101 Things I Wish some-one would invent...

101 Uses For is popular and let's hope it stays that way. Our second book is presently called 101 tips for self sufficiency; we will certainly dip into this section for ideas. So post away and let's try and get at least one thread up to 101.
User avatar
Thomzo
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular
Posts: 4277
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:42 pm
Location: Swindon, South West England

Re: 101 Things I Wish some-one would invent...

Post: #263360 Thomzo
Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:00 pm

baldybloke wrote:How about the following:

An effective slug defense system.


Interesting article in this month's edition of The Garden. It went something like this:

"It's illegal, but if you were to try spraying dilute coffee on the ground around your plants you would find that it deters slugs. But it's illegal."

So, of course, we won't try doing that then will we!

Zoe
Think globally, shop locally
Check out my blog at http://designedbyzoe.blogspot.com/
http://www.thomzo.co.uk

User avatar
Thomzo
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular
Posts: 4277
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:42 pm
Location: Swindon, South West England

Re: 101 Things I Wish some-one would invent...

Post: #263361 Thomzo
Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:04 pm

demi wrote:A button on the TV which sets off an alarm on the remote controle so you can find it when its lost.

A button on a key ring, which you can hang up on your key hook, which sets off an alarm on your keys.


:lol: Definitely and can I add a device that sets off an alarm on your trowel so you can find it in the garden?


demi wrote:
Soler pannel roof tiles, so your whole roof would be a soler pannel, providing energy for your whole house.


Tata are reportedly developing a solar paint. If they succeed then your whole house could, literally, generate electricity.

Solar tiles do already exist. Try this: http://www.solarcentury.co.uk/homes/about-solar/c21e-solar-tiles-and-slates/. I guess they must be more expensive than panels.

Zoe
Think globally, shop locally
Check out my blog at http://designedbyzoe.blogspot.com/
http://www.thomzo.co.uk

User avatar
MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 5010
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:15 pm
Location: North Notts.

Re: 101 Things I Wish some-one would invent...

Post: #263376 MKG
Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:54 pm

Thomzo wrote:
baldybloke wrote:How about the following:

An effective slug defense system.


Interesting article in this month's edition of The Garden. It went something like this:

"It's illegal, but if you were to try spraying dilute coffee on the ground around your plants you would find that it deters slugs. But it's illegal."

So, of course, we won't try doing that then will we!

Zoe



What, what, what??? Illegal? Got a link for that, Zoe?

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

User avatar
boboff
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular
Posts: 1809
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:29 am
Location: Gunnislake,Cornwall

Re: 101 Things I Wish some-one would invent...

Post: #263380 boboff
Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:57 am

I thought Illegal was a poorly bird of prey.
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.

http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

Mustardseedmama
Living the good life
Living the good life
Posts: 270
Joined: Fri May 11, 2012 11:40 am
Location: Central United States

Re: 101 Things I Wish some-one would invent...

Post: #263416 Mustardseedmama
Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:22 pm

Thomzo wrote:
baldybloke wrote:How about the following:

An effective slug defense system.


Interesting article in this month's edition of The Garden. It went something like this:

"It's illegal, but if you were to try spraying dilute coffee on the ground around your plants you would find that it deters slugs. But it's illegal."

So, of course, we won't try doing that then will we!

Zoe

O.K. I'll bite. Why is this illegal?
What if you're wrong? What if there's more? What if there's hope you never dreamed of hoping for?
Nichole Nordeman----Brave

User avatar
Thomzo
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular
Posts: 4277
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:42 pm
Location: Swindon, South West England

Re: 101 Things I Wish some-one would invent...

Post: #263418 Thomzo
Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:52 pm

Mustardseedmama - you are, fortunately, not governed by the EU. Here, anything used in the garden as a pesticide or fertiliser has to be 'approved'. You can still put coffee grounds on the compost heap, thank goodness.

Zoe
Think globally, shop locally
Check out my blog at http://designedbyzoe.blogspot.com/
http://www.thomzo.co.uk

Mustardseedmama
Living the good life
Living the good life
Posts: 270
Joined: Fri May 11, 2012 11:40 am
Location: Central United States

Re: 101 Things I Wish some-one would invent...

Post: #263441 Mustardseedmama
Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:50 am

Thomzo wrote:Mustardseedmama - you are, fortunately, not governed by the EU. Here, anything used in the garden as a pesticide or fertiliser has to be 'approved'. You can still put coffee grounds on the compost heap, thank goodness.

Zoe


Thank you for explaining that. I do think our "democratic government" is working very hard to try to catch us up to the "rest of the world" in over-regulation and ridicules restrictions/statutes though. :banghead:
What if you're wrong? What if there's more? What if there's hope you never dreamed of hoping for?
Nichole Nordeman----Brave

niknik
Living the good life
Living the good life
Posts: 434
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:50 pm
Location: Spain

Re: 101 Things I Wish some-one would invent...

Post: #263537 niknik
Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:08 am

cant see why it would be illegal......., amybe isnt " approved" but that really refers to anytghing thats to be made for sale!

niknik
Living the good life
Living the good life
Posts: 434
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:50 pm
Location: Spain

Re: 101 Things I Wish some-one would invent...

Post: #263538 niknik
Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:11 am

as far as items Id want invented

remote control ( preferrably with as mentioned above an anti-loss alarm) to turn the volume down or up ( rare) on the kids!) and preferrably also with an option to be ableable to teleport them a long way away!

User avatar
Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 4877
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 2:21 pm
Location: West Cork, Ireland

Re: 101 Things I Wish some-one would invent...

Post: #263539 Odsox
Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:24 am

niknik wrote:cant see why it would be illegal......., amybe isnt " approved" but that really refers to anytghing thats to be made for sale!

I think you are right, although I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. :iconbiggrin:
I understood that individual people can more or less do what they like as long as they don't use poisons or pollute. I think it's more a case that EU companies can't sell products containing banned substances and professional gardeners can't recommend using them.
It's the same (or at least, used to be) with the dreaded Health & Safety. If you're employed you must wear all the protective gear but if you're self employed or an individual you can use your own initiative as to what's necessary.
But I'm probably wrong ... see disclaimer below.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

User avatar
gregorach
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular
Posts: 885
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:53 pm
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland

Re: 101 Things I Wish some-one would invent...

Post: #263541 gregorach
Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:53 am

Odsox wrote:
niknik wrote:cant see why it would be illegal......., amybe isnt " approved" but that really refers to anytghing thats to be made for sale!

I think you are right, although I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. :iconbiggrin:
I understood that individual people can more or less do what they like as long as they don't use poisons or pollute. I think it's more a case that EU companies can't sell products containing banned substances and professional gardeners can't recommend using them.
It's the same (or at least, used to be) with the dreaded Health & Safety. If you're employed you must wear all the protective gear but if you're self employed or an individual you can use your own initiative as to what's necessary.
But I'm probably wrong ... see disclaimer below.


That's my understanding... But people do love to imagine that they're bravely standing up for freedom and sticking it to The Man when the truth is that nobody's interested in what they're doing, and it's all perfectly legal even if they were. "Ooh, look at me, I'd a rough, tough, rebel outlaw - I'm putting my toilet roll on the holder the wrong way round!" :iconbiggrin:
Cheers

Dunc

User avatar
Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 8370
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:16 pm
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620
Location: North West Highlands

Re: 101 Things I Wish some-one would invent...

Post: #263542 Green Aura
Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:02 am

gregorach wrote:I'm putting my toilet roll on the holder the wrong way round!" :iconbiggrin:


You mean there's a right way? :shock: :scratch: :lol:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

User avatar
gregorach
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular
Posts: 885
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:53 pm
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland

Re: 101 Things I Wish some-one would invent...

Post: #263545 gregorach
Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:14 am

Green Aura wrote:
gregorach wrote:I'm putting my toilet roll on the holder the wrong way round!" :iconbiggrin:


You mean there's a right way? :shock: :scratch: :lol:


Quite.
Cheers

Dunc

sarahkeast
Living the good life
Living the good life
Posts: 292
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:26 am
Location: Longridge, Lancs

Re: 101 Things I Wish some-one would invent...

Post: #263552 sarahkeast
Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:39 pm

niknik wrote:as far as items Id want invented

remote control ( preferrably with as mentioned above an anti-loss alarm) to turn the volume down or up ( rare) on the kids!) and preferrably also with an option to be ableable to teleport them a long way away!



Yep I will second that.

And also a timer device that switches off hot water in shower after 5 minutes. We dont run out of hot water with a combi boiler so now I try to remember to time teens and switch heater of, when I can !
Sarah :flower:

User avatar
SparkiFlaim
margo - newbie
margo - newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:32 pm
latitude: 52.636878
longitude: -1.139759
Location: Leicester, UK

Re: 101 Things I Wish some-one would invent...

Post: #263567 SparkiFlaim
Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:27 pm

I wouldn't mind having something to teleport spiders to safe location away from my house (or just away from the house mate) saves me trying to catch the fast little things, without taking a leg off, I don't mean to they just move at the last minuet, and i always feel bad putting them out in the cold anyway


Return to “101 Uses For”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests