what are you harvesting?

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
bean gardenin'
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Re: what are you harvesting?

Turnips! Over the moon, I've never grown a turnip before!

kompost krazy

I've got loadsa kale (Sutherland), and my french beans (Cherokee trail of tears, Soldier, and Borlotto lingua di fuoco) are coming on-stream. I've got two small green plums (oo-er missus) on my tomato plants.

Shirl
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

My kale is doing well also. This year I have planted for the first time borlotti and just starting to produce. Now, I really do have some small plums for the first time this year!!
oh! yet
Stands the Church clock at ten to three?
And is there honey still for tea?

benner
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Broad beans, baby beetrooot, radishes, runner beans, a few pak choi, silverskin onions and a little lettuce. Quite pleased with my first years' effort. :iconbiggrin: Just waiting for tomatoes to ripen now!
Sitting on the fence isn't without it's risks

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Harvested my shallots yesterday, not a bad return for planting 15 last autumn.
These are destined to be used after Christmas as I can't keep onions for more than a few months but shallots will keep until about April. Don't know why .. :dontknow:

Shallots.jpg
Shallots.jpg (118.89 KiB) Viewed 4497 times
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

lilyrose
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

I harvested the last of my garlic (10 bulbs). Tomorrow, I will probably harvest some broccoli for dinner.

grahamhobbs
A selfsufficientish Regular

Odsox, why the trouble in storing onions? Mine just about keep until the following July (red ones a month earlier) and shallots even longer. I keep them in a well ventilated greenhouse.

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Because of my weird climate Graham. :iconbiggrin:
Onions in the garden just don't stop growing, hence they don't ripen up. It doesn't matter how many times I bend the tops over, they just straighten themselves up again, and if I half pull them up .. the re-root themselves again.
If I left them, they would still have green healthy tops in December.

This year I grew a few in the polytunnel and they seem to have ripened nicely. Only trouble is I keep using them for cooking instead of leaving them to see how long they store.

Shallots on the other hand die off of their own accord about now regardless, and so ripen up. So now I use the onions first and leave the shallots for later in the new year.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

circlecross

was greeted by the delightful sight of three rows of rampant broad beans, like so many smooth naked circumcised winkies nodding up at me tonight. Marvellous. And more peas than even I can eat in one sitting! Blackcurrants, red goosegogs, beetroots, oriental lettuces....num num num
"yum, yum, piggy's bum!"

http://www.myspace.com/circlecross_73

citizentwiglet

Chantenay carrots!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I took my dog to play frisbee. She was useless. I think I need a flatter dog.

http://reflectionsinraindrops.wordpress.com - My blog
http://www.bothwellscarecrowfestival.co.uk - Scarecrow Festival
http://bothwellcommunitygarden.wordpress.com - Community Garden

Keaniebean

Garlic is now all dried, cucumbers from the hanging baskets :cheers: :cheers: . And we just ate our firts yellow corgette finally! :flower:
Sarah.x

Come on over and see the fun at Troll Manor http://trollfamily.blogspot.com/ Now blogging once more :) after a little shove from the one and only MMM.

kompost krazy

kompost krazy wrote:...my french beans (Cherokee trail of tears, Soldier, and Borlotto lingua di fuoco) are coming on-stream.
I don't think I'll grow 'Soldier' beans again. They grow quite large, compared with the 'Cherokee' beans, but they're not as nice, being a bit stringy and tough. The Cherokees, by contrast, are tender and delicious, and though individually smallish, the plants are very productive: I grew them last year, and had more of them than I knew what to do with at the height of their harvesting period, and they just kept on coming until the frosts. If anyone wants to try them, go to www.realseeds.co.uk. I think they are also sometimes available from the Heritage Seed Library.

My courgettes (Tondo di Picenza, a spherical variety, also from Real Seeds) are just starting to be available.

grahamhobbs

courgettes, cucumbers, courgettes, cucumbers, artichoke, courgettes, cucumbers, beans, courgettes, cucumbers, salad, courgettes, cucumbers, calabrese, carrots, courgettes cucumbers, tomatoes........ you get the idea.

But melons coming, now the size of tennis balls.

phil55494
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Green curly kale, Nero di Toscano kale, Spuds, Strawberries, Raspberries, salads, Rainbow chard. We had the first floret from the summer purple sprouting broccoli yesterday.

Now will the courgettes get on with doing their thing and make us some fruits, they've not flowered yet (though the plants are from a late sowing because the first plants got slugged).

Millymollymandy

grahamhobbs wrote:courgettes, cucumbers, courgettes, cucumbers, artichoke, courgettes, cucumbers, beans, courgettes, cucumbers, salad, courgettes, cucumbers, calabrese, carrots, courgettes cucumbers, tomatoes........ you get the idea.

But melons coming, now the size of tennis balls.
Ha ha yes I have a fridge full of courgettes and cucumbers! :lol:

My first melon fruit are only golf ball size so you are ahead of me but they did take absolutely ages to get going. :iconbiggrin:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/