Seed box

Not the 1970s UK TV programme, but a free place for people to swap, give away or sell anything from seeds to tractors. Anything illegal or immoral will be deleted.
smile_sunshine
Tom Good
Tom Good

Seed box

Bonniegirl wrote:
Why not start a seed box. On a NZ forum they have been doing this for sometime and it;s very popular.

You put in some of your seeds, bagged and labelled then forward to the next person, who them takes 'some' seeds for their garden and adds some of their surplus to the box and forwards on again, etc. You can build up quite a few seeds this way and you get to share them with others.

You just need someone to start it off, and a thread with the list of names to send on to.

Why not give it a try.

Anyone want to do this if I organise it?

and if anyone has spare seeds i can use to start it off that would be great too (though i have a few myself too) [/quote]

Bonniegirl
A selfsufficientish Regular

Good luck with the seed box, once it gets going it does work very well.

At least by doing it this way you only end up paying one lot of postage, until it comes back round to you again.

I hope you get as good a response and the NZ one is doing, they're cholping at the bit over there! LOL :wink:
The Mothers of teens now know why some animals eat their young!

smile_sunshine
Tom Good
Tom Good

justskint
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I have quite a few Butternut Squash seeds dried out, send details by private email I shall post a handfull.
too many interests, not enough cash.

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

I do think it is a good idea... but I would worry that it would only take one person to not send it to mess up the whole thing...

I like doing swaps, but I am not the most organised of people and when we had a death in the family it set me right back... some people have been waiting a while for their swaps (sorry guys :oops: )

What I am saying is that... if one person holds onto the box for that long it could mess up people's planting, and some might miss the time altogether.

The best solution I can think of is... make sure that the 'box' can be posted with a 'Large Letter' stamp, meaning it is quite simple for anyone to pop it in the post, the cost wouldn't change and you wouldn't have to get to a post office.
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

ina

One concern I have for our country is that the sowing season is often very short; and if you miss that particular window, you've had it for the year. Also, it's quite different in the North and South of the country... So you'd have to take all that into account when you are sending seeds around! Is it still going to be worth it sending to a particular part of the country - would the window have been missed for them? It would be hugely annoying to receive a packet of wonderful seeds only to realise that it's too late in the year to use any of them...

Although I think swapping is always great, I think I'll stick to our personal, small swap circle (for us around here via NEEPS). Advantage is also that when you do it like that you can include seedlings, cuttings and plants...
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Bonniegirl

You're right Annpan, it can and does happen. It fact in just has on the NZ forum. Luckily it's been tracked down and it's back in circulation again.

If you have a waiting list you know who to send it onto next. On here you tell the next person it's on it's way, they then say they have received it, take what they want, add to it and send to the next person, again announcing on here that it's on its way. That way at least you will have some idea where it is.

Things can and do get lost in the post, so there is that rick too, but then there's that risks sending anything eh?

Give it a go, see how you get on. If it doesn't work then at least you gave it a shot. :flower:
The Mothers of teens now know why some animals eat their young!

red

ina wrote:Advantage is also that when you do it like that you can include seedlings, cuttings and plants...
yeh I'm looking forward to my houseplant cutting.. and I have no idea what it is!
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

Mydreamlife
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Could it be held perminantly at 1 persons address and when people have spare seeds they can just send them with a stamped address envelope saying what they require. If the contents is recorded on a new new thread then updated asap when any come/go we would all benifit and no risk of missing correct season, losing all in post! I don't mind starting it here and holding it for 12months then maybe someone else could take over next year?!
Behind every sucessful man is an fantastic woman!
Not sure who first said it or exact words but so very true!!

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

red wrote:
ina wrote:Advantage is also that when you do it like that you can include seedlings, cuttings and plants...
yeh I'm looking forward to my houseplant cutting.. and I have no idea what it is!
Once again Annpan fails to be organised :oops: ... OH forgot to pick it up on his way out this morning... it has to go via the PO... and it is 3 miles to my closest one... I'll get it sent in the morning :oops:

Got your seed btw :cheers:
Ann Pan

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

red

oh no rush, just looking forward.
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

marshlander

wandering sailor is another name for tradescanthia (SP?)
Terri x
“I'd rather be a little weird than all boring.”
Rebecca McKinsey

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

yes it is, but none of the images I can find are much like the wandering sailor I have... so I don't know what variety it is :? (it is all green)

I am sure it came from a cutting given to my mum in the '80s... they just grow and grow... quite lovely really... I have 4 at the moment, dead easy to take cuttings too. :mrgreen:
Ann Pan

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

smile_sunshine
Tom Good
Tom Good

hmm dont think i'll organise it as there doesnt seem to be much interest (and thats a good point about someone forgetting to send the box).
So thanks anyway for the offer of the seeds justskint :)

Mydreamlife
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Mydreamlife wrote:Could it be held perminantly at 1 persons address and when people have spare seeds they can just send them with a stamped address envelope saying what they require. If the contents is recorded on a new new thread then updated asap when any come/go we would all benifit and no risk of missing correct season, losing all in post! I don't mind starting it here and holding it for 12months then maybe someone else could take over next year?!
Smile_sunshine, it does seem a shame not to do it at all, could we not just try it another way, I bet it would catch on... especially if we started a new 'section' for what is available in the vege box at all times! or just run it for certain seasons?
Behind every sucessful man is an fantastic woman!
Not sure who first said it or exact words but so very true!!