How do I learn to make my own clothes?

The whole reason for the selfsufficientish website was to offer a place where anyone can ask, HOW DO I...? So who knows why it has taken us so long to have a HOW DO I? section, but here it is. So if you want to know how to do anything selfsufficientish then here is the place to ask.
MelNAustin
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

How do I learn to make my own clothes?

So, it seems to me that if I learned to make my own clothes that it would not only save me money but would also put me on my way to being more of an "Ish"er...Unfortunately, girls are not taught sewing much any more when they grow up, and I do not know the least bit about making my own clothes.

Anyone have any ideas?

Regards!
Mel

John Headstrong

Re: How do I learn to make my own clothes?

making clothes from scratch is quite hard but not impossible to learn.

I find that repairing and adapting what you have a great place to start to learn, even if it is just something that you only wear in the garden or woods. Also charity shops (or whatever the equivalent is called in the US) are a great place to find clothes that may just need a little bit of work.

MuddyWitch
A selfsufficientish Regular
latitude: 52.643985
longitude: -1.052939

The following is a UK site so you might need to 'translate' some of the words, (for example we say 'tack' but in the USA I believe you use 'baste') but several friends like it.

http://www.startsewing.co.uk/

MW
If it isn't a Greyhound, it's just a dog!

Ellendra

Look around your area, there are usually sewing classes or clubs around. If not, there are lots of books on sewing for beginners.

contadina

I've been inspired to make quite a few things here http://www.craftster.org and many of the tutorials for making clothes do not have patterns, so perfect for beginners .

becks77

In the goodold days, clothes were taken to pieces and then "turned"(turned inside out) to save material and teach the art of sewing, could this be an option, ?
"no-one can make you feel inferior without your permission"

greenfingers
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

you might want to think about borrowing/finding/invesing in an old style sowing machine. these can be quite cheep now adays if you look in the right places.
if you were from the uk, id say go along to you local WI and ask around. you wwould probubly pick up alot of useful info in the proscesss (but i dont know if you even have those in the US)

becks77

"you might want to think about borrowing/finding/invesing in an old style sowing machine. these can be quite cheep now adays if you look in the right places."

My friend just picked up a couple of singer sewing machines (for a charity thing) on Freecycle they were beautiful when cleaned up. but these were hand driven(does that make sense?) so lots slower than leccie ones.

MuddyWitch
latitude: 52.643985
longitude: -1.052939

I just call 'em 'manual' Becks, as opposed to foot-treadle, electric treadle or computerised....I collect sewing machines!;)

A manual one is a great place to start though, especially if it comes with it's original instruction book & attatchments. I can do far more on my 1920 hand-wound Singer than I can on my computerised 2003 model, & not just because I'm computer illiterate ;)

MW
If it isn't a Greyhound, it's just a dog!

becks77

Thanks MW was having word trouble and couldn't get my head round it!!!! :scratch:

fruitcake
Living the good life
Living the good life

MuddyWitch wrote:I can do far more on my 1920 hand-wound Singer than I can on my computerised 2003 model, & not just because I'm computer illiterate ;)MW
Soooooooo true - I kept breaking my 1970's New Home machine - it's quite new fangled - was my gran's 'new' one - has lots of feet and does fancy embroidering stuff - unfortunately I only occasionally use it for making / hashing clothes but more often than not use it for making curtains, fixing pals sleeping bags and trying to make things for kayaking out of old waterproofs etc and for trying to batter through boat lining and all sorts of nonsense.

The last wee guy I took it to to get it fixed said
1. Have you ever oiled it or do you just leave it in the cupboard and expect it to work once every few years :oops:
2. Why have you got an industrial needle in it - they don't fit it

My mortified replies -
1. I didn't know you could and
2. the normal ones kept breaking :scratch: :scratch: :scratch:

His response was get an older model - they are more substantial and less nonsense! - so I borrowed my neighbours :thumbleft: My mother won't let me nick my gran's old one - an electric Singer (doesn't even do backwards) as she still uses it.

Cassiepod
Living the good life
Living the good life

an electric Singer (doesn't even do backwards)
That's what I've got. IT's fab. I just made myself a beautiful velvet tails coat for ballroom dancing with it and my mum came and helped we had her 'new' 1970s one set up beside it and they were classes apart. It may only go in one direction but it'll keep ging forever!

MelNAustin
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Yah I have a free sewing machine from a kind of thrift store place (same thing as a charity store?) that I have. It's no name I have ever heard of, but I figure for a beginner it will do. I have patched a pair of pants before...if that counts for anything haha. And my grandmother did teach me about straight lines...I made a "Fringe Frenzy" quilt that way, where it is onesided flannel strips sewn together, with the cloth at the seams cut to make a fringe, instead of backing it. It worked out well! But I do know clothes are different...

I like the idea of taking apart old clothes and turning them inside out to practice...and the book idea is also a good one. Unfortunately I wouldn't be able to afford classes so it's self teaching here on out...oh and I still have to look at that website with the non-patterned clothing that was great for beginners...

hehe I try to fit my responses to everyone in one box..but then I must remember what all was said!
:D :wink:

MelNAustin
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

MuddyWitch wrote:The following is a UK site so you might need to 'translate' some of the words, (for example we say 'tack' but in the USA I believe you use 'baste') but several friends like it.

http://www.startsewing.co.uk/

MW

That website didn't open up...?

vicki
Tom Good
Tom Good

The site worked for me! Try again :)