An unusual birthday present!

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
happyhippy
A selfsufficientish Regular

An unusual birthday present!

Hi all,
Well this idea certainly puts a new twist on growing your own! :iconbiggrin: We are friends with a couple who live 2 doors down from us,we havent known them that long but OH found out that it was the guys birthday today.When OH told me I mentioned it was a shame we had'nt known about it as I really like giving presents.Then I had a lightbulb moment!I keep nice strong cardboard boxes(I send presents overseas)so dug one of these out,lined it with some nice paper,and then went outside.I walked around my veg garden and dug out some new potatoes,picked some shallots,mange tout,carrots,spicy lettuce leaves,black kale,and some parsley and chives.Placed them attractively in the box,and went round to present him with it.He truly loved it!!!!

Shirley

Re: An unusual birthday present!

sounds like the perfect pressie - nice idea.
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

Silver Ether

Perfect ... a welcome to the area .as well ... :icon_smile:
http://silverether.wordpress.com/

http://www.folksy.com/shops/Silverether

You can be as self-asservative as you like, I said, just so long as you do what you're told.' Esme Weatherwax.

happyhippy

You're right SusieGee,I sometimes take it for granted,especially this time of the year,that I can just nip outside and pick what I want for dinner! :iconbiggrin: Its only when you give away stuff and get really positive feedback you kind of stop and think "Yeah guess you're right"lol I am tempted to send my uni student daughter a veg box,could I send it through the post?I know she would also be thrilled!

Milims

How lovely :mrgreen: :flower:
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

little blue duck
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

lovely present, I'd be overjoyed to recieve such a marvellous gift!
My friend gave me a trowel and hand fork for mine, love him for it!

On a (almost) similar note ... my mum & dad often bring us some slightly bizarre "red cross parcels" - they'll buy a pack of 6 buns say, and take two out, tape up the pack & bring us the rest!
OH & I have had tonsilitis, been off work. Mum rang yesterday & said they were coming to shop in our town & had "veg for the guineas" (eg cabbage leaves & peelings for the animals)
I met them out on the path ... both were carrying a 12-pack of BOGOF Toilet rolls, mum's with three missing!
You can just imagine what the neighbours must be thinking, knowing I've not been at work!!

happyhippy

Little blue duck hope you're both feeling better real soon!Your Mum sounds the same as mine.When I lived in Australia,if I visited my Mum she'd always give me half a cake,or maybe 3/4 pkt of tea bags! These days,I send my daughter at uni an Asda card with money on it! :iconbiggrin: