Morus Nigra/Black Mulberry - Anyone grown them?

Want to talk about fruit and nuts? Got any problems? Here's your place to post.
CasperCastle
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Morus Nigra/Black Mulberry - Anyone grown them?

If it must be known, I am sufficiently obsessed with Morus trees, especially the Nigra. The fruit, the edible leaves, the fact that they sometimes force themselves over and root from their branches (which I always saw as a their renditioin of a person fainting to get the blood back to their head).

Over the last few years I've made ludicrous amounts of mulberry wine, jam, syrup, ice cream, fruit leather... the list goes on, all from the wild trees in and around Northampton. So I figured I should probably start growing them myself.

I took a few cuttings when the trees had finished fruiting, late summer/early autumn 2010, which like the fig cuttings from the same time rooted really easily (using only Willow/Salix water) and I also saved some seeds to give that a shot too.

I was wondering if anyone has ever tried growing their own Mulberries, from seed or otherwise?
I know that traditionally people usually just take a scion and stick it in the ground, but that sounds a little too hopeful, heh.

Ellendra
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Morus Nigra/Black Mulberry - Anyone grown them?

I have a couple that I ordered through a catalog, but they aren't fruiting yet. I didn't realize they would root at the branches, you just gave me a way to multiply my orchard!

Mulberries hold special memories for me. They were the first wild edible I learned, when I was 5-6 there was a mulberry tree in the woods near my house. I used to pick a saucepan full, then sit at the table with a potato masher and make "jam", then eat the resulting mush with a spoon.