We've cut car use by 18,960 miles a year

If you know of a way to help save our planet, even just a small part of it put it here. Also if you want to ask how to help, or even if you want to promote your environmental organisation. All goes here.
Stonehead
A selfsufficientish Regular

We've cut car use by 18,960 miles a year

Yes, really. People may be convinced you need two cars to survive, but despite living in the countryside, transporting two young children to school, nursery and assorted activities, having livestock, and having busy lives we've managed to prove it is possible to make a major cut in car journeys.

We've slashed from two cars back to one and a bike, get lifts, have a car pool going and have drastically cut unnecessary journeys. We're now using just under 3,000 litres less diesel a year than we were.

When we said we thought it could be done, scores of people trotted out dozens of excuses about why it couldn't be done, especially when you live in the countryside. Now that we've managed to do it, will their excuses change?
Last edited by Stonehead on Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

That's amazing...

Well done, since I have never driven I couldn't instigate quite the same thing here, but that is a HUGE saving.

I glanced at the subject line and it looks like you have cut it by 18.96 miles - I thought, thats VERY precise :lol:
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

snapdragon
latitude: 51.253841
longitude: -1.612340

Re: We've cut car use by 18.960 miles a year

Stonehead wrote:.........Now that we've managed to do it, will their excuses change?
:lol: yup - they'll be saying "well that's ok for you - but we have "XX" that we neeeeed car(s) for"

well done the Stonehead clan :cheers: - I'm fervently hoping that I can get a job nearer home and be able to walk like I did a few years back - before they moved the blasted workplace
Say what you mean and be who you are, Those who mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind
:happy6:

marshlander

snapdragon wrote:
Stonehead wrote:.........Now that we've managed to do it, will their excuses change?
:lol: yup - they'll be saying "well that's ok for you - but we have "XX" that we neeeeed car(s) for"
We have one, old but servicable car. I used to have my own, nearly new car but gave that up as soon as I gave up my 'propper job' where my commute was 12,000 miles per year at least plus the same for the OH. So I suppose you could same we've cut our milage too but that's only by a total change of lifestyle which isn;t for everybody.

Could we do more? We've 2 buses a week from the village centre but you need a car to get to the bus stop as we're some way out. The only supermarket that delivers 20 miles from their store is t**** so we buy all we can from farm shops, farmers market and suma but we still need some shopping. We try to minimise car runs, thinking how we can combine errands and so on. We do our best which is all you can ask really.
Terri x
“I'd rather be a little weird than all boring.”
Rebecca McKinsey

camillitech
Living the good life
Living the good life

We're 10 miles from anywhere so mrs C does 12k a year just taking the dude to school :shock: Me I'm lucky cos I work week on week off so can get away with half that mileage but short of taking the dude down to school at 7:00am and bringing him back at 7:00pm I can't see how we can reduce it, though a smaller car for mrs C when hers dies is on the cards. To be honest I think the dude would be just fine taught at home but I do think children need to be about children.

Cheers, Paul
please bear in mind when reading this post that i'm a taurus so prone to talking bull.

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

Stonehead

marshlander wrote:So I suppose you could same we've cut our milage too but that's only by a total change of lifestyle which isn;t for everybody.
And if peak oil and climate change predictions are even half correct? "Everybody" may find change forced on them...

ina

I do about 8,000 to 9,000 miles a year - but I'd like to cut back on that, too. The nearest village is 4 miles; I should at least be able to do some of those trips (milk, paper) by bike, or even walking (currently biking trouble)...

Ha - not a New Year's resolution, but an end of February resolution:

Coming Sunday (not working, hooray!), I'll walk for my paper. (Will somebody please check that I've done it, and if not, kick my bum for me?)
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Stonehead

Paul, have a look at Peter Perkins' solar and wind-powered Bedford Rascal. It has a range of 75 miles or so, cruises at 30-40mph and tops out at 50mph.

His website has all the details of how he built it.

Stonehead

The response I've had on my blog to cutting our car mileage as been edifying to say the least. I've had to suspend comments on that post after getting more than 50 vicious, obscenity laden messages from people who feel life as we know it will end if they can't have the car and consumer lifestyle of their choice.

It seems challenging the car culture is not allowed and that all greenies/hippies/freaks/weirdos/commies should be strung up for daring to impede progress or send humanity back to the Dark Ages.

Sigh.

At least everyone is much calmer and more reasoned here! (Either that or we're all one of the above...)

Martin

don't know whether you saw it or not, there was a good programme on Channel 4 last night at 9 about a campaign to get people to cut their car use -
"The Woman Who Stops Traffic" - it was the first of a series. Despite similar bitter opposition, she managed to get schools encouraging kids back to crocodiles/bikes, and local business park inhabitants to car share and walk or bike into town at lunchtime........I was quite heartened! :wink:
What was interesting was the proof of what I've long believed - the worst congestion was caused by bally "school runners" - when trying to convince schools and parents, she produced a map with the school in the middle, with parent's postcodes marked - the number who were driving distances as little as a half or quarter of a mile!!!!!!!!!!!! :geek:
I reckon a "well worth watching" recommendation
http://solarwind.org.uk - a small company in Sussex sourcing, supplying, and fitting alternative energy products.
Amateurs encouraged - very keen prices and friendly helpful service!

Stonehead

I wrote a post as I was watching the program, but have suspended it as well. Again, the diseased minds of fervent drivers only allow them to respond with filth and threats of violence.

Shirley

Why do people feel the need to be rude and abusive to someone that is working SO hard to do their bit. It really saddens me.

I won't be doing the school run on a bike, but I really do take my hat off to you Stoney. We are 5 miles away from nursery - J is there for 2.5 hours per day. I really can't see me cycling with him on the back up the hills and round the bends, it's scary enough for me in the car!!

I do actually HATE driving though, and always try to avoid unnecessary trips. Once J starts school in August, he will travel to school on the school bus which picks up outside our door. Then I could possibly see me not needing a car.

We get most of our store cupboard basics from Suma; we're about to start having our milk delivered from the guy that delivers in our area anyway; We're going to grow our veggies with a group of other people in the area - a shared polytunnel and shared land - all organic too. Any other bits and pieces we need can be picked up by David on his way home from work. If I get a job then I may need a car, but it depends on where my job would be based. I'm looking for work in the area that David works in so that we can travel in together and keep the costs down.

It goes without saying, that another alternative is for us to sell up and move within walking distance of a village and do without a car altogether.
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

Stonehead

Shirlz wrote:we're about to start having our milk delivered from the guy that delivers in our area anyway;
Tell me more, please! The two dairies I've spoken to, after seeing their vans in the area, only deliver to houses in villages and businesses. Even though their vans drive past the croft!!!!

Must dash now. Have to get the Wee 'Un.

red

good for you Stonehead. - thats an achievement.

Like Shirlz I was in the position of having to drive to the school twice a day - we lived 4 miles from the school, my son is disabled. Since we started home ed the miles have drastically reduced.. even though we still go swimming, to the library, and trips out.

Have to add though that we do nothing like 18000 miles a year, and OH has a 40 min drive to work - he works from home half the time so that helps. and now we live in a village, there is less need to travel

- so we could not save as many miles as you, cos we are not doing them in the first place!
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

Stonehead

Anyone fancy a Citroen Berlingo Electrique van? There's one on eblag.

They're built by Citroen. I'm very tempted, but the starting bid is out of our reach.