Nettles for skin treatment, can I use them all year

Please keep your posts about natural health and beauty things! This is another popular demand section. So don't prove us wrong and fill it with posts about natural face masks, herbal medicine and anything else you think belongs here.
Tippychooks
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Nettles for skin treatment, can I use them all year

I dimly remember reading somewhere that any nettles other than spring nettles are most definitely not good for you. Did they perhaps mean old nettle plants and would the new growth or young plants be OK at any time? I want to make a skin paste and soup for psoriasis treatment. I have some lovely young plants in my veggie patch :oops: and would like to use them. I've made soup and wine before but only in springtime.
Also, has anyone heard of staining from direct skin applications? The only internet references i can find are American and in some areas they appear to have differnt types of stinging nettles.What do you reckon? Will I give it a go at this time of year or am I better buying dried? I hate the idea of paying for nettles!

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: Nettles for skin treatment, can I use them all year

I would have thought if they're young plants it wouldn't make any difference what time of year it is - it's the growing tips that you use for culinary purposes. So they'd be good for cosmetic purposes too.

I macerate them in oil then strain them out and chuck them in the compost - the oil's great for rubbing on sore joints, arthritis etc - I've never used nettles for facial preparations, but it's also great for a hot oil hair treatment. Just put a little Vit E or wheatgerm oil into the mix and it'll keep the oil from going off for about a year.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Tippychooks
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Re: Nettles for skin treatment, can I use them all year

great, thank you. Will give it a go!