Hi from Ormskirk

We love hearing from you, so here is your chance. Introduce yourself and tell us what makes you selfsufficient 'ish'. Go on don't be shy, we welcome one and all. You can also tell us how you heard about us if you like.
Spinpup
margo - newbie
margo - newbie
latitude: 53.5689
longitude: -2.8851

Hi from Ormskirk

Hi. Delighted to find this forum - which I came to from an Amazon review.

I have a decent-sized garden in Lancashire, about a 1/4 occupied by hens. 2 Light Sussex, 2 Warrens and 2 ex-batts. The ex-batts are adorable but quite fond of pecking nice fat toes.

I have some raised beds which I use for growing vegetables (beetroot, onion, sweetcorn, potatoes, etc.) and a load of strawberries (I LOVE strawberries!). Also plant up loads of containers and baskets for extra strawbarries, potatoes and peas (we get through a lot of peas).

I used to be married to a woodturner, so nearly everything in the house is made of wood.

My 2 teenagers & I enjoy doing/making/using:
  • Woodburners - I draw the line at chopping wood myself, that's what I had a son for! We have willow growing ready for using as logs in a year or two. I'm also keen to try willow weaving and am looking for courses/workshops.
    Yoghurt - love goats milk yoghurt
    Spinning - we blend sheep fleece with the brushings from our 2 Rough Collies and are experimenting with some of the fur from a gorgeous little German Spitz that we are currently looking after
    Bread - the woodburners are ideal for proving bread, it rises beautifully. We use molasses as a yeast starter, it gives a delicious flavour and extra minerals
    Knitting/crochet - currently trying the plastic bag yarn thing, with varying success!
    Rag rugging & ordinary rug making
    Basket making - I love willow
Want to resurrect my wine and beer making skills. I last made home brew when I was a broke student. Now I'm a broke adult I feel the need to do it again.

I work mostly from home (writing) and teach IT one day a week in a local school. Many of the kids are from the surrounding farms and I get lots of advice from them. They think I'm a soft townie because I won't eat our hens when they stop laying (I'm a vegetarian who will eat fish at a push).

Looking forward to getting to know people on here, contributing and learning more.

Michelle

Lillia
Tom Good
Tom Good

Re: Hi from Ormskirk

:wave: Nice to meet you :iconbiggrin:

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hi Michelle, welcome to our forum.
It sounds like you have your hands full with all you have going on. :iconbiggrin:
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

bill1953
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 53.95
longitude: 8.95

Hi to you! Nice to meet you too Lillia! x
Just because you see two eyes shining in the jungle at night, do not think that the worse thing that could happen is that you are about to be attacked by a tiger. It could be two one-eyed tigers.

trinder
Living the good life
Living the good life

Welcome and nice to meet you. Loved your comprehensive "who we are" nice that you started with a sense of your fun personality re chopping wood " I have a son for that"
Made me laugh because I really did have a childhood whereby my brother filled the coal scuttle and cleaned all our shoes for school and my sister and I washed dishes and cleaned the house.
You have outlined some very interesting activities that I look forward to finding out more about. :wave:
On the issue of animals for research "The question is not, 'Can they reason?' nor, 'Can they talk?' but rather, 'Can they suffer?'" Jeremy Bentham

Lillia
Tom Good
Tom Good

bill1953 wrote:Hi to you! Nice to meet you too Lillia! x
Thank you, bill1953 :icon_smile:

Spinpup
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

trinder wrote:Welcome and nice to meet you. Loved your comprehensive "who we are" nice that you started with a sense of your fun personality re chopping wood " I have a son for that"
Made me laugh because I really did have a childhood whereby my brother filled the coal scuttle and cleaned all our shoes for school and my sister and I washed dishes and cleaned the house.
You have outlined some very interesting activities that I look forward to finding out more about. :wave:
Thanks Trinder. I hated having to do 'indoor' jobs when I was a teenager and boys got to do the fun outside stuff! I should have added that my daughter then carries the big bags of wood to the garage. She only doesn't fling the axe around because she went through a clumsy phase when she was growing up and is still wary of dangerous implements! She's the best at lighting the fire though.

Spinpup
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

bill1953 wrote:Hi to you! Nice to meet you too Lillia! x
Thanks Bill. Your cottage looks lovely.

Spinpup
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Odsox wrote:Hi Michelle, welcome to our forum.
It sounds like you have your hands full with all you have going on. :iconbiggrin:
Thanks Tony!

Spinpup
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Lillia wrote::wave: Nice to meet you :iconbiggrin:
Thanks Lillia. You too.

Milims
A selfsufficientish Regular

Hi there and welcome :wave:
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

Millymollymandy

Hi and welcome from me too! :wave:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

MuddyWitch
latitude: 52.643985
longitude: -1.052939

Welcome to ISH :flower:

I have photos of my younger daughter wearing her corsette & chopping at a tree stump just prior to going out for the night! :lol: :lol: :lol:

MW
If it isn't a Greyhound, it's just a dog!

romie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Hi from up the road near Preston

I've been off the site for a while but recently bought the dream house with a bit of land, we have a few chickens and turkeys, fruit trees and beds ready for my mutant veg (it's all a big learning curve this year) your projects sound interesting, need any mastiff hair? lol