Hi from Australia

We love hearing from you, so here is your chance. Introduce yourself and tell us what makes you selfsufficient 'ish'. Go on don't be shy, we welcome one and all. You can also tell us how you heard about us if you like.
RodGRDC
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Hi from Australia

Hi there,

Moved out from lovely sunny Croydon in SE London last May and now live in a quiet suburb of Canberra. Rolling hills and national parks in every direction!

Im slowly winning my long suffering partner round to the idea of growing our own vegetables and maybe keeping a few chooks.

Bless him, he just shakes his head and sighs agreement. He'll learn!

I have really enjoyed reading your site, and will certainly be putting a few of the practices in place once the garden is sorted.

Keep up the good work.

From an Ex-pat,

Rod
Don't go to bed angry...
Stay up and fight!

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hi Rod and welcome to the Forum

What is it about Croydon I don't think I have ever come across anyone who stil actualy lives there :wink:

If you are new to this game then don't be afraid to post any questions at all. We all got to start somewhere and I think most of us are still learning. :lol: You are right your partner will learn and probally end up getting into growing veg and keeping chooks more than you!
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

G'DAy Rod,

I'm in Sydney, good to see another Aussie on the forum ( even if we had to import you) :mrgreen:

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

RodGRDC
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Thanks Nev!

Glad to get away from the rat race let me tell you. Commuting to and From Westminster daily sucked the life out of me. My partner, Canberran born and bred said 'enough is enough - I want to go home' and so we upped sticks and flew!

I am now working for an R&D organisation that invest in Australian Farms, grain research, plant technologies (the non-GM type). Its given me the impetus I need to finally get on and do the self-sufficient'ish' lifestyle.

I will never be able to go the whole 100%, I like my gadgets too much!

Rod
Don't go to bed angry...
Stay up and fight!

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

G'Day Rod,

Yeah, I live on a small suburban block and do what I can, keeps me interested. Now you're here you might want to keep a look out for Grass Roots magazine (they also publish my stuff) and Earth Garden Magazine, which is abit more techo.

Lots of luck with Canberra, it gets bloody hot in summer and bloody cold in winter (but I suppose your used to the cold at least!) :mrgreen:

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/