Greeting from Memphis, TN

We love hearing from you, so here is your chance. Introduce yourself and tell us what makes you selfsufficient 'ish'. Go on don't be shy, we welcome one and all. You can also tell us how you heard about us if you like.
GregTraver
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Greeting from Memphis, TN

I am a full time Father who works from home. Having read many posts here I felt at home and it seemed to be a good match for my personality. My schedule does not permit a lot of running about with social entertainments so it is a challenge to "meet" folks of a like mind. I have decided to throw my hat in this forum, I really have no desire to talk shop - I'm here to get away from that! I have tried a couple forums to no avail, having to pay a fee seems counter-productive and I really hate spammers! Looking forward to meeting some new friends and hopefully develop a few close relationships in the process. Best regards (and no, I've never been to Graceland)

Millymollymandy
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Greeting from Memphis, TN

Darn, I wanted to ask you all about Graceland. :iconbiggrin: Hi Greg and welcome!
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

Paul_C
Tom Good
Tom Good

hi greg by any chance are you of the NFL following persuasion?

not that im just going to my folks to watch this evening playoff games.

GregTraver
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Thank you SusieGee, your very kind! I just love your quote, so true on so many levels.
And about Graceland... It was a nice area -back in the day- but it is not anywhere you really want to go unarmed. I always feel so bad for tourists who spend so much money to fulfill a life long dream only to find out first hand that Graceland is a neighborhood no one wants to visit. It is very sad and the irony of "In the Ghetto" is hard to escape.

Yes Paul, I am very much of the NFL persuasion ( that is if we are talking about football <laughing>)... I have been a New York Giants fan since I was a kid, so I am really enjoying this year. They seem to be hitting their peak at the right time and you never know, they won the big one as a wildcard before and they nearly won the last encounter with the Packers... And Tim Tebow, wow, quite an accomplishment for a kid right out of college, huh?

old tree man
latitude: 54.5619 N
longitude: 0.9874 W
Facebook Name: Don't have one

hello :wave: :flower:
Respect to all, be kind to all and you shall reap what you sow.
old tree man,
aka..... Russ

MuddyWitch
latitude: 52.643985
longitude: -1.052939

Welcome to ISH :flower:

MW
If it isn't a Greyhound, it's just a dog!

Milims

Hi there and welcome :wave:
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

Millymollymandy

Greg - it's funny as I was being ironic (didn't put it across very well!) but now you have mentioned that I've just looked it up on google satellite and see that it's just a big house lost in the midst of urban sprawl.

Lasagna Raso
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Hi there, welcome to this great forum :wave:

Paul_C
Tom Good
Tom Good

GregTraver wrote:Thank you SusieGee, your very kind! I just love your quote, so true on so many levels.
And about Graceland... It was a nice area -back in the day- but it is not anywhere you really want to go unarmed. I always feel so bad for tourists who spend so much money to fulfill a life long dream only to find out first hand that Graceland is a neighborhood no one wants to visit. It is very sad and the irony of "In the Ghetto" is hard to escape.

Yes Paul, I am very much of the NFL persuasion ( that is if we are talking about football <laughing>)... I have been a New York Giants fan since I was a kid, so I am really enjoying this year. They seem to be hitting their peak at the right time and you never know, they won the big one as a wildcard before and they nearly won the last encounter with the Packers... And Tim Tebow, wow, quite an accomplishment for a kid right out of college, huh?

yesterdays game wasnt a case of who played best but of who played the least worse. i was somewhat vocal around my bears fan father about the pitiful play the packers were showing. my personal opinion is that the seconday have coasted all year because they "know" rodgers and his recivers can get it done so the pressure is off. they were playing such an open zone that even a cripple like me could make plays against them.

the offence was just shoddy. no drive, lazy ball control. they didnt deserve to be the no1 seed

GregTraver
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Thank you all for the very warm welcomes! I am just now getting back on my feet after having another procedure done on my back and it sure is nice to read your greetings and remember that there are so many others who share a love of growing as much as I. :hugish:
(Now, does anyone want come over and help me build a few new raised beds? I've got plenty of iced tea! j/k LOL!)

Minnesota
Living the good life
Living the good life

greetings Greg,
I would love to help you out with a raised garden,I wish it wasn't so far away.
my troybilt tiller sits idle much of the year :(

I use a raised row style of gardening. I adopted that after many years of trying to garden "in the flat" on a very low piece of land...always too wet, and is a real problem with the heavy soil in my county. I've had much success after making the raised rows and the "lowered" walkways act like drainage ditches.

GregTraver
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Well thanks Man, That was a really nice gesture! I think you have got the right idea with what you have described. Poor drainage is a killer! Literally! I've been anxious to try out a new idea. I am going to try a high density growing technique using hydroponic grow bags, but outside. They are 5 gallon size white bags with black lining and drainage holes. I plan on filling them with about 90% white sand and then top them off with my own compost and plant/sow directly. I've got a new watering device that will let me water four times a day or more and I think that will work nicely with our climate here. I just have to go really, really slow for now and not bend over and I will get by just nicely (I hope)

GregTraver
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Looking back at earlier posts from the fall, I thought that the Giants were just starting to hit their stride and getting things ironed out. It made for an incredible season for fans like me, watching them come from wild card status and taking it all the way to a victory in the SuperBowl. They trounced a lot of good teams (and some that only thought that they were great) Say what you will, they one the Big One! And nothing will ever take that away! :cheers:

Millymollymandy

Hi, nice to see you back again Greg and I hope you are well on the road to recovery!