Real Ginger Beer Plant

Homebrew, cordials, cheese, dehydrating, smoking and soap making. An area for all problems to be asked, tips to be given and procedures shared.
applegrower
margo - newbie
margo - newbie
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:07 pm

Re: Real Ginger Beer Plant

Post: #288804 applegrower
Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:35 pm

I've been reading all of your posts about making a Ginger Beer Plant from scratch. First of all I just want to state the obvious. What do you mean by 'from scratch'? You surely don't mean from atoms, amino acids, or from DNA. We're talking about propagating something that you can find at random on objects you find in your supermarket, kitchen or garden. Some say there's no yeast involved in a Ginger Beer Plant. There is, Saccharomyces florentinus, it is a yeast related to Saccharomyces cerevisiae, or bakers' yeast. Also the assumption many people are making is that yeast and lactobacillus are on the ginger. the lactobacillus is quite common, here in the UK at least. The yeast is not so common. It has been suggested that it grew on sugar cane but that has never been supported with any evidence and it is not the case now for sure, even if you were to get living canes, they've been tested and not shown to cary Saccharomyces florentinus.

The assumption that because Ginger Beer Plant was made once therefore it is easy or likely is a non-sequitur. Someone wins the Euromillions almost every week, chances are 1 in 134 million, rounded a bit, but your chances are higher of dying after you bought your ticket than they are of winning. Life happened once on this planet but there is no evidence of it ever happening a second time by chance. The condition all came together to make a Ginger Beer Plant once, or that the symbiotic culture evolved from something similar, the common ancestor of both Ginger Beer Plant and Tibicos. Who knows? The point really is, people have been trying to make a Ginger Beer Plant 'from scratch' for many years and not a single person has ever reported back that they did it. Why bang your head against a brick wall? You can propagate A culture from stuff you find in your kitchen, but it is more likely you'll win the Euromillions or die before you make a Ginger Beer Plant. But good luck. :-)
Last edited by applegrower on Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 8380
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:16 pm
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620
Location: North West Highlands

Re: Real Ginger Beer Plant

Post: #288805 Green Aura
Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:11 pm

I'm not sure of your point.
I think, if you look again through the previous posts, that those seeking THE ginger bug only contribute once or twice on Ish and then disappear.
Most of us merely want to make ginger beer, to drink.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

User avatar
diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1787
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:23 pm
Location: North West Ireland

Re: Real Ginger Beer Plant

Post: #288809 diggernotdreamer
Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:33 pm

I had this dream, that I had a sort of Hadron collider and I put sugar, ginger and some cuckoo spit into tube and gave it a whizz and the atoms and stuff must have done a Brundle Fly thing and fused together and now I have a ginger beer plant, in my greenhouse, with a little tap in the trunk that you can turn on to draw off the most amazing and perfect ginger beer and then I woke up went out into the greenhouse and it had really happened, I have had to go into hiding now, because Multi national corporations want to steal my precious plant from me

applegrower
margo - newbie
margo - newbie
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:07 pm

Re: Real Ginger Beer Plant

Post: #288815 applegrower
Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:48 am

Green Aura wrote:I'm not sure of your point.
I think, if you look again through the previous posts, that those seeking THE ginger bug only contribute once or twice on Ish and then disappear.
Most of us merely want to make ginger beer, to drink.


edited 'a lot' to 'all'. Happy? :lol:
Last edited by applegrower on Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1787
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:23 pm
Location: North West Ireland

Re: Real Ginger Beer Plant

Post: #288821 diggernotdreamer
Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:25 pm

applegrower wrote:
Green Aura wrote:I'm not sure of your point.

edited 'a lot' to 'all'. Happy?


Aha, I remember you, on another post, you were a bit touchy then as well, in fact I thought you had resigned,
but here you are, again :wave: :lol:

applegrower
margo - newbie
margo - newbie
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:07 pm

Re: Real Ginger Beer Plant

Post: #288822 applegrower
Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:01 pm

diggernotdreamer wrote:
applegrower wrote:
Green Aura wrote:I'm not sure of your point.

edited 'a lot' to 'all'. Happy?


Aha, I remember you, on another post, you were a bit touchy then as well, in fact I thought you had resigned,
but here you are, again :wave: :lol:


I forgot you don't like dry humour on here. edited and added a :lol: :lol:

User avatar
Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 8380
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:16 pm
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620
Location: North West Highlands

Re: Real Ginger Beer Plant

Post: #288824 Green Aura
Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:55 pm

"a lot" didn't appear anywhere in my post.
Dry humour is absolutely fine, I haven't found any in your post.

I suggest you go back and read our rules on behaviour. Thus far you're not exhibiting even a rudimentary understanding of "be nice".
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

applegrower
margo - newbie
margo - newbie
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:07 pm

Re: Real Ginger Beer Plant

Post: #288836 applegrower
Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:56 am

Green Aura wrote:"a lot" didn't appear anywhere in my post.
Dry humour is absolutely fine, I haven't found any in your post.

I suggest you go back and read our rules on behaviour. Thus far you're not exhibiting even a rudimentary understanding of "be nice".


Wouldn't it be 'nice' to teach by example for you mods? I think that is the reason I didn't come back to your site for years and probably why you won't see me again for years. Accusing someone of being 'touchy' is the refuge of the bully. That's not nice is it? Since you're accusing me of 'not being nice' perhaps you could quote me the bits where I am being unkind, personal, or offensive so I can make amends. So far it's only the mods that that have been personal, and offensive.

User avatar
diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1787
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:23 pm
Location: North West Ireland

Re: Real Ginger Beer Plant

Post: #288837 diggernotdreamer
Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:03 pm

Do you know what, I am not going to give any examples, because if anyone clicked onto your 10 posts over the last 6 years, they are quite rude and angry, if you hate it so much on this forum, why don't you just deactivate your account and have a nice life where we can't inflame you

applegrower
margo - newbie
margo - newbie
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:07 pm

Re: Real Ginger Beer Plant

Post: #288839 applegrower
Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:26 pm

diggernotdreamer wrote:Do you know what, I am not going to give any examples,


Funny that. :lol:


diggernotdreamer wrote:because if anyone clicked onto your 10 posts over the last 6 years, they are quite rude and angry,


More unsupported nonsense from you diggernotdreamer. That really is not the case. :lol:

diggernotdreamer wrote:if you hate it so much on this forum, why don't you just deactivate your account and have a nice life where we can't inflame you


Yet more unsupported nonsense and personal digs from you diggernotdreamer. I've got two brothers and I'm from Lancashire, I've got much thicker skin than you might think and I don't walk away from from bullies without making it clear I don't do victim. You need to lighten up. I like how you admit to being inflammatory though. Very Big of you! :lol: :cheers: :wave:

User avatar
Brewtrog
Living the good life
Living the good life
Posts: 234
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:17 pm
Location: Warrington

Re: Real Ginger Beer Plant

Post: #288842 Brewtrog
Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:33 pm

applegrower wrote:
diggernotdreamer wrote:because if anyone clicked onto your 10 posts over the last 6 years, they are quite rude and angry,


More unsupported nonsense from you diggernotdreamer. That really is not the case. :lol:


I've really been trying to bite my tongue and not get involved in this... but
applegrower wrote:

It is and you do, but if you are actively making viniger as well, then you are tempting fate if you keep the two near, doubly so if you use the same kit for both.

This is why I stopped posting to discussion groups. I wish I'd kept out of it all together now. THE VOICE OF DOOM HAS SPOKEN OOOOOOOOOHHH. ALL HEED THE VOICE OF DOOOOOOOMMMMMMMM!!!! Jees, how do you get up in the morning?

There's some support, in particular "Jeez, how do you get up in the morning" (pointed at me).

User avatar
Brewtrog
Living the good life
Living the good life
Posts: 234
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:17 pm
Location: Warrington

Re: Real Ginger Beer Plant

Post: #288843 Brewtrog
Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:35 pm

Anyhow getting back to topic, I know I've heard plenty of good reports of using whatever yeast you have to hand to make ginger beer. I recognise this isn't using the rgp scoby, but it works and is a bit more self-sufficient instead of buying some scoby or other (be it the rgp or not) and just using the yeast cake for the next brew

applegrower
margo - newbie
margo - newbie
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:07 pm

Re: Real Ginger Beer Plant

Post: #288847 applegrower
Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:16 pm

duplicated in error
Last edited by applegrower on Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

applegrower
margo - newbie
margo - newbie
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:07 pm

Re: Real Ginger Beer Plant

Post: #288852 applegrower
Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:44 pm

applegrower wrote:
Brewtrog wrote:
I've really been trying to bite my tongue and not get involved in this... but

applegrower wrote:This is why I stopped posting to discussion groups. I wish I'd kept out of it all together now. THE VOICE OF DOOM HAS SPOKEN OOOOOOOOOHHH. ALL HEED THE VOICE OF DOOOOOOOMMMMMMMM!!!! Jees, how do you get up in the morning?

Brewtrog wrote:There's some support, in particular "Jeez, how do you get up in the morning" (pointed at me).


:lol: from Jun 13, 2016 1:12 pm my exasperation at the lunacy of a situation. :lol: I just saw
pointed at me
Have you been nursing that for for seven months???? :shock: :shock: :roll: :roll:

I don't think I've got anything to worry about. Unless of course you're perfect examples of enlightened beings, in which case we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Brewtog, the phrase reductio ad absurdum is coming to mind. :banghead: :wave:

User avatar
Brewtrog
Living the good life
Living the good life
Posts: 234
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:17 pm
Location: Warrington

Re: Real Ginger Beer Plant

Post: #288860 Brewtrog
Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:57 pm

Admittedly the "any yeast" is a bit simplistic. I wouldn't use baker's yeast. But most home-brewed will have some ale yeast or wine yeast hanging around somewhere, which will get you an alcoholic ginger beer and shouldn't give you any problems flavour wise (obviously the rest of the ingredients will have an impact there). And if you keep up with it then the yeast cake can be reused as infinitum.
Of course if you want to go more in depth you'd pick a yeast that would produce complimentary flavours for the ginger beer but, in essence, any s. cerevisiae will work


Return to “Home Brew and other Country Skills”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests