How do I.... get the smell out of a rug?

The whole reason for the selfsufficientish website was to offer a place where anyone can ask, HOW DO I...? So who knows why it has taken us so long to have a HOW DO I? section, but here it is. So if you want to know how to do anything selfsufficientish then here is the place to ask.
Jinwin
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

How do I.... get the smell out of a rug?

Hey,

The topic title pretty much says it all but here's the long version...

In my area, there's a free bulk uplift by the council every Thursday morning so Wednesday night is a good time for a scavenge round the streets. This Wednesday I found a nice patterned rug that needed a bit of wash so I took it up to my flat. It was pretty filthy but that came out with a good scrub with a carpet cleaner and then a wash-down in the shower however it still reeks of dog wee - I imagine it was the favourite rug of a new puppy during his house-training - and despite a second scrub and large quantities of that Febreeze stuff, it still smells. So any ideas?

Bonniegirl
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: How do I.... get the smell out of a rug?

I've heard that a sprinkling of baking soda can help
The Mothers of teens now know why some animals eat their young!

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

I'm afraid I can't come up with any fabulous homemade solution. However, several years ago our, then, kitten peed on the stair carpet. We tried all sorts of things none worked and she kept going there. We couldn't afford a new carpet.

In desperation I asked at the pet stall and was sold a bottle of "Nilodour" (I think that was the spelling). Bloody amazing. After the first application she stopped so she couldn't have been able to smell it any more. We did it a couple more times to make sure.

And the best thing was it was only lightly perfumed (not like that Febreze stuff - which I can't stand) so it didn't replace cat pee smell with something equally hideous.

I don't know if you can still get it but if you can I would highly recommend it.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

pumpy

You could try diluted lavender oil, sprayed onto surface, then allowed to dry,.... hoover, then if you have any stains,, make a paste with bi-carbonate of soda & rub into the carpet (like "Vanish")
it's either one or the other, or neither of the two.

indy
Living the good life
Living the good life

laugh though you may, I have just been through puppyhood with my spaniel, carbolic soap is the best thing I've ever used to get rid of the smell or if you can't get that, that Fairy Mild Green Household Soap is a good alternative, you can get carbolic off the tinternet though, :salute:
Sing like nobody's listening, live like there's no tomorrow, dance like nobody's watching and love like you've never been hurt.

Jandra
Living the good life
Living the good life

I sometimes use vinegar to remove odours. At first it smells very... well... vinegary, but if you leave it outside to air it should take a lot of unwanted smells away.

Jandra

Keaniebean

If you want a nice scent, then put some drops of aromathrapy oil into some bicarbonate of soda. I thinks something like lavender or tea tree would be best as they act as antiseptics aswell. Leave the bicarb to soak up the oil for a bit and then use it like shake and vac.

You could always try each of the above methods in turn and if your rug still stinks put it back out for the council next week :wink:
Sarah.x

Come on over and see the fun at Troll Manor http://trollfamily.blogspot.com/ Now blogging once more :) after a little shove from the one and only MMM.

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Most of the time bicarb will do it IMO but with really bad smells use a biological washing powder solution with warm water. Biological washing powder is designed to dissolve enzymes in sweat, blood and urine , non-bio, just doesn't work the same.
<- is almost totally clueless in chemistry, but it works.
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

crowsashes

agree with the biological washing powder, have used it to get all kinds of stains out of things,

vinegar is great to get rid of smells, bicarb too, i use charcoal in the fridge to keep that smelling ok, not sure how you would use it on a rug though.

JillStephens7
Living the good life
Living the good life

Pretty much what everyone else says, but just to point out if you are impatient like me, that bicarb works better if left on for a few hours, pref. overnight.

I'm terrible for sprinkling it on then hoovering it off half an hour later and expecting miracles :roll:

Vinegar is meant to break down uric acid I think, so might be better for this? xx

becks77

We have had this problem, and have used aflour shaker full of bicarbonate of soda with a couple of drops of either tea tree or lavender, shake it on the offending area, rub in using gloved hands and leave for as ong as possible, then either brush out the extra powder or vaccuum.
Best of luck
Becks
"no-one can make you feel inferior without your permission"

Jinwin

Thanks very much for the replies everyone!

I'm going to give the bicarbonate soda idea a whizz and then if that doesn't work I'll take it round to my neighbour's house and ask to soak it in their bath with biological washing powder and then if THAT fails I will buy some of that Nilodour stuff.
I'll let you know how it turns out!

Cheers :icon_smile:

thesunflowergal

Thanks for starting this thread Jinwin.

My dd2 was sick all over the lounge carpet yesterday. Cleaned it all up, but now it smells of sour milk. So I am off to give some of these ideas a go .

Nikki
Stay at home Mummy to Orin 8, Trixie 6 and Temogen 4 . Also three Chickens Dottie, Poppy and Dr Mumbo. Three cats called Flossie and Pickle and Lexi.

Check out my blog:
http://ramblingsofasunflowergal.blogspot.co.uk/