Fat Quarters

Homebrew, cordials, cheese, dehydrating, smoking and soap making. An area for all problems to be asked, tips to be given and procedures shared.
the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Fat Quarters

I bought some wonderful Fat Quarters the other day - they're both john Deere Tractor designs!

I want to make something with them, but i have no interest in quilting, and i've got enough cushions already.

Anyone got any ideas? i bought them thinking that i'd line a small bag with them, but they're a bit too nice to be used as lining!

Any patterns/ideas etc would be appreciated!

Ta very muchly

Thomzo
A selfsufficientish Regular
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

How many did you get, Fee?

You could just frame them and hang them on the wall. Paint the frames in funky colours to co-ordinate with the fabric.

Use them to make hanging bags with a drawstring top. Then hang them from a peg board to store things in.

A combination of the two. Cut them down to a suitable size and sew two together to make the bags, then frame the leftovers on the wall opposite or alongside.

If you have a glass fronted cupboard you can put the fabric on the inside of the door which will display it nicely and hide any clutter inside. If you want to see the clutter then use the fabric to line the inside of the cupboard.

What about a headband or hankerchief?

Make into a shopping bag.

Zoe

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

I've got two. They're both really nice. I was thinking of a tote bag possibly, but they're the kind of thing i want to wear!! Or at least use in something that will last for a long time.

I've got some more coming too...hearts and stars...

I was thinking maybe a quick and easy patchwork quilt - just sew together loads of FQs and be done with it.

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

I like the bag and framed pic approach though...thats tempting!!

Thomzo

If you made them into shopping bags you could use them every time you go shopping.

Little jam pot covers from any left overs.

Cut into 2 x 9inch squares (plus hems). Put some heat-proof wadding in between and quilt together to make pot holders - then hang in the kitchen. Practical and decorative.

Get them laminated with a heat-proof laminator (a photographic shop might be able to do this for you) and use as place mats. Not very ssish though.

Quilt them with a plain backing to make place mats. I reckon you'd only manage one out of each quarter with a lot of waste so probably better if you cut out 4 smaller rectangles and patchwork together.

What about making pennants to hang around the room? Cut into triangles, hem and hang from string. They would look good if you used them with co-ordinating plain fabric to make curtains with the pennants as decoration at the top.

Sorry you were asking for clothing but all I could think of was home stuff.

Zoe

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

ooh no, not necessarily clothing!

I like the pennant idea too, they'd look good in the window, with the curtains.

oooh, so many ideas!!

Thomzo

Ha - ideas I can do. It's the carrying it out that I never quite get round to. Not quite enough round tuits in my house.

funkypixie
Living the good life
Living the good life

How about making bunting to hang up for birthdays? Reusable decorations - yay! (Ours goes up for everything :lol: )

Anna x
Just when you think you're in it up to your neck & it can't get any worse, something craps on your head.

Millymollymandy

OK as nobody else has asked...... what on earth is a Fat Quarter? :shock:

zombiecazz
Tom Good
Tom Good

Millymollymandy wrote:OK as nobody else has asked...... what on earth is a Fat Quarter? :shock:
My thoughts exactly!!
My heart's in the Highlands, my heart is not here; My heart's in the Highlands a-chasing the deer.

My website:http://scottishcountrylife.110mb.com

Merry

It`s just a quarter metre of fabric not cut as a strip but as a - - fat rectangle. Not as easy to describe as I thought it would be - sort of flag shaped - - sort of - - :lol:

funkypixie
Living the good life
Living the good life

If you measure out a metre of fabric, normally it would be cut into quarters at 25cm intervals down the length of the fabric, leaving you with long thin strips.

A fat quarter (normally cut like this for quilting) is cut like you would cut a round of bread into quarters, with one horizontal and one vertical cut that cross at the centre, leaving you with fatter rectangles, rather then long thin ones.

As Merry said, they look more flag shaped.
Just when you think you're in it up to your neck & it can't get any worse, something craps on your head.

Millymollymandy

Thanks, I'm with you now.... I think! :lol:

red

funkypixie wrote:If you measure out a metre of fabric, normally it would be cut into quarters at 25cm intervals down the length of the fabric, leaving you with long thin strips.

A fat quarter (normally cut like this for quilting) is cut like you would cut a round of bread into quarters, with one horizontal and one vertical cut that cross at the centre, leaving you with fatter rectangles, rather then long thin ones.

As Merry said, they look more flag shaped.
ohhh thanks for that - I have always wondered!
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

funkypixie
Living the good life
Living the good life

I am FULL of useless information :lol:

Ax