Les grenouilles

Another section by popular demand. If you want to talk about anything else that grows that is not livestock, herbs, fruit or vegetables here it goes.
MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Les grenouilles

We have frogspawn in the new pond!!!!!!!

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

Milims
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Les grenouilles

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

bill1953
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 53.95
longitude: 8.95

I was a frogoholic all my married life (which is why I am divorced now). Started with one small pond, but very soon I was mixing with others and soon found that the ponds were getting bigger and bigger. Before I knew what was happening I ended up with three ponds and two of them were linked by man made stream ten metres long flowing downhill with the water being returned to the top pond via a submerged 15000 litres an hour pump and buried 25mm pipe. That was when my wife said 'go'. Been pond free for nearly six years but I keep looking at my field and thinking of JCB's and aligators! Seriously, must have reared thousands and thousands of frogs over the years. When I was in the Isle of Man I found newts in one pond. Not a native species to the Island so I thought the relevant government office would have been pleased at the newts....nope! You would have thought I had told them I had Albanians in the attic. More or less got accused of 'bringing in an illegal species' . Glad I put the phone down before giving my name and address. Good luck with your tadpoles :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: I used to feed mine on boiled ham once they started swimming about. The processsed square cheap stuff will do. Put a slice in and before long they cover it so you can hardly see it.
Just because you see two eyes shining in the jungle at night, do not think that the worse thing that could happen is that you are about to be attacked by a tiger. It could be two one-eyed tigers.

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ah, Bill - I sympathise. Being environmentally aware is a costly business. I've been trying to tell the people around here for years that frogs are great for getting rid of slugs - are they grateful? No - are they hell. They just don't like frogs. They don't like slugs even more, but haven't got to the associative phase yet.

I have to admit that sacrificing a wife to your amphibophilia is really going some, though.

Mike

bill1953
Living the good life
Living the good life

Absolutely! Hardly seen a slug but when I did discover a colony of fairly rare lemon slugs - as slugs go the prettiest slug of all I removed them to a safer site in the garden as the frogs were decimating them.
Just because you see two eyes shining in the jungle at night, do not think that the worse thing that could happen is that you are about to be attacked by a tiger. It could be two one-eyed tigers.

julie_lanteri
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

somebody's calling me? :iconbiggrin:

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

If you have large, protuberant eyes, bandy green legs, and croak throughout the night, yes.

:lol:

Mike

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Millymollymandy

julie_lanteri wrote:somebody's calling me? :iconbiggrin:
:lol: I was oddly drawn to this thread, too. :lol:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

Mrs Moustoir
Living the good life
Living the good life

A friend of mine spent last weekend rescuing migrating toads which were crossing a road. She couldn't bear to see them being squished so she was filling a bucket with them and putting them in the ditch on the opposite side of the road.

Her neighbours thought she was bonkers.

bill1953
Living the good life
Living the good life

The 'bonkers' people were the ones who were driving over them :icon_smile:

DebbieP
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

We've got loads of frog spawn in our pond too! Yay! Spotted one of the parents on the pond floor at one point too :) I love seeing the wildlife in the garden, I think we did have a couple of newts in there too but they're so hard to see, too good at hiding!
Fed up of seeing spiders everywhere :( Always the worst this time of year. Spider deterrent desperately needed!

bill1953
Living the good life
Living the good life

DebbieP wrote:We've got loads of frog spawn in our pond too! Yay! Spotted one of the parents on the pond floor at one point too :) I love seeing the wildlife in the garden, I think we did have a couple of newts in there too but they're so hard to see, too good at hiding!
Best way to see newts is not to see them Debbie! G out in the dark on warmish evenings and listen. When they come up to the surface they make a very recognisable 'popping' sound x

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

I once had a pet newt. I called him Tiny, 'cos he was my newt.

Mike

PS ... the spawn is now tiny taddies.

bill1953
Living the good life
Living the good life

MKG wrote:I once had a pet newt. I called him Tiny, 'cos he was my newt.

Mike

PS ... the spawn is now tiny taddies.
:iconbiggrin: took me three reads but I go it!