The Last Straw

Solar energy, wind turbines whatever it is then here is your place to talk about it.
justskint
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Chav supposedly originated in the Medway towns!

I am not sure that demolishing one estate to replace it with another that might be slightly more modern, give it a few years and it’s a slum again. I have no solution it doesn’t work putting lumpen next to decent people in the hope that something might rub off, the decent move out! The lumpen rule OK.

Castration might be one answer.
too many interests, not enough cash.

Busy Bee

I'm glad I'm not the only one who is concerned that the future won't be so rosy and bright. Here we are, the subject of derision by the majority, hated by some because we are not normal, but as soon as the crunch comes, they will be plotting against us because we had the foresight to start early and they will see us with our plentiful crops and warm houses, and we will be hated then because we have an abundance which they will want without making any effort.

ina
A selfsufficientish Regular

justskint wrote:
Castration might be one answer.
That's what the Nazis thought, too. Careful what you say and wish for.
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

justskint
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

My comment on castration was tongue in cheek. However I have been personally affected by lumpen behaviour, I will attempt to put into a narrative.

At one point in my life I opened a shop selling second hand goods, in an area of tower blocks and mixed social housing, which on the surface looked OK but once I opened the door my troubles started. It was bees to honey, thieving, attempted break-ins rife, paranoia the norm. I decided to close shop for a while, stock to charity. Fitted grills to the windows, bricked-up the back door!

I reinvent the shop selling collectables such as; Bakelite radios, plastics and all things kitsch, the paranoia remained. A slightly different crowd this time; few locals had interests in items I sold, sure I had enquiries for I could be a dirty spammer, please let one of the moderators know about this post and videos, I attracted the local drunks and junkies looking for talcum powder so they might sell it to some unsuspecting person. Children 3ft high came in mob handed to steal anything they could run away; to be intimidated by a child is not a pleasant experience! To keep out the undesirable element I kept the door shut, this was not a satisfactory arrangement, so it was not long before I closed the door for good.

A few years ago I purchased an ex-council house in what appeared to be a pleasant area, big mistake! One night about a week-in there was a terrific thud at the window somebody, had thrown a handful of dirt from the garden. On another occasion one mid morning I caught a couple of my neighbours offspring attempting to gain entry into my van. This event gave me cause for concern so, I decided to sell-up, but I was regularly picking up litter and nappies from the streets. Another ghastly episode in my life!

I am at present living on a private 60-70s built housing estate, looked good, visited at various times of day, nothing untoward happening! Wrong again, I bought a house on part of the estate that is popular with the buy-to-let owners. Resulting in strange behaviour, probably social housing! Having that said a good few owner-occupiers have attitude, but this is my own class, of which I am utterly ashamed.
:oops:
too many interests, not enough cash.

Helsbells

Martin, what you say is exactly what I fear. How can we store things up when if other people are left with nothing, aside from the fact that I couldnt bear to see people starving etc, my house would be broked into, my allotment ransacked! What is the answer? I suppose we just ahve to hope that it doesnt come to this.

ina

justskint wrote:My comment on castration was tongue in cheek.
OK - but better make that clear. There are too many people out there (on forums as well) who do say these things and mean them.

And I know there's some unacceptable behaviour out there... I was once offered a flat in an area of council housing - after only a very short waiting time, because nobody wanted to live there. One look at it, and I knew I would have to spend so much on making the place safe to live in, it would be no cheaper than paying rent on the open market! Plus, I would not have felt safe walking home from the night shift... Still, looking at the people who lived there, their faces were so vacant, I did feel sorry for them.
Ina

Smooth Hound
Living the good life
Living the good life

this all serves as a horrible reminder as to why i moved up here, i have lived on similarestates, and i am no snob , but i would sooner live in a caravan in a layby in the middle of nowhere then go through that again, kids climbing up your fences, breaking everything, nothing was safe, this is what i mean, these people are completely unprepared, there is nothing i would like better then to get across to them that they need to learn as to who there enemy is, because it certainly isnt me, at the moment they are there own worst enemy
When the rain falls it doesn't fall on one mans house.

Chickenlady

This is the conversation I have in my head on a regular basis. I thought it was just me!

Difficult to contemplate without a glass of home made wine, though, and since it is 8am, perhaps I had better come back tonight!
Haste makes waste

ina

Smooth Hound wrote:nothing i would like better then to get across to them that they need to learn as to who there enemy is, because it certainly isnt me, at the moment they are there own worst enemy
True - but who do you blame? They were brought up that way - you have to learn different somewhere... It's well known that if your parents are long-term unemployed, you are likely to be the same; if your parents have criminal tendencies, you are likely to be the same - in each case unless you've been very lucky and either inherited the best genes from both sides of your parents and ended up with lots of drive to get yourself out of the rut, or you were equally lucky and got yourself an exceptional teacher/mentor when you were young who inspired you to do better. You'd probably need both.
Ina

The Riff-Raff Element

I confess that I am very happy we are many, many miles from a large town. The "collapse" scenario worries me - not to the extent of paranoia exactly, but I am looking to acquire a little more land and trying to achieve energy self sufficiency (my lovely wife has agreed to the wind trubine!)

I agree that government is not likely to give a lead anytime soon: their world revolves around getting re-elected, so they are not going to do anything that could hurt this even it means ignoring the right descisions.

camillitech
Living the good life
Living the good life

Start preparing now chaps, buy a house on a hill or even a caravan with a bit of land , in the middle of nowhere, preferably with a little stream and some woodland. Then get a firearm certificate whilst you still can :wink:

Personally I don't think it will be as bad as Martin thinks but I'm not taking any chances and I've been preparing since 1989 :roll:

Cheers, Paul
please bear in mind when reading this post that i'm a taurus so prone to talking bull.

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

Smooth Hound
Living the good life
Living the good life

camillitech wrote:Start preparing now chaps, buy a house on a hill or even a caravan with a bit of land , in the middle of nowhere, preferably with a little stream and some woodland. Then get a firearm certificate whilst you still can :wink:

Personally I don't think it will be as bad as Martin thinks but I'm not taking any chances and I've been preparing since 1989 :roll:

Cheers, Paul
i wouldnt have thought that you would need a shotgun on raasay, when i was over there i didnt see one other person, and i was there all day, sight seeing and wallking around.

ina

Smooth Hound wrote: i wouldnt have thought that you would need a shotgun on raasay, when i was over there i didnt see one other person, and i was there all day, sight seeing and wallking around.
He probably wants it to kill a few rabbits for the pot... :wink:

I think I'll stop short at a gun. Useful things if you eat meat, I suppose...
Ina

camillitech
Living the good life
Living the good life

Smooth Hound wrote:
camillitech wrote:Start preparing now chaps, buy a house on a hill or even a caravan with a bit of land , in the middle of nowhere, preferably with a little stream and some woodland. Then get a firearm certificate whilst you still can :wink:

Cheers, Paul
i wouldnt have thought that you would need a shotgun on raasay, when i was over there i didnt see one other person, and i was there all day, sight seeing and wallking around.
Aye but we're very partial to the odd rabbit or the occasional deer that strays onto mrs Cs veg plot :lol:
please bear in mind when reading this post that i'm a taurus so prone to talking bull.

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

Smooth Hound
Living the good life
Living the good life

It must be a great place to live, we walked round to the deserted village, or remains of it, it was a great day.