Runner beans

Anything to do with growing herbs and vegetables goes here.
Clarabel
Tom Good
Tom Good

Runner beans

Hello,

Not sure how obvious this is but what veggies grow well in the same plot as runner beans?

I was thinking maybe lettuces and sweetcorn as I think I read somewhere they go in the same group but can't quite remember.

Thanks! Usually I would read through everything online but without a home computer its costly to read loads of articles in the internet cafe!

Clarabel

Cheezy
A selfsufficientish Regular

If you want to keep it to the same group then any legume, ie

peas and beans

Broadbeans (if you sow them early enough) will come up first, then prolly peas, then beans like runner, I like to plant Borrlotti's behind my broads
as they don't ripen until the Autumn, and the broads will be out of the way.

Lettices/raddishes can be sown in and amongst most crops, just make sure you plant it at the fronty of the bed and nice an early so to get them out of the way. Once you've cropped the broads you can then go back and re sow with quick growers again like lettice/rad or if its June fennel. Though techincally a root crop...i think

I don't grow sweet corn, but i believe its one of them crops that you can use amongst other...anyone else?
It's not easy being Cheezy
So you know how great Salsify is as a veg, what about Cavero Nero,great leaves all through the winter , then in Spring sprouting broccolli like flowers! Takes up half as much room as broccolli

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

G'DAy Clarabel!

Sweetcorn is a heavy feeder and will make use of the nitrogen fixed from the air by the beans, if you plant the corn first and give it a head start you can grow the beans up the corn stems. The third member of this guild (to use a permaculture term) is squash, which provides shade for the ground. These three were grown together by the Amerindians. You could use lettuce instead, they will also benefit from the nitrogen and are shallow rooted.

Worth a go anyway.

Nev

PS If you plant a dense stand of corn and beans, finding the beans in amongst all that greenery is like playing where's Wally!
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

ina

Sweetcorn outside in Scotland? It would have to get whole lot warmer for that to work this year... We grew them in a polytunnel where I worked in the Glasgow area.
Mind you, that goes for almost anything. Pumpkins/squashes/courgettes (heavy feeders like sweetcorn) are good amongst the peas and beans, too. But they should have it a bit warmer as well - I'm about to pot mine up and keep them indoors for a few more weeks.
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)