Guest speaker on all things self sufficient!

If you know of a way to help save our planet, even just a small part of it put it here. Also if you want to ask how to help, or even if you want to promote your environmental organisation. All goes here.
Naomi
Tom Good
Tom Good

Guest speaker on all things self sufficient!

We have confirmation that Pat Gardiner of Self -Sufficiency in Style fame and his wife Mrs P, will be giving a talk on all things self sufficient, to the newly formed Lincolnshire Smallholder and Self-Sufficiency Club on the Thursday 2nd June at 6.30 pm at 'The Farm' ,Chapel St Leonard's Near Anderby Creek, Lincolnshire!
Meeting to be held in "The Real Food" Restaurant at 'The Farm'! Licenced bar at the venue.
Come along as entry to the first meeting is free! :cheers:

Pat's website can be viewed here.
http://pages.britishlibrary.net/patgardiner/
Last edited by Naomi on Thu May 05, 2005 7:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Muddypause
A selfsufficientish Regular
Location: Urban Berkshire, UK (one day I'll find the escape route)

Re: Guest speaker on all thing self sufficient!

Naomi wrote:We have confirmation that Pat Gardiner of Self -Sufficiency in Style fame and his wife Mrs P, will be giving a talk on all things self sufficient, to the newly formed Lincolnshire Smallholder and Self-Sufficiency Club.
I've dropped into his website a few times. Sometimes it's hard to know what to make of the guy (or am I the only one that thinks that?). But I have no doubt he will be interesting.

I used to live in Norfolk, and there were a few characters like that around.

His website seems to imply that he's been quite ill lately; I wonder if he's no the road to recovery?
Stew

Ignorance is essential

Naomi
Tom Good
Tom Good

Yes I believe he has been ill, but I am unaware of just how ill?
I am sure many people think his website is a little controversial.
However, in my opinion, many of his views are much like those held by the late great John Seymour .
The Gardiner's ability to live self sufficiently and yet to live extremely well, is clear ,if you take the time to read the many pages in the diary on the website.
I think he is a man that simply speaks his mind!. He certainly knows his stuff .
I am looking forward to his talk and think it will be a very interesting evening.

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have come across John on a forum once, he was moaning that he thought we were copying him. I set him straight and he seemed quite civil after that. I have also spoke to people who have met him and he does sound like an intertesting character and I bet he is a lot cheaper to book than Hugh Fernley. :wink:
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

Naomi
Tom Good
Tom Good

Sadly John Seymour died last year. I would have loved for him to come to one of our meetings, as he was a very wise man .
I have Pat Gardiner coming to give our talk and for free. He has actually lived self sufficiently, so he knows his stuff!
He also knows that most self sufficient folk are penniless and so has offered his and his wifes time and knowledge for free!
I wouldn't have a clue about booking Hugh .F.W. He is a tv star rather than a real smallholder now!
We want grass roots info for our members.From those that have really lived the life.

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Actually I ment Pat not John :oops:
and...... Twitter

Muddypause
Location: Urban Berkshire, UK (one day I'll find the escape route)

Andy Hamilton wrote:I bet he is a lot cheaper to book than Hugh Fernley. :wink:
Acquaintance of mine is a chef (he runs http://www.vegiventures.com/ ). He was involved in organising some local village fete or somesuch a few years ago, and enquired how much Ainsley Harriot (a 'Celebrity Chef' here in the UK) would charge for an hour or two's appearance.

£10,000!

Plus VAT!

We concluded that this was his way of saying that he didn't want the gig.
Stew

Ignorance is essential

Naomi
Tom Good
Tom Good

I have purposely steered clear of "star" smallholders,butchers,cooks etc .
I knew their time wouldn't be given for free and that their lifestyle doesn't really reflect what self sufficiency is all about. What our club needs is real advice, from real people, who live real lives.
I have had a huge amount of support so far, for our newly formed club. We have some info being sent to us to distribute to our members from the WFA (wholesome food association) Sky Mc Cain of the WFA has also offered to give a talk at one of our meetings for free.
I have had an alpaca breeder also offer to give us a talk and demonstration on the uses of their fibre, a butcher has offered to show sausage making and home curing. A rabbit breeder and worm breeder also wants to give a talk .
The list goes on!
All these people have offered their time freely.
I am truly amazed at the level of support we are getting and hope that the club goes from strength to strength. It will certainly be a useful resource for local people!

Chickenlady

Still love Hugh, though. He has changed lots of people's opinions about food and introduced some to a different view of living that they would probably never considered.

He's not a hardline self sufficient bod, though (but then neither am I.)

Pat sounds like a genuine and generous person to give his time for nothing.

Naomi
Tom Good
Tom Good

I love HFW too.
But although he has raised awareness about certain aspects of smallholding and food production good and bad ,he sadly seems, lately, to have lost that special spark he had in his earlier programmes.
It seems to be more about running a business now and less about home food production.
That's fine. I congratulate him on his success. At least it makes people aware of how their food is produced.That can only be a good thing!

I want to raise awareness, to a number of issues, not covered in any depth in his programmes and that is small scale production, purely for home use. The ability to prepare ,grow or rear food .To store it for long periods using different methods e.g.smoking, drying, salting, pickling, bottling etc etc
To use these traditional skills to enable you to live simply and yet live well.

This concept I think was explained perfectly by the author Patrick Rivers in his books 'Living Better on Less' and 'Living On A Little Land'.
I recommend them.

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

I haven't seen them around, I will keep a look out for them Naomi, thanks.

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

Naomi
Tom Good
Tom Good

2nd June Self Sufficiency meeting!

Meeting starts at 6.30 pm on Thursday 2nd June at 'The Farm' Chapel St Leonard's ,near Anderby Creek, Lincolnshire!
In the "Real Food Restaurant" at "The Farm
"

Free :shock: entry to the first meeting, but contributions may be made?

Talk on Self Sufficiency by Pat Gardiner! Starts at 7pm. :flower:

Membership forms to join 'The Lincs Smallholding and Self Sufficiency Club' available at the meeting.

Wholesome food Association information also available.

Contact the club by email to Debbie: sssml@T***o.net

See you there!

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have to say well done again Naomi, it is fantastic to see that you have taken the initative to do something that will actively help your community.
and...... Twitter

Naomi
Tom Good
Tom Good

Thanks Andy.
I must admit things seem to be moving fast.
We have had lots of interest from new members and those even wishing to host events on their smallholdings.
I even had a journalist from a local newspaper here today, asking about the new club! They are writing a feature on us.
It is fantastic that there is such interest and it shows that there is a community out there who want more information, about a more sustainable lifestyle , home produced organic food , traditional skills, small scale livestock keeping and rare breeds etc.

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

G'DAy Naomi,

I must say that I am green with envy :mrgreen: about your club! It's a shame that it is too far for me to come! How about letting us know the steps you wnt through to establish it? I am now considering trying a similar thing. What a bout an article on how you did it for Andy, I'm sure he wouldn't mind putting it up and there would be other people as well as myself who would like to know.

what do you reckon?
:wink:
Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/