capsicum oversupply

You all seem to be such proficient chefs. Well here is a place to share some of that cooking knowledge. Or do you have a cooking problem? Ask away. Jams and chutneys go here too.
nick
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

capsicum oversupply

HELP......... have got capsicum loaded on the bushes. Still have some in the freezer from last year. Everyone I know has been loaded up.

Millymollymandy
A selfsufficientish Regular

Lucky you! Enjoy - or is it the same as too many courgettes? :help:

nick
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Guess it is a bit of a challenge. I know plenty of recipes for cougettes although for some reason haven't had to worry about them this year. seem to be able to kill the plants before they produce of they look wonderful but only have male flowers.
Only grew the capsicum because I use it in a recipe to preserve cucumbers, but then I changed recipies this year because the cucumbers were ready earlier than the capsicum.

ina

Pity you live on the other side! I managed to grow a few in the polytunnel the last couple of years, but they stayed small - no problems with a glut. This year, they are just at the two-leaf stage... Will prick out soon, let's hope they survive.

Can't you dry them, too? I know you can buy dried peppers here. That would at least keep the freezer free, and you could stick them in pretty jars and use them as birthday presents for all your (delighted?) friends and family!
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yep, I've dried then with the solar drier. ..............lots of pizzas?

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

I went to a Russian deli the other day and they seemed to pickle everything from parsley to peppers. I am guessing that there is a short growing season in much of Russia so that they have to preserve the short harvest. So perhaps you could pickle them, maybe even to sell at local farmers market?
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

Millymollymandy

I made some capsicum (pepper) relish in 2003 and it has lasted well in the jam jars - still got one left unopened. It is very nice whether red or green peppers and contains a lot of honey so it is quite sweet but goes well with cold meats etc. I'll dig out the recipe if you are interested.

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Cooooool! I'm starting to accumulate the buggers as well! :cheers:

Nev

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

glenniedragon

Pepper Antipasto

Can be used in pasta, pizza, strews etc.... can be stored for about 3 months. This recipe makes about 2 1lb jars.

1 1/2lb mixed colour peppers (cut in half with seeds removed)
4 tablespoons olive oil
4 sprigs of oregano or marjoram
8 cloves of garlic that have been sliced
8 floz colurless distilled malt vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
4 teaspoons caster sugar

Put the peppers under a grill after having a though brushing with the olive oil for about 15mins turning regularily. When they have burnt bubbly skin turn off the grill and allow to cool. When cool remove the skins and cut the flesh into strips. Divide the strips between 2 sterilized 1lb jars with the garlic and oregano or marjoram. In a microwave safe jug put the vinegar, salt and sugar and heat in the microwve on medium (550w) for 4 mins stirring onec with a wooden spoon. Leave till completely cold and pour into the jars with the peppers. Top with paper discs and cover with non-metallic lids.

voila!
kind thoughts
Deb

nick
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Thanks for the recipe Deb, will have a go at it today. MMM, if you have time, would love your recipe for pepper relish. Have plenty of peppers to try in recipes this year.

ps Aussie pepper - either white or black to use with salt :wink:

Millymollymandy

I guess technically pepper is that too in the UK, but hey, you have zucchini and eggplants, and we have courgettes and aubergines! Just as long as we all understand each other that's all that matters!

Here's the recipe - I'll post it in the recipe section too. It's American so in cups but I don't think that's a problem for the Aussies. I didn't bother with the hot water bath sterilising either as I never do that. Also it worked out very expensive because of the amount of honey but it may not be so expensive in Australia (think it's just France :( ). I also made a batch using green peppers too. As I said before, still fresh nearly 3 years later!!!

Red Pepper Relish

12 medium or 8 large sweet red peppers, stems, seeds removed
2 cups onions, chopped
2 cups white vinegar
3 cups honey
1/2 tsp ground ginger
4 tsp whole allspice
1 lemon, sliced, seeded
4 Tsp salt

Cover and peppers with boiling water and let stand for 5 minutes; drain. Repeat and drain well. Chop coarsely in a food processor. The mixture should measure 4 to 5 cups.

In an enamel or stainless steel saucepan, combine peppers, onions, vinegar, honey, salt and lemon. Tie allspice and ginger in a cheesecloth bag and add to mixture. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat slightly and continue to boil for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cover, refrigerate and let stand 6 hours or overnight.

Wash jars and lids in hot, soapy water. Sterilize jars in boiling water for 10 minutes; leave in hot water. Prepare lids according to manufacturer’s directions.

Bring relish mixture to a boil in a large saucepan and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove and discard lemon slices and cheesecloth bag.

Ladle hot relish into hot jars leaving 1/4-inch headspace. Seal with lids and process for 10 minutes in a boiling-water bath.

This recipe yields 6 half-pint jars.

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Nice recipes, gotta give 'em a go!

Nev

The Chili Monster

Ive just posted a new pepper recipe on this forum:

http://www.selfsufficientish.com/forum/ ... php?t=1666

I'm waiting for a friend of mine to email me her recipe for peppers pickled in brandy. Will put this up as soon as I get it. She served it at a party a while back and it didn't last long.
"Rich, fatty foods are like destiny: they too, shape our ends." ~Author Unknown

Support Team "Trim Taut & Terrific"

Tigerhair

I would simply cut them into thick strips about a cm wide - roast them in olive oil and pepper in the oven until they are soft and then put them and the olive oil in jars - they are delicious in salads and on top of pizzas or in any recipe...
Tigz x

Stonehead

Or if you're really, really mad how about pepper wine? I have a recipe somewhere that uses assorted peppers (whether capsicums or chillies), as the base for a homebrew with a real kick.

I've never had enough peppers to make it, but it sounded like a real humdinger. I'll have to see if I can find it.

Stonehead