fruit trees

Want to talk about fruit and nuts? Got any problems? Here's your place to post.
new gardener

fruit trees

Hi there,
new to the sight, just thought I could pick your brains, just moved into a new house and have a Apple Tree and a Pear Tree just wondered when was the right time to prune them, don't want to kill them.

Many Thanks :?

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

G'Day New Gardener,

Generally you should prune them in winter, or at least before the new years leaves sprout. I my experience, unless you prune them at the trunk with a chain saw :oops: , it is difficult to kill an otherwise healthy tree by pruning.

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

new gardener

fruit trees

Hi WOMBAT,
just wanted to say thank you for the advise, I will have ago soon, the forecast says snow on its way so I will wait a bit.

Thanks again :cheers:

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Glad to be of help!

Nev

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

diver
Living the good life
Living the good life

having read your advice ,wombat, I wondered if you could please advise me.Last year I bought 5 bare rooted apple trees from someone I know who is a landscape gardener, he had bought a load at auction and sold me these. He told me to just put the in the garden an I would get eating apples. I didn't get any last year, bu I only planted them in july so I wasn't surprised. Two of them are against a wall in a raised bed in an enclosed courtyard. THe other 3 are in the border of my front garden which is exposed to sea, salt and wind. This person now says to just leave them but really he doesn't want to know. I put a pile of mushroom compost round them in the autumn but have no idea what else, if anything, I should do...please advise

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

G'Day Diver,

Sorry I can't give you better news mate.........it will be at least 4 - 5 years until you get a decent crop of apples :cry: . That is the thing with fruit trees, they take a while to come into bearing. If you do get a small amount of fruit it should be removed anyway, because the trees are trying to establish themselves at the moment. :shock:

There is an old saying (that may have originated in the UK) that you plant vegetables for yourself, fruit trees for your children and nut trees for your grandchildren!

Another problem is that most apples (granny smith is an exception) are self sterile :oops: and need an apple of a different variety (the correct variety) to act as a pollinator for your particular variety. I think the ratio is about 1:20 or something like that, so you will need to talk to your local nursery or fruit growing people and find out the pollinator for your variety, assuming your friend told you what variety they are. Another way, if you or someone you know, can graft is to pinch some budwood off an existing pollinator tree and then graft it onto one of yours.

If you are in an apple growing area you may be OK, there may be a suitable tree within a bees flight of your property anyway.

Good luck mate :cheers:

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Just re-reading your post, I don't think that your apples will thrive in a salt laden environment (most plants don't unless they have adapted and live there OK normally). :(

If you can, move them before the spring flush starts, to an area away from the salt. Just dig them up with as much soil around the roots as you can manage. Mulching is good, maybe some well rotted (or composted) chook poo around them in the spring to help them get away quickly too.
:mrgreen: Against a wall is good, if it is a south facing wall.

Nev

diver
Living the good life
Living the good life

thanks, wombat, I will move the three that are in my front garden and put them on my tiny allotment ,at least there are lots of other apple trees there so that should be one of my problems solved, cheers, diver

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

No worries Diver, glad to help.

Shelle
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Nev you mentioned Grannie Smith is an exception - i love eating granny smith - is this the easiest apple tree to grow?

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

G'DAy Shelle,

Granny Smith is self fertile, so you don't need a pollinator, but you get the best apples from a colder climate than Sydney. I don't think I've had a decent apple off our tree in the 20 odd years we've had it!

Your best bet would be to talk to your local garden centre or horticulturist, and see what varieties are best for your area. They are coming up with new low chill varieties which might be OK in your area. If they need a pollinator, jus tby the two varieities and plan't em togehter in the whole and prune together.

another way is to graft on a scion of the pollinator onto your main tree (if compatable).

Nev