Basil tips

Anything to do with growing herbs and vegetables goes here.
Tigerhair
A selfsufficientish Regular

Basil tips

Right, I tried to grow basil before but without any luck! I have a packet of Mr Titchmarsh's organic seeds... any tips please!?

PS I have NO room in my green house, it's SO full of beautiful tiny green plants... and quite a few trays filled with just compost!!
Tigz x

ina

I always grow mine on the windowsill. We had a "basil trial" (that was before your time!) - check the old thread... Result: It didn't make a lot of difference whether you covered the seeds with compost or not. They need it warm and sunny. I would just stick a few seeds in a pot, water and let it get on with itself...

You can prick them out and just put one plant in each pot, they get bushier that way. Depends on variety, too.
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Tigerhair

Ta - is it true that if you put the mature plants in the greenhouse with your tomatoes, it protects against something (and they are handy together for making pasta sauce too!)?
Tigz x

ina

Yes to the pasta sauce - no idea to the other! :wink:
Ina

alcina
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Keep 'em hot and sunny. If you have no room in the greenhouse, then do you have a sunny corner on a patio or something? Of all else fails, a south facing windowsill. They do not like the cold.

They're supposed to keep aphids (I think) off the tomatoes. Or is that marigolds that do that? :?

Alcina

ina

Marigolds seem to be good for all sorts of things - but they don't taste as nice in pasta sauce! :lol:
Ina

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yep Basil is a good compainon plant to tomatoes and not just because of the taste it is a good insect repelant.
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

Tigerhair

Thanks - I thought so, I'll put some in the greenhouse with my toms this year then...
Tigz x

Millymollymandy

The best basil for culinary use for me was that in the shade on my kitchen windowsill. The basil outside gets very large and tough in the sun and flowers like crazy and I spend too much time pinching out the buds. I suppose I should just rip it up and sow more. I just wish my holy basil had grown as well as the regular basil did!

alcina
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Yours doesn't die outside over winter M3? :shock: It must be much warmer over there than here! Or have I misread and this is yearly sowings?

I guess that Brittany is that bit further south than Blighty and therefore "keeping it hot" for you implies a rather different temperature :lol:

Alcina

Millymollymandy

Yearly sowings Alcina! London has MUCH warmer winter temperatures than Brittany, believe me! And it's not that much warmer here in summer, a few degrees probably on average.

Batfink
Tom Good
Tom Good

We've managed to keep ours alive over winter this year - despite snow & heavy frosts... seems pretty resilient. It's planted in a south facing bed - a pretty exposed one at that. Quite bizzare!
Just because it feels good, it doesn't make it right.

alcina
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Bloody hell! That must be some basil! Is it the bog standard basil genovese (or something like that) or a special more hardy variety?

Alcina

Mr. Trench
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

My basil is always great in the greenhouse - but dies if I try to plant it outside - even in a sunny patch. This year's crops are just germinating now.

For eating, actually this is my summer staple - I have it with sliced toms, a pinch of salt and olive oil at least twice per week. It also goes well in a mixed leaf salad (even corriander can go in there too), and on all pasta and italian style dishes. Just sprinkle a few leaves on top - raw - with the parmasan. Mmmm...
Imagine calling a clumsy great thing that size Mr. Trench.