How do you consume your blackberries?

Foods for free. Anything you want to post about wild foods or foraging, hunting and fishing. Please note, this section includes pictures of hunting.

Sorry to say that Selfsufficientish or anyone who posts on here is liable to make a mistake when it comes to identification so we can't be liable for getting it wrong.
E-P
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

How do you consume your blackberries?

Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:37 pm

So far I frozen them and only used for breakfast smoothies. I was told I could make jam from them, but I got quite a bit of jam already and making more soon with the rest of the apples.

How else can you use them?

sassan
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Re: How do you consume your blackberries?

Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:49 pm

Currently making blackberry and elderberry wine and also making blackberry whisky.

I haven't made either before, but I hear that blackberry whisky is amazing and even better than sloe gin!

Also, blackberry and apple crumble is wonderful!

Nonogon
margo - newbie
margo - newbie
latitude: 34
longitude: 34

Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:21 pm

I've made blackberry jam, apple and blackberry crumble, apple and blackberry pie, apple and blackberry muffins, breakfast smoothies and hot and cold porridge (mix blackberries with porridge oats over night and in the morning stir in yoghurt to eat). Also had some with ice cream or yoghurt and the occasional sneaky handful straight from the fridge. Yummy!

Zech
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 52.36
longitude: -3.84

Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:27 pm

Here's a good idea for blackberry-based vinegar:
http://www.atomicshrimp.com/st/content/blackberry_balsamic

I've tried it and it's good!
---
Rachel

Take nobody's word for it, especially not mine! If I offer you an ID of something based on a photo, please treat it as a guess, and a starting point for further investigations.

My blog: http://growingthingsandmakingthings.blogspot.com/

kaiakate
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:23 pm

Blackberry smoothie is a great idea! I've made blackberry gin and am going to make blackberry and apple crumble next. Yum!

bonniethomas06
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:18 am

Jelly! I don't like blackberries in jam personally as I find the seeds a bit yucky in texture. So I made some hedgerow jelly with apples, a lemon and loads of blackberries. It is beautiful, looks a beautiful ruby colour in the jar and tastes nice too.

Can't eat them in anything since I picked a load once, left them out to do something else and returned to find literally a thousand tiny maggots crawling about which had emerged from the fruit - yuk! Put me off for life. If only the same thing could happen with pizza or chocolate.
"A pretty face is fine, but what a farmer needs is a woman who can carry a pig under each arm"

My blog...

http://www.theparttimesmallholder.blogspot.com

Return to “Wild Foods and Foraging”