How do i make vinegar?

The whole reason for the selfsufficientish website was to offer a place where anyone can ask, HOW DO I...? So who knows why it has taken us so long to have a HOW DO I? section, but here it is. So if you want to know how to do anything selfsufficientish then here is the place to ask.
craig.r
Tom Good
Tom Good

How do i make vinegar?

I have beer, cider, white and red wine all waiting to give vinegar a go.only problem is, i don't know how :scratch: ...can anyone help please.
Its Good to be green but even better to be self sufficient.

JillStephens7
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: How do i make vinegar?

Hello :wave:

I've never made vinegar but have vague memories of my friedns' dad doing it ... I think he had some sort of large vat in their cellar which was filled with wine and a mysterious spongey looking item called 'the mother' which looked like a cross between a pile of sediment and a liver!

I can't tell you much more but a quick google found this http://howtomakevinegar.com/

which looks helpful!

Good luck, I'd be interested to hear how you get on :sunny:

crowsashes
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: How do i make vinegar?

have no idea how to make vinegar but i brought lovely cider from a farm in cornwall a year a go but didnt drink it all quick enough. it turned into a really really lovely cider vinegar. :lol: i really should get some more as ive yet to find one as nice to use in a salad dressing!