Hello from Liverpool

We love hearing from you, so here is your chance. Introduce yourself and tell us what makes you selfsufficient 'ish'. Go on don't be shy, we welcome one and all. You can also tell us how you heard about us if you like.
Wormella
Barbara Good
Barbara Good
latitude: 52.8045
longitude: -2.1154

Hello from Liverpool

Gosh, this forum is just the kind of thing I've been looking for (clicked from River cottage's site).

My boyfriend and I live in a flat in Liverpool city center. We get a veg bag every week which dictates most of our cooking. My boyfriend doesn't eat meat, but we do eat fish, and any meat I do buy, and I think we counted the instances in the last year on one hand) come from a bi-weekly farmers market.

I love food and cooking, but I'm hampered by living in the city center when it comes to lots of things!

diver
Living the good life
Living the good life

hello Wormella, I also live in Liverpool...well Crosby. I have an allotment in Litherland where I go all my veg and fruit. I am veggie but I do eat a bit of fish now and then ( I'm a diver and I prefer to see the in the water rather than on the plate). Where abouts do you live..as I usually have LOOAADS of excess veg in the summer and autumn. Do you have a balcony to grow herbs and tomatoes and such like. Anyway welcome to the site, it's really good.

hedgewitch
A selfsufficientish Regular

Hello Wormella ( love the name )
Welcome to the forum :flower:
My Blog
My Website

Plant Seeds and sing songs.

Muddypause
Location: Urban Berkshire, UK (one day I'll find the escape route)

diver wrote:I am veggie but I do eat a bit of fish
Isn't that a contradiction?

I'm reminded of a time when I booked a table at a restaurant.
"It's for four vegetarians" I said.
"Will fish be OK?" I was asked,
"No, we're vegetarians" I repeated,
"Oh, you mean vegans"
"No, VEGETARIANS"

The bugger of it was, that when we got there and ordered the food, two people asked for the fish.

And welcome, Wormella, BTW.
Stew

Ignorance is essential

Millymollymandy

Hi Wormella and welcome. I hope you will share some interesting veg recipes with us!

ina

Hi Wormella and welcome!

Nice picture of you :wink: - does it have anything to do with your name?

By the way, yes I know that problem with veggies who eat fish... There isn't really a good name for that category. Non-meat-eaters wooulds be correct, but sounds a bit clumsy. (I'm a veggie, and restaurant folk often presume that, naturally, I should be quite content with seafood! Yuk! Actually, I hardly go to restaurants anymore. I'm fed up with filo parcels stuffed with bland veg or maccaroni cheese.)

Anyway, apart from these minor differences, I think we all have a lot in common here. At least that pot of parsley in the kitchen... I think Andy is probably best suited to giving hints on what to grow on windowsills.

Cheers
Ina

Wormella
Barbara Good
Barbara Good
latitude: 52.8045
longitude: -2.1154

The correct term for people that eat fish but not meat is pescatarian.

We're right in the center of Liverpool (L3) so no garden or balcony :(

Thanks for the warm welcome all of you.

ina

Pescatarian - must admit I'ver never heard that! At least it's only one word (as opposed to non-meat-eater), and it's more in line with vegetarian; but somehow I don't think restaurant staff would have a clue what you were talking about if you told them you were one! Is there another word for those who only eat poultry?

Ina

Muddypause
Location: Urban Berkshire, UK (one day I'll find the escape route)

Surprised to see it spelt that way (which seems to be correct) - I've always had it as 'piscatarian', as in pisces (actually, when I say "I've always had it as...", I don't actually remember ever using the word at all!).

In fact, my dictionary doesn't list either 'piscatarian' or 'pescatarian', but it does have 'piscovorous', but I think that may refer to someone(thing) who only eats fish.
ina wrote: Is there another word for those who only eat poultry?
I think 'carnivor' (or a subset of) would cover it, but how about 'aviatarian', or something similar. Anyone volunteering to phone a restaurant and state that as your culinary preference? - Let us know how you get on.

I think these derivatives that end in '...atarian' can be a bit misleading. They seem intended to imply that they are a version of 'vegetarian', which clearly is not necessarily the case - how about 'bovatarian' for a vegetarian who also eats beef (or maybe a drinker of the new version of Bovril)?
Stew

Ignorance is essential

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hi there Wormella

Hmm sounds like you could have trouble growing stuff. I had a go at growing a tomato plant this year indoors. I put it in a bucket on a chair next to the window. It grew to a pretty big size, but not much fruit. It is difficult to pollonate I rubbed the flowers together and some grew frut others did not. But you could grow herbs in a bucket near a window if you have the space.

Anyway welcome to the site.
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

ina

Muddypause wrote:- how about 'bovatarian' for a vegetarian who also eats beef (or maybe a drinker of the new version of Bovril)?
I once knew a self-proclaimed "vegetarian" who did eat a bit of sausage once in a while... So meat is ok as long as it doesn't look like it?!

Sorry, Wormella, for hijacking your introducion for this discussion on eating habits! :oops:

Ina

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Actually my girlfriend is a vegie but will eat meat that she has not tried before. So one valentines we had phesant. Now shall I try and find some road kill badger and see if she will eat that :wink:
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

ina

Ha, that reminds me of somebody who, I think, called himself a "freetarian" - he only had meat when it was free... (Mainly roadkill!)

Ina