Good Blag

Want to talk about how to keep stuff out of landfill? Here is your place to do it.
Crickleymal
Living the good life
Living the good life

Good Blag

My wife spotted some sheets of MDF behind some industrial units the other day. As I need some to make one of these http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYHCO_tvF1A we went and asked in the unit whether we could have some.
"Just help yourself, there's plenty more in the skip and it'll be drier. Just don't injure yourself."
So we came away with 6 sheets of 4ft by 3ft by 1cm thick MDF for free.
Malc

High in the sky, what do you see ?
Come down to Earth, a cup of tea
Flying saucer, flying teacup
From outer space, Flying Teapot

Flo
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Good Blag

A good blag is always handy.

I've recently gained four good pallets free delivered along with a large order from the local garden centre. Just by asking nicely. Missed out on a free compost bin as I shut down my email too early in the evening. There were only four bins and I was reply number 6. Oh dear.

I've gained a good shovel, a good wheelbarrow and a good scaffold board to use across the double gate of the allotment to prevent cars parking in the entrance just by asking family to keep an eye open for stuff. It all turned up in the family van. I've exchanged scrap metal that never came in useful over 6 years on the allotment for some new tree stakes. Think that the cost will be in favour of the son-in-law taking the scrap metal but he has had to use his van to deliver stakes and take said metal away so it needs to cover petrol I suppose.

I've swapped a lot of spare plants for a year's supply of chicken droppings for the compost heap. I've been the net gainer there.

Skippy
Living the good life
Living the good life

Having worked in the building industry for some time one of the things that irritated me was the waste, not just timber but all sorts of stuff is simply chucked. Bank refurbs seem to me the worst with perfectly good interiors ripped out just to be replaced, and I do mean ripped out not taken out carefully. I've been in banks where we waited with hammers in hand for the staff to finish where upon we would stream in to demolish it as new counters were being delivered in a couple of hours so the bank could be up and running again the following morning. All the old stuff went straight in the skip which probably accounts for something like a million tons of wood going to landfill every year.
As a result of my dislike for waste I have become a bit of a magpie and have quite a bit of wood and other stuff stored and that doesn't include what my wife has stuck on e-bay.
So congrats on saving that mdf.

Pete

Crickleymal
Living the good life
Living the good life

I only wish I could have taken more. But half of it was wet and the rest would have meant climbing into the blokes skip and heaving stuff around which I didn't feel up to.
Malc

High in the sky, what do you see ?
Come down to Earth, a cup of tea
Flying saucer, flying teacup
From outer space, Flying Teapot