Make your own polytunnel cheap!

Post your articles or photos here for possible inclusion on the main site. Please read the guidelines before posting.
stargazer
margo - newbie
margo - newbie
latitude: 55.85
longitude: -3.55

Re: Make your own polytunnel cheap!

Sat May 07, 2011 10:53 am

Great! Put a photo up once your done
Polytunnels rule!

hedgewizard
A selfsufficientish Regular

Sat May 07, 2011 11:19 am

Well done, looks great. the lack of strength is coming from the fact that there's no ridgepole - another broomhandle running lengthways along the apex will soon sort that out. And if you want to be really anal, a diagonal brace to each end hoop will make it bomb proof.
http://www.farminmypocket.co.uk - polytunnel offers, reviews, and more self-sufficiency information than you can shake a chicken at

stargazer
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Sat May 07, 2011 11:34 am

I was hoping not to get bombed, but you never know. I like you site x

hedgewizard

Sat May 07, 2011 8:27 pm

Ta. But you never know about the bomb thing.
http://www.farminmypocket.co.uk - polytunnel offers, reviews, and more self-sufficiency information than you can shake a chicken at

stevcolx
margo - newbie
margo - newbie
latitude: 57.494389
longitude: 2.790125

Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:26 pm

I just joined this forum as it was your Poly Tunnel idea that brought me here. I was thinking of doing the same thing but I wasn't sure about the best way to do it. Great idea. I live near Huntly, Anerdeenshire so I may have to think of strengthening it a bit more. We get some really blustery days up there. I recently had a shed that had an old bed and table and chairs in it blow over into the neighbors property and ended up in bits so I need the tunnel t be strong and well grounded....lol

Since this will be my first time with a project like this I'd like to ask a question. What is usually grown in a Poly Tunnel. In Scotland specifically?!

Cheers

Colin

Lochside Yogi
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:47 am

Our garden is on a steep slope so i am thinking of making my own polytunnel, but because the garden will be terraced it will be half one built against a vertical part of the terrace (if that makes sense). The back will be a heat sink and will hopefully provide some extra strength that a conventional tunnel doesn't have. Thought of using plumbing pipe insulation to protect the plastic over the poles, has anyone else tried this?

stargazer
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:02 pm

I have done well with cucumbers, going to do more this year. The only thing we added to the polytunnel was a ventilation grille at the end opposite the door to stop mould. I tried beans last year, they went mouldy but everything else has been fine. The tunnel is still going strong despite the winds and snow here.

Return to “Author-ish Photographer- ish - Write or take photos for Selfsufficientish”