Thinking of Christmas in July!

Another section by popular demand. If you want to talk about anything else that grows that is not livestock, herbs, fruit or vegetables here it goes.
organicsi
Tom Good
Tom Good

Thinking of Christmas in July!

I never thought I would ever be so organised, must be my age! At the moment I taking cuttings from my houseplants (and begging cuttings from others) I plan to grow them on and give them for christmas pressies. Packaged up in cellophane and lots of ribbon, perhaps even in nice planters or decorated terracotta flower pots (if I can pick them up cheaply), who will know they are not shop bought? Actually most of the planned recipients won't care anyway.
I am also picking and drying pot marigold flowers for later use in a variety of cosmetics. Anyone got any other ideas that needs forward planning?

chilitony
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Re: Thinking of Christmas in July!

I usually give my pickles for xmas, so have been growing shallots, red cabbage, beetroot and this year i'm trying gherkins as well.
I am now picking gherkins every other day and trying to perfect the pickling process, having got several recipes from the web. :wave:
captus nidore culinae (caught by the odor of the kitchen)

crowsashes
A selfsufficientish Regular

ive already written out what im getting/making the kiddies, mostly knitted toys, and have been working on them in the evening.

every one else is going to get foraged blackberry jam and probably a box of jam tarts or fairy cakes. ormaybe some hand made ornaments for the tree.

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

I've dried some chive flowers. They look pretty in a jar and are fab in cooking.
Jam making has started.
I'm saving candle ends for pretty firelighters (pour melted wax over a pine cone or a teasle and add some dried herbs)

organicsi
Tom Good
Tom Good

As I was collecting onion and other seeds this weekend, I suddenly thought putting together a small or even large seed collection in a decorated recycled container would also be quite a pleasing gift for quite a few people I know. Similar items are pretty pricey and this would be good and fresh!

Gem
Living the good life
Living the good life

I have given seeds as gifts before. Easy to grow stuff that doesnt need much space always goes down well. I have made jams and chutneys as well and start knitting or sewing things in the autumn with the intention of giving them as gifts. I have yet to perfect basket weaving (still a long way off!) but the home-made cloth bags instead of wrapping seemed to be appreciated.

cocobelle
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Wish I'd read this back in July.....totally unorganised!
Organic Baby Clothes made with natural, sustainable fabrics.