St Johns Wort

Anything to do with growing herbs and vegetables goes here.
Tinks
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

St Johns Wort

Hello! I bought some St John's Wort yesterday in a small pot, but didnt read the label properly and have found out it says "harmful if eaten, skin allergen in sunlight". Does anybody know how bad this is? I normally grow my herbs at home on my balcony/patio area and my other stuff at the allotment, should I grow it there instead so I can keep the children away from it easier? and how do I use it if its harmful to eat, is it really poisonous? I was going to infuse it in tea or something :? I have looked it up on the internet but cant find much clear information other than the fact that the flowers smell horrible which sounds really great! :( Has anyone else grown it?
Incidentally could anybody please recommend a book on how to do all the things with your herbs - tinctures, infusions etc (preferably one that is simple with lots of pictures for people with limited time/brain space).
Also bought some gorgeous Ginger Mint which I had never heard of before but is lovely!
hope you're all enjoying your growing, tinks x

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Prolonged useage can cause an irratation to sunlight, I know someone that uses if for SAD and swears by it. They stop in the spring when the sun comes out and well there is less of a need to use it.

Suposed to be good for depressive illnesses and general fatigue.

To make a tincture - from a book that I bought for £1 today.

1. put the herb in a large jar and pour on alcohol water mix. Should be about 25% alcohol and you can use vodka. Seal the jar and store for 2 weeks. Shaking occasionally.

2. Pour miture through a jelly bag into a clean jug. I asume that muslin will do the same thing or coffe filters.

3. Squeeze out the tincture from the bag. Ideally use a wine press and press the mixture into a clean jug. - I guess this is to get concentrated liquid aswell?

4. Pour the strained liquid into clean, dark bottles. Seal and store. Keep in a cool place and label.

20 drops 3 times a day of st johns tincture to treat fatigue.

You couldtry this book
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

Tinks

Thanks very much Andy
I get anxious which is why I wanted to grow some, not sure if it will work for that though. Book looks good, will see if my local library has it.
So it would be safe to grow on my patio?
tinks :flower:

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

I would.

You could also look in charity shops for other books, I tend to pick up quite a few readers digest type books from there and they have some useful info in them. The one I got today - Natural Home remedies by Mark Evans - was ok for a brief intro and it was only £1.
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

Rohen
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

St Johns Wort is a mild monoamine oxidase inhibitor or MAOI for shot

It reacts with serotonin reuptake inhibitors and other antidepressants

Dont take it if you are taking the others.

Avoid cheese marmite broad bean pods and chianti, pate and food that is starting to go off when taking it as well as proprietary brands of pseudoephedrine as it can react nastily with them depending on how much you are taking.

Its not that im trying to scare anyone but you should know the make up of this plant
Rohen the Dobermann owner

Millymollymandy
A selfsufficientish Regular

Didn't know it was edible! I've just spend several hours looking around my neighbour's horses' paddocks looking for poisonous weeds because two of their horses came down with a sudden bad reaction to 'something'. St Johns Wort is on the list of plants that are very poisonous to horses!

ina

All depends on the quantity... And I suppose since horses have a different digestive system, it might work differently for them.
We used an oily extract of St. John's Wort for wasp stings when I was in France. Worked very well.
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

albert onglebod
Living the good life
Living the good life

We have it growing in our garden.Its quite invasive if you let it spread.
My kids never showed any interest in it and if the flowers do smell bad it must be very mild as I never noticed.
I believe you must avoid taking it in any form if you are pregnant.

Dave
Site Admin
Site Admin

I had a horrible reaction to St John's Wort one summer. I was drinking about two cups of St John's Wort tea a day for around a week during a particularly hot spell.
After a while I began to itch really badly, it started just on my arms and then spread to my whole body. I couldn't sleep at all for the itching and had to take the day off work.
It seemed to die down after a couple of days and left me with just pealing hands and feet. I went to the Doctor about it and they agreed it was probably the St John's Wort although she did seem a bit baffled.
Since then I've taken Valerian, camomile and/or hops for anxiety or just tried a bit of circular breathing or meditation but still take St John's Wort in the winter to ward off the evil SAD.

Tinks

Thanks for everyones responses, feel a bit dubious about the plant now!
Will grow it and see what its like but wont use it in the summer, its only a very small plant anyway and I'll keep it at home in a pot rather than down the allotment.
I think horses have a different tolerance to things as ragwort is really poisonous for them whereas rabbits love it apparently.

I used to take valerian but never liked the smell, but am growing some chamomile so will take that in the summer instead and St Johns wort in the winter.
thanks again
:flower: