Well, well Well (and a pump)

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
vancheese
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Well, well Well (and a pump)

Hi people

I wasn't 100% sure where I should post this but as it affects my veg patch, here seems a good place. Living in hungary, I need to water my veg patch for them to survive the dry hot summer. I've started to water the patch using my house water, which is from a well. The patch is located about 60m from the house tap and using the long hose causes a pressure drop and stops the sprinklers from rotating.

I do have a traditional well (like this http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... runnen.jpg) closer to where I would like to water and I was wondering if it would be possible to pump the water from well. I, however, know nothing about wells, pumps and was wondering if people could point me in the right directions. The internet is too full of information, can I please borrow some of yours ?

Ta

Andy

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Well, well Well (and a pump)

I had exactly the same problem with the overhead sprinklers in my tunnels, they worked fine on the submersible well pump, but just dribbled on the gravity fed spring water, (the well water is full of iron and stains the polythene).
A relatively cheap fix for me, and possibly for you, was to fill a tank close to where I wanted to irrigate and got a cheapo Lidl pressure pump.
That works wonderfully well and if you put a ball valve on the reservoir tank it will nearly keep pace with the irrigation pump.
I got this one ..http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/xchg/SID-55A ... _28771.htm
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

Maykal
Barbara Good
Barbara Good
latitude: 44.44361
longitude: 26.14056

You can pick up cheapo submersible pumps for about 50 Euro these days in most of the larger DIY type stores like Bricostore or Praktiker (or whatever you have over the border there). You just want to check the depth of the water in the well and calculate the height you'll be drawing the water through to make sure it's powerful enough. You'll also need flexible hose and enough extension cable to get power to the well.

vancheese
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Thanks for the cracking advice!

doofaloofa
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

You're wellcome
ina wrote: die dümmsten Bauern haben die dicksten Kartoffeln