Would you buy a straw bale house?

Anything to do with environmental building projects.

If I were to invest in an eco-house I would buy a...

Poll ended at Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:13 pm

Straw bale
35%
Cob house
10%
Earthship
30%
Cordwood house
No votes
Green oak house
10%
Earthbag house
5%
Adobe house
10%

Total votes: 20

Muddypause
A selfsufficientish Regular
Location: Urban Berkshire, UK (one day I'll find the escape route)

frozenthunderbolt wrote:earthship, cob, rammed earth/adobe or earthbag. while some people may have good results from them i have reservations about their durability.
Earth building has a history going back thousands of years - in fact probably to the time that man first became a builder. There are many examples of cob and wattle & daub houses several hundred years old still in use in the UK, and rammed earth and adobe buildings much older can be seen in drier climates.

In a wet climate like the UK, the building has to be properly detailed, and the correct sort of render or protective coating used. Apparently, in recent times, failure of cob buildings which had stood for hundreds of years was down to a modern waterproof coating which did not let the walls dry out, so moisture would accumulate in them, eventually leading to catastrophic failure. I don't think the principles of construction are difficult to understand, but a proper understanding of what you are doing seems essential.

A few years ago an architect-designed cob house was build and sold in the UK for the best part of a million quid.

In fact, IIRC, a year or so ago we had someone on this forum who had built his own cob house. Can't remember what his name was, but a search may turn up something interesting.

In answer to the OP's question, circumstances prevailing, I wouldn't buy any of them, but I'd like to have a go at building one or two of them myself.
Stew

Ignorance is essential

frozenthunderbolt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sorry, to clarify my reservations are about the straw bale houses durability - i know that the rammed earth house especialy are damn near indestructible - i should have made that clearer, sorry.
Jeremy Daniel Meadows. (Jed).

Those who walk in truth and love grow in honour and strength

Martin

I notice that the "green oak" option has got no votes yet - if anyone wants longevity, this could be the choice - Kent is full of oak-framed houses built several hundred years ago, which are still standing. :cooldude:
http://solarwind.org.uk - a small company in Sussex sourcing, supplying, and fitting alternative energy products.
Amateurs encouraged - very keen prices and friendly helpful service!

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Martin wrote:I notice that the "green oak" option has got no votes yet - if anyone wants longevity, this could be the choice - Kent is full of oak-framed houses built several hundred years ago, which are still standing. :cooldude:
Is there enough oak still around?

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

Muddypause
Location: Urban Berkshire, UK (one day I'll find the escape route)

frozenthunderbolt wrote:Sorry, to clarify my reservations are about the straw bale houses durability
Ah, well, in that case... I've helped on half a dozen strawbale builds in the past couple of years, so I reckon I can comment about these too. I suppose it all depends upon what you mean by 'durable'. One of the big advantages of strawbale buildings is that they can return almost completely to the ground when they are done with, unlike concrete, steel, plastic and fired bricks. It's not always appropriate to build things with an indefinite lifespan when our needs and communities are likely to change beyond our own lifetimes. Any house will become structurally unsound if it is not maintained, or simply lived in.

Having said that, I'm pretty convinced about a straw bale building's ability to withstand the rigours of time and use. Again, it all depends upon proper detailing, and using appropriate materials. Many issues that people raise are taken care of by good rendering with a lime or earth render.

Rot will only be an issue if damp is allowed to persist in the walls, so a vapour permeable render has to be used, and measures taken to stop condensation forming within the bale. Well draining foundations will also help too.

Fire cannot spread if it is starved of air, which should also be taken care of by good rendering. Rats and mice may try to make a home in the wall, but only if they can easily get to it. Straw is not a good food source (unlike hay), so they are not greatly attracted to it, and in the one case I have seen where they did make a nest, the damage was minimal and easily taken care of.

You can use straw bales either in combination with a timber frame, or on their own, where the bales themselves will take the loads of the structure. In a load bearing build, the bales will compress and settle for a little while, but only within limits, before it becomes a stable and solid support. This has to be accounted for in the design, but is not really an issue of durability.

Most load bearing buildings have so far been single storey ones, but people are beginning to get more adventurous. I even heard of one chap's plans to build a traditional tower house on a Scottish island somewhere - don't know what became of that though. Actually, research has shown that the load bearing strength of a strawbale wall is greatly increased by the layer of render applied to each side, working in combination with the strawbale core - it is a case where the whole is greater than the sum of the parts,

Just my opinion, but done properly I wouldn't think a well built srawbale house need be any less durable than, say, a wattle & daub house, of which there are examples going back to the 14th century in England.
Stew

Ignorance is essential

naturalhomes
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Hello frozenthunderbolt,

Maybe this site will be interesting for you http://www.greenershelter.org/

Oliver

frozenthunderbolt
Site Admin
Site Admin

muddypaws and natural home thank you both. interesting stuff - still have to say i like rammed earth better - but hey thats just me! thanks for all the info :lol:
Jeremy Daniel Meadows. (Jed).

Those who walk in truth and love grow in honour and strength

Thurston Garden

Straw bale for me! and one day we will do one.

(Am trying to steer parents down that route at the moment.....it's taking some convincing though! I'll huff and I'll puff and I'll blow your house down :oops: )
Thurston Garden.

http://www.thurstongarden.wordpress.com
Greenbelt is a Tory Policy and the Labour Party intends to build on it. (John Prescott)

ina

What I'd really, really like is a straw bale house made from Hesston bales... Imagine the huuuuge windowsills - big enough for all my plants and seedlings!

Has anybody ever done that?
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Super.Niki
Living the good life
Living the good life

I don't know a lot about the different types of housing...but I've happily fallen in love with strawbale!

My reasoning is quite simple (and not particularly green!): I love the look of them!!! I've always had a soft spot for history and totally adore any Tudor/Medieval/Renaissance style houses (you know the ones, black wonky beams and white in between!) So much character and they look so lovely too... I figure if and WHEN I build my strawbale house I can have my very own Locksley Manor (Robin Hood... gotta love it!)...that and it will be eco-friendly too! It's a win-win situation! :-D

.......I know.....living in dream world......!
If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants.

naturalhomes

Hi Super Niki,

I think you are thinking of green oak with 'wattle and daub', a mixture of straw and clay supported by hazel sticks between the oak structure.

I agree... fantastic houses.

Oliver

Cassiepod
Living the good life
Living the good life

I'm with muddypause on this one, I wouldn't buy one cos I'd really rather make on myself. :cheers:

Super.Niki
Living the good life
Living the good life

oh yeah it's those I like but I love the strawbale ones too (and they look so warm!) so if I actually had a choice I'd make a strawbale house... to look like on of those houses!! :-D

Sounds like a plan!
If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants.