Feed the birds, tuppence a bag?

Another section by popular demand. If you want to talk about anything else that grows that is not livestock, herbs, fruit or vegetables here it goes.
Lilyfae
Tom Good
Tom Good

Feed the birds, tuppence a bag?

Mum went to a craft fair & bought me a bird feeder & drink from recycled materials but I was thinking what's best to put in it- I know very little about birds but I do know different birds like different things and will be feeding young too so don't want any sick because of poor decision making on my part.

So what do I put in the feedy-caged bit?

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Feed the birds, tuppence a bag?

Just about anything which will fit, Lilyfae - seeds, peanuts, mealworms (but not corn, because just about every bird in the world turns its nose up at that. Well - beak). The only think to be careful of at this time of year is to make sure that whatever is in the feeder is of a size such that the bird has to break it up to get it out. That way, you avoid well-meaning parent birds choking their young by stuffing whole peanuts down their throats.

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

Lilyfae
Tom Good
Tom Good

Re: Feed the birds, tuppence a bag?

Thanks mike that really helps as I will have to be careful because the holes in the wire used are quite spacious so that's a great tip.