil from a garden that has grown legumes before - perhaps pinched form someone's allotment :mrgreen: . corn is a gross feeder so the potting soil would need mulch and plenty of feeding during the growing season!

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

zulu

Many thanks for a swift reply. Dearie me but you do make it sound awfully simple. Well, preparing to get my mits dirty. Thanks again.

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Onya Zulu! Good luck!

Nev

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

alcina
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

If the front garden is a cottage style garden rather than a formal garden, you could incorporate veggies into the planting there, peas growing up the delphiums, carrots dotted here and there, the odd lettuce in an empty few inches of soil...all very traditional in a cottage garden to grow veggies as well as flowers. Probably not the best thing to do though if you're on a busy road.

Good luck!

Alcina

Millymollymandy
A selfsufficientish Regular

French beans grow very well in pots and as the pods don't drag on the soil they don't get dirty! Also I don't know about the bacteria that Nev is talking about but they have grown perfectly well for me in ordinary potting compost.

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Years ago I tried growing some in a planter filled with potting compost and they were pretty ratty and stunted until I seeded the compost. Maybe your stuff had the bacteria in already MMM :mrgreen:

Nev

Millymollymandy

Very probably Nev - here in France they tend to be peat based (they are only just cottoning onto the fact that using peat isn't a great idea.....) - do you think this is why?

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Maybe........being a natural product and all!

Nev

Muddypause
Location: Urban Berkshire, UK (one day I'll find the escape route)

Have to say I've never had any trouble with beans, whether planted straight in the ground, or started in pots of compost.

Maybe the bacteria is more endemic in some parts of the world.
Stew

Ignorance is essential