Stand up Comedy

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Stand up Comedy

TV seems to be sadly lacking in Stand Up comedy. I find myself resorting to youtube to get a fix. Currently been enjoying Steve Wrights stuff (not the DJ). I also enjoy Mark watson and Ardal o'hanlon.

So why the demise in stand up and instance of funny panel shows instead? Anyway, any comedians that you find funny out there?
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

colhut
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Well, I'd always throw in a vote for Marcus Brigstock, makes regular appearances on the now show (Radio 4). Brilliantly funny !
How hard can it be, how long can it take. What could POSSIBLY go wrong

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

They've all moved to the comedy channel on Foxtel!

Billy Connelly
Eliott Goblet........

It's been a while sinsce I've seen any too, too bloody busy! :mrgreen:

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

Muddypause
A selfsufficientish Regular
Location: Urban Berkshire, UK (one day I'll find the escape route)

colhut wrote:Well, I'd always throw in a vote for Marcus Brigstock, makes regular appearances on the now show (Radio 4). Brilliantly funny !
Until two days ago, I put him in the category of OK, but no more than that. But then I discovered that he plays and co-writes Giles Wemmbley-Hogg ("Two M's, two G's") which can be pretty funny (Radio 4), so he's gone up to Really Quite Good.

I'd vote for pretty much anything by Andy Hamilton (no, not Selfsufficientish guru Andy Hamilton; comedy writer and performer Andy Hamilton), Victoria Wood, the much missed Linda Smith, Jenny Eclair, Sandi Toksvig...
Stew

Ignorance is essential

ina

I'm with Muddy here - I don't watch telly anyway, but I get enough funnies on Radio 4. (Can be listened to worldwide not only online, but also on long wave. :mrgreen: )
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

red

most of the funny stuff starts at radio 4 - it seems - and then often is 'promoted' to tv - where it does not translate as well. himself introduced me to radio 4 - before that I was floundering around a bit, now too fuddy duddy to appreciate radio 1, not feeling old enough to enjoy Wogan... quite enjoy the comedy on radio 4 - although it is more panel shows then stand up. mostly though I catch radio 4 in the morning - with John Humpries giving some politician a hard time. not sure its the right way to start the day...
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

ina

red wrote:with John Humpries giving some politician a hard time. not sure its the right way to start the day...
Not for the politician, I always think!

But you are right about those programmes that are moved to TV. Have I got news for you was on Radio 4 in the beginning, wasn't it?
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yes i think have I got news for you did start on radio 4, so did dead ringers, the mighty boosh, little britain....

I never catch the comedy on Radio 4 except for sorry I haven't a clue every now and then. Must try the listen again thing.
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

funkypixie
Living the good life
Living the good life

6.30pm most nights seems to be the time to listen. I don't know what I'd do without R4 :roll:

*old before my time blog...*
Just when you think you're in it up to your neck & it can't get any worse, something craps on your head.

Muddypause

Strictly speaking, R4 has The News Quiz, and TV has HIGNFY, but the format is pretty much identical (except for the transient chairpeople on the TV version).

I got a DAB radio a while ago, which means I can get BBC 7, which is a wall to wall radio comedy archive. I'm amazed at just how many TV comedies were also made for radio - Dad's Army, Steptoe & Son, Whatever Happened To The Likely Lads, One Foot In The Grave... I never remember hearing them when they were made - when were they on? The story lines and cast are the same as the TV series that they are adapted from. There was even a follow up to Dad's Army, set just after the war, which has to rate as one of radio comedy's low points.

But there is some good stuff in amongst the dross. I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue is a perennial radio gem, and Just A Minute is not far behind.
Stew

Ignorance is essential

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

a DAB radio Stew?

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

Muddypause

Digital Audio Broadcasting, Nev. I bought a very small receiver, which doesn't have all the bells and whistles, and has to run through an audio amp, but it's a marked improvement on the old steam driven thing I used to have, and means I can receive a few extra stations. One or two of them are even worth listening to.
Stew

Ignorance is essential

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

I like:

Eddie Izzard
Billy Connoly
Jasper Carrott
Mitch Benn
Bill Bailey
Marcus Brigstocke
Ardal O'Hanlon
That girl with the ventriloquists dummy...
Jeff Foxworthy (texan)
Bill Engvall (Texan)
And a few more that i can't remember right now

Jarmara
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I am also a great Radio 4 fan could listen to it all day sigh
but it does start the evening of nice 6.30pm comedy follwed by the Archers perfect start to a wonderful night !

Fav stand ups
Jo Brand
Billy Connolly
victoria wood
jasper carrott
Jack Dee
A true friend tells you what you need to hear , not what you want to hear!