Indoor gardening

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Indoor gardening

Just after I wrote the front page article about growing vegetables indoors, see > http://www.selfsufficientish.com/main/2 ... e-growing/ I thought I ought to put my money where my mouth is, so to speak.
I had already started my winter tomatoes off, so I decided to grow some dwarf French beans as well. The seed was planted at the beginning of January and grown on my windowsill in 2 troughs, to prove that the effort was worth doing.
So, eleven weeks later and it's all looking worthwhile. At the moment there are only enough beans for one very small helping, but it's the start of what should be several larger helpings until outdoor grown ones take over.
Besides a small helping of beans together with freshly picked tomatoes and lettuce makes a reasonable salad for mid March
Beans1.jpg
Beans1.jpg (161.67 KiB) Viewed 2832 times
Beans2.jpg
Beans2.jpg (161.05 KiB) Viewed 2832 times
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: Indoor gardening

That's fantastic, Tony.

Our light levels are only just becoming useful but we've got tomato plants ready for the polytunnel and, for reasons known only to himself, some very straggly broad beans (we'd agreed revamping the raised beds and are not particularly keen on them anyway :dontknow: ).

On the up side our favourite chilli, which looked dead, but was left on the windowsill because we've been otherwise occupied (and been given only the occasional drink when watering everything else) is flourishing. :cheers:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Harvest time :lol:
Well a few anyway, but enough for a taster for the two of us for Sunday dinner.

I have been picking enough veg to keeps us sufficient, sprouts, calabrese, cauliflowers, spring cabbage, spring greens & PSB, but this is the first veg to be picked this year that was actually sown this year.
Worth it just for the brag value :iconbiggrin:
Beans3.jpg
Beans3.jpg (107.69 KiB) Viewed 2787 times
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

We're still eating kale, beet greens and swiss chard that survived the 100mph winds in January. And, believe it or not, I think that both the lime and the lemon trees have survived in the bit of the polytunnel that didn't blow down - the looks to be signs of budding. I just hope they weren't too traumatised. We had a previous lemon tree die after a harsh winter in our old greenhouse.
Fingers crossed.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin