Grumpy old man

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Grumpy old man

Some of life's (annoying) mysteries ...

Given that cod liver oil is good for arthritis, why do they put child-proof lids on the tubs that any self respecting child could open but makes it just about impossible to open with arthritic hands ? :banghead:
If oil is so dangerous for children, why don't they put child-proof caps on litre bottles of corn/sunflower/olive oil ?

Why is it that T&M put the important seed info (year packed/sow by) on the top flap of seed packets, just the bit you tear off to get at the seeds ? :banghead:
Mr Fothergill put theirs on the bottom flap.

Lastly (for now) why do courgettes insist on producing myriads of female flowers when they first start flowering and no male flowers to accompany them ? :angryfire:
My 2 plants now have 4 female flowers but of course they will never become courgette fruits, all because I forgot to order parthenogenic ones and you can't get them in garden centres around here.

Feel free to add your own, or even give explanations.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

crowsashes
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Grumpy old man

ooo i hate the child proof caps on vitamin supplements! i dont have arthritis and i struggle!

the one thing that really bugs me though- why is it when you plan to do something ( carpeting a bedroom in this case) your helper decides at the last minute theres something else to do or they have moer important things when the day before they said 'yes not a problem' :angryfire:

P.S. little ones room still isnt carpeted and it was supposed to be done yesterday and im supposed to be cleaning it today ( hes having the one from the living room as i am redecorating)

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

It's the same reason you can still find boxes with "This side up" printed on the top instead of "Other side up" printed on the bottom.

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

pitwipe
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
latitude: 53*35N
longitude: 116*28W

Tin foil and plasic wrap... neither tear properly across the jagged teeth, but rip about half way across leaving tin foil too small and the plasic wrap stuck to itself and requiring surgical implements to straighten it again :angryfire: :banghead: :scratch:

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

I don't know where to start.... but fortunately I've been saved by the shop bell so will return later with my opus.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Cligereen
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Re-sealable packs (cheese, ham etc) that have no notion in the world of allowing themselves to be re-sealed.

Anything that says 'easy open' probably isn't.

Toilet paper (or should I say 'Bathroom Tissue') that have the two ply sheets out of sync (if you know what I mean). Luckily I remember seeing a TV prog whan I was young called 'How' where Fred Dibner told us how to get them back in sync again - otherwise I'd have many a sleepless night fretting over this major catastrophe.

Turning on the radio and finding sport on virtually every station (there's not much choice of station in Ireland).
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
Check me out on
http://hubpages.com/_3mxsltjcamvqv/hub/ ... een-Living
My website www.fallstoppers.com

Millymollymandy

Seed packets which all have the flap at the bottom now instead of the top, meaning I have to rip half across the top of the packet instead of just opening the flap - if I do that then I'd have to store all my packets upside down and couldn't easily see what I've got. :dontknow: :scratch: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

And anything labelled 'easy opening'. NO IT ISN'T!!! :angryfire:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

fran
Living the good life
Living the good life

The little bits of foil that are across the tops of toothpaste, tomato ketchup etc. They never want to come off!! :roll:
Working towards living the dream on a barge.

my blog about the barge: http://www.fran-bonnieofclyde.blogspot.com

MuddyWitch
latitude: 52.643985
longitude: -1.052939

Supermarket cons:

EG 1 tin 90p or 2 tins for £2.50! I kid you not!!!

MW
If it isn't a Greyhound, it's just a dog!

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Reading the title of this thread I asumed you were talking about me! :lol:

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

Pennylane
Tom Good
Tom Good

Forms that are supposed to make life simple and are easy to fill out....I do not think I have found any that are easy or simple or made life easier... :angryfire:

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

And another thing ....... :iconbiggrin:
Talking of forms, every address form that I fill in on-line for various goods and services INSIST on a post code or it won't let you continue.
THERE ARE NO POST CODES IN IRELAND outside Dublin.

Years ago I even had a well know mail order company in the UK refuse to sell me a computer system because their office computer needed a post code from me. :banghead:
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

Daveswife
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Those tops are very annoying. My Mum is 94 and isn't very strong so whenever she has a bottle of something with one of those tops we have to loosten it for her and she has to leave it semi-tight which is worse than the old type tops.

In the old days when I were a gal, nothing had child-proof tops on because everyone was brought up not to open anything and not to meddle. Well, if you are in your 50's or older do YOU know anyone who drank bleach or swallowed all of Granny's tablets? No, because we were brought up knowing what was right and wrong.

Every year the WI has a resolution - last year it was save the honey bees, and this year it demands clear food labelling. At our meeting last month someone actually voted against this.
I can't beleeeeeve it!
"If you've got the fabric, I can run something up for you."

crowsashes

the one thing that really bugs me is text speak, now it is ok for text you are limited to 150 characters so short hand is well handy !

but its just bloody annoying in an e-mail!! damn it your sat with a full sized keyboard in front of you!! learn to use it! it really bugs me on facebook when people cant even write a sentence correctly :angryfire: or even spell a word !!! the funniest thing though some of these short hand words have exactly the same amount of letters as the original word! :scratch:

Gem
Living the good life
Living the good life

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8339647.stm

This link seems relevent. Apparently its good for you to be grumpy!! ;)

The things that really annoy me? - Driving is my bone of contention at the moment so people who - Drive too fast and stay bumper to bumper with you if you stay within the speed limit, drive 20mph under the speed limit in single lane roads, who have 'little angel on board' stickers but still drive dangerously enough to put boy racers to shame and many many more but I am winding myself up just thinking about it so time to stop whinging!!!