What is this chicken breed please?

Do you keep livestock? Having any problems? Want to talk about it, whether it be sheep, goats, chickens, pigs, bees or llamas, here is your place to discuss.
Big Al
A selfsufficientish Regular

What is this chicken breed please?

Can anyone tell me what this chicken is and about how old it looks. Admittedly I've done no searching myself as I need to build a coup before nightfall...... my thoughts were a bantam but it's to big apparently and then a black rock but what do I know

http://flic.kr/p/8Bd63o

http://flic.kr/p/8Bd62q

Ta muchy
Member of the Ishloss weight group 2013. starting weight 296.00 pounds on 01.01.2013. Now minus 0.20 pounds total THIS WEEK - 0.20 pounds Now over 320 pounds and couldn't give a fig...
Secret Asparagus binger

Masco&Bongo
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 53.930141
longitude: -2.969870

Re: What is this chicken breed please?

Speckeldy maybe?
"Its not who you are underneath, it's what you do that defines you" - Bruce Wayne

Blog: http://mistressofmeals.blogspot.com/

Big Al

Thanks folks, I was chasing it round the garden when I was taking the photo :lol: it's now in the coup all on it's own so I'll have to tell the wife that hens need companions... at least 5 I reckon... :mrgreen:
Member of the Ishloss weight group 2013. starting weight 296.00 pounds on 01.01.2013. Now minus 0.20 pounds total THIS WEEK - 0.20 pounds Now over 320 pounds and couldn't give a fig...
Secret Asparagus binger

Keaniebean

Big Al I've had a look in my chicken encyclopaedia ( yes,I am that sad :iconbiggrin: ) and it looks like it could be a Maran bantam hen, brassy black to me. it looks very young too, maybe around 16 -20 weeks, but i wouldn't bet my life on it.

Edited to say I just had alook on the internet for an image for you but they don't look like the image in my book so I'm extra unsure now.
Sarah.x

Come on over and see the fun at Troll Manor http://trollfamily.blogspot.com/ Now blogging once more :) after a little shove from the one and only MMM.

Big Al

Thanks KB. I'll take another photo tomorrow as her colours are becoming more distinct. Next question is can you mix bantams ( if she is a bantam) with full size hens? one other point of note is she cheaps rather than clucks..... honest she does.
Secret Asparagus binger

Keaniebean

You can mix bantams with hens ( I presume you mean in the coop, as opposed to breeding :? ), but you need to be very careful about introductions and mixing ages.

Have you had a look at this forum, you might get some good chook advice there.

http://club.omlet.co.uk/forum/

I think it's a bit like the bread question, ask 10 different people how to bake a loaf and you will get 10 different answers. I feel as long as you have the ability to keep them separate if there is any nastiness then you are nothing lost in trying.

Hope this helps.xx
Sarah.x

Come on over and see the fun at Troll Manor http://trollfamily.blogspot.com/ Now blogging once more :) after a little shove from the one and only MMM.

Big Al

Thanks Sarah.

Any nastiness and the oven is waiting......
Secret Asparagus binger

bean gardenin'
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

I used to have a pair of bantums that looked like yours - they were Partridge Pekins.

red

looks like a cross to me....
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

madabouthens

Hi Al, if the hen cheeps then it is probably not mature, as for the breed, could be a heinzzzzz 57 ! Tony :dontknow:

Big Al

Hi folks,
Thanks for the input into my chicken breed.

I took a photo up to our local chicken seller / breeder and he said it is probably a heinz 57 in so much as it has a lot of black rock in it but what else is open to debate. It looks very much like the durham blacks he has for sale so I reckon it's a toyha special.

As for the age he reckons it will be less than 8 weeks of age.

Sat there all alone was a goldline so I took that at a discount and he cliped a wing for me so now we have two........ All I haI have to do is tell the wife when she comes in from footie, lol...

Considering this bird is about 8 weeks older the original is a fiesty littler bugger who is putting in her mark for pecking order.
Secret Asparagus binger