Our grape arbor

Want to talk about fruit and nuts? Got any problems? Here's your place to post.
chuck_n_grace
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Our grape arbor

Hi,
I took spring off Monday in order to do 'something' outdoorsey. We noticed that 9 of the grape plants we planted last year against a fence separating us from our neighbor was producing some nice leaves. We were concerned about controlling the crop...but our neighbors are prone to add some non-organic pesticides and fertilizer.

So the question came up...where to transplant the plants. After some discussion we came up with an idea to put it in the front yard. We call it a grape arbor...not sure if that is a correct name. Our concern was that the structure might not look 'nice' being in the front. We've been trying to keep the edible landscaping out front looking good...and the barnyard look in the back.

In our front yard, which receives total sunshine, we wanted to add a nice garden to sit and hang out. So, we constructed two sections. Each section consists of three 4" wooden poles about 6' above the ground. They are spaced 8' apart. I have 2"x4"x8' boards running along the top. 2' down and 4' down, we have 2"x2"x8' boards running horizontally.

These two sections make up two adjacent sides that are 90 degrees apart. They would almost form a perfect corner except we placed 4' between them to add an arch.

It took us several hours...digging holes, building, and remove sod...but we finished.

A few questions came up.

1) Are grape plants 'transplant' hardy? Too late now.
2) What sort of fertilizer do you feed these plants?

I'll post pics when I get a chance.

Regards,
Chuck

sarahkeast
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: Our grape arbor

Sounds brilliant.

What varieties are you growing ? I am waiting to buy a grape to put in an upside down dalek under my carport/porch. Want to eat rather than ferment.
Sarah :flower:

chuck_n_grace
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Re: Our grape arbor

Hi,
We're growing Concord grapes.

Grace has been redoing the soil. It has a lot of clay...so she has been replacing a lot of it with a better quality soil.

Regarding neighbors, they are optimistic it will look much nicer. =)

Regards,
Chuck