washing machine problem

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
chadspad
A selfsufficientish Regular

washing machine problem

I came on here before when I had a problem with my cooker and someone gave me the exact answer so Im coming on here again with a query about my washing machine before my hubby tears it apart and I cant wash again!!

There seems to be some kind of blockage between the door and the next seal as there is an excess of water left in there after washing. I have dirty speckled patches all over my clothes when Ive washed them which can actually be removed so it seems its dirt floating around inside the drum. Has anyone else ahd this problem and is it easily remedied?
My parents B&B in the beautiful French Vendee http://bed-breakfast-vendee.mysite.orange.co.uk/

Jobi1canobi
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: washing machine problem

Not sure if this will help - but have you cleaned out the filter in a while?

My mum had a similar problem when the drum was not emptying of water after a wash and the clothes had some dirt on them.

Apparently you're supposed to flip open the small door at the bottom right hand side on the front of your machine (could be left on yours though) and clean out the filter that catches all the 'gubbins' after every wash (yeah, right!). My mum hadn't done hers for years and eventually the whole drainage pipe had backed right up with dirt, hair and even small pebbles (!) until it finally blocked up completely.

If this is the case, you might be able to dismantle the pipe and clear it out yourself but my poor mum had to pay for an engineer as she didn't know what the fault was.

Hope that helps - good luck! (Although it could be something completely different :scratch: )

(oooh - must mention - if you do the above - be prepared for water to gush out of the filter when you open the door and take the screw plug out...).

Edited to add: If you find that you have difficulty turning the screw plug - it is very likely that it is backed up as the filter is usually attached to the plug so that you pull it out in one piece. (Hope all this makes sense?)
Jobi1

"A bargain is something you can't use at a price you can't resist." - Franklin Jones.

chadspad

Thanks very much for your detailed response. Hubby has already done this tho so thats not the problem. We have seacrhed on the net and found that I should be doing some washes with vinegar every now and then on hot washes to clean the machine and also with normal powder (I always use liquid) so will give this a go and see if it helps.

Thanks again anyway, much appreciated :thumbleft:
My parents B&B in the beautiful French Vendee http://bed-breakfast-vendee.mysite.orange.co.uk/

Peggy Sue

I was told only to clean the filter when it really needed it as everytime you take it out the seal gets worse and eventually you'll leak- so I wouldn't do it every wash- once every few years meaybe??!!
Just Do It!

Jim2806
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Have a look at the belt. It may be stretched or glazed. The tub needs to spin as it drains, and a slipping belt could cause the tub to slow or stop while it's draining.

chadspad

Thanks for replies everyone. Appears its a normal problem for machine that are used with liquid cleaner rather than powder to get a build up of grease and mould because liquids dont have bleach in them. I have run a few hot washes with powder and 1 with white vinegar as recommended and it does seem to be better. I shall use powder from now on and see what happens.
Thanks again

mrsflibble
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

I do a hot white wash once every month or so (not enough white things to d more regularly lol!) and as there's a lot of towels in it I use vinegar instead of conditioner in that load. I put in twice as much as normal 'cos I figure this is me cleaning the washer too hahaha!!
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!