Up or down?

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
MuddyWitch
A selfsufficientish Regular
latitude: 52.643985
longitude: -1.052939

Up or down?

A conversation with my eldest set me thinking: (it's ok, I'm taking it r e a l l y slowly :iconbiggrin: )

I regard Leicester 'down' from anywhere, but leaving that ( & any Carry On smuttiness :wink: ) aside, I generally think of going North as going 'up' the country, and (obviously) going South as going 'down'. I have a friend in Queen's Park who says if i travel to there then I'm going UP to London as it's 'up' from anywhere in the UK, being the capital.

And what about those of you South of the equator? Which direction, if any, is 'up' for you?

I'll stop thinking again now .....

MW
If it isn't a Greyhound, it's just a dog!

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

Re: Up or down?

As far as I'm concerned North is up and South is down.

Zoe

Marc
Living the good life
Living the good life

Yep, I always think of North as up. It's probably because is always at the top of the map - just seems to make sense. I wonder what the guys down under say?
I think if I lived up north then I'd say 'going down' to London.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein

Paul_C
Tom Good
Tom Good

please do not consider london up north or down south.

please consider it a portal to the gates of hell istelf and thus anything within the m25 should be nuked on general principles.

we wescountry folk despise being lumped in with "the south" as it makes us seem like total fools. we arnt we just like cider.

oldjerry

From Cornwall,everywhere else is 'Up Country', and it would be a shame to nuke an area where so many people show others,in more bucolic surroundings, with bigger gardens,acres of foraging etc. what being ishy really is.( personally I rate the Exeter rush hour far more depressing).

Graye

I think of North as up and South as down, although I still think of Birmingham as down from where we live now when it is more or less straight across!

Talking of Cornwall, OH's father was a Cornishman. When he left to move to Yorkshire his family described this event as "Ken going to England". So up didn't come into it, he had just gone abroad!
Growing old is much better then the alternative!

Milims

Apparently and techincally you go "Up" to the capital - i.e. "Up" to London. However, when one lives closer to the capital of Scotland than England it begs the question - Which way is Up? :scratch: :?
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

boboff

One does not go up to London, one goes to Town.

As for a Cornishperson, I have grown up with the phrase when leaving Cornwall, Plymouth especially as going up the "line"

In my own view you get to the M5 at Bristol, and it's all down hill from there!
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

that_sarah_girl
Tom Good
Tom Good

I grew up in just outside London and now live in Wigan. When I visit my family I always go "down" to visit and they come "up" to visit me.
I find it odd when friends from London say "when are you next coming up?"...it doesn't make sense.
boboff wrote:One does not go up to London, one goes to Town.
This is true. I use to say "going into Town" when I was going into central London. I also say "going into Town" now when I'm going into Manchster (my nearest Big city). Although this probably isn't correct.

Also, when I talk about "The South" or "Southerners" in my head I automatically exclude people from the South West.

mrsflibble
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

norht is up. south is down.

the midlands are up from here (essex). kent is down.
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!

Big Al

THE diffinitive answer is this.

From My front door in (h)Artlepool going to Peterlee, Sunderland, Newcastle is going north and as such we are hardy northerners with cold newcastle brown ale for beer. Going to Middlesborough, Redcar, York etc is going south and we are likely to chance across those soft southerners, warm larger and funny accents.

Nothing contentious there then!!

BA :lol:
Member of the Ishloss weight group 2013. starting weight 296.00 pounds on 01.01.2013. Now minus 0.20 pounds total THIS WEEK - 0.20 pounds Now over 320 pounds and couldn't give a fig...
Secret Asparagus binger

Lost-in-the-Day
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Pretty much everywhere in the UK is up from Jersey. :dontknow: Back when I lived in Durham I went up to Newcastle and down to Somerset so going to have to go with up being North and down being South.
Stop Animal Cruelty this Christmas- http://lost-in-the-day.blogspot.com/201 ... stmas.html

happyhippy

North is up and South is down.Even driving north up the M6 feels like you're driving up hill? :iconbiggrin:

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

happyhippy wrote:North is up and South is down.Even driving north up the M6 feels like you're driving up hill? :iconbiggrin:
Hmmm, that's very true. When I go to visit my friend in Chester, it always takes longer to get there than to get home. That must mean that I'm travelling uphill on the way there (and nothing to do with the fact that I travel UP there on a busy Friday night and back DOWN on Sunday afternoon). :lol:

Zoe

Millymollymandy

North up, south down. Used to live west of London but fractionally north of the centre (in South Bucks) so going into London wasn't up nor down. I think we just said we were going into London. When I lived in West London we'd go into Town if we meant the west end.
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/